Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some non-"we are all rich now" news

Tesla Joins Coronavirus Vaccine Hunt: Elon Musk Pledges 'RNA Microfactories'

Tesla (TSLA) is teaming up with Germany's CureVac to create "RNA microfactories" for coronavirus vaccines, Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said late Wednesday.

Messenger RNA platforms are at the center of coronavirus vaccine efforts from Moderna (MRNA), BioNTech (BNTX) and Translate Bio (TBIO). The idea is to hijack a natural process by which the body creates proteins. Instead, these vaccines would prompt the body to make an antigen necessary to stoke an immune response.

But even this method of vaccine development is time-consuming. Musk wants to change that.

"Tesla, as a side project, is building RNA microfactories for CureVac & possibly others," Musk said in a late Wednesday tweet. He also noted: "In principle, I think synthetic RNA (and DNA) has amazing potential. This basically makes the solution to many diseases a software problem."

That really is embarrassing.

People need to stop treating the media as if they were more than they are. Very few of them have any more information or insight than the guy on the bar stool next to you.
But they have an agenda and spread that agenda to more people than the guy on the bar stool.

My philosophy: Focus on expected quality of life. If your natural drive pushes you towards ambitious projects, go for it. But money, beyond the necessary amount, is largely a proxy of society's appreciation of one's contributions. Doing what society expects or desires is not the best path to happiness. I see a lot of brilliant people fall into the trap of doing what they're expected to (and pays well), rather than what leads to the best life.

I strongly doubt you're in that crowd, seeing as you're an accomplished contrarian investor and all, but figured I'd share my thoughts :)

Of course, an extra million in the bank does have the potential to lead to increased quality of life. Both in terms of how interesting the journey towards it is, and in terms of pure economic power. But if your monetary needs are covered, I'd think that focusing on the enjoyment of whatever you choose to pursue should be a priority. Economic or social impact is mostly a moot point in that case.

I mean, look at the super brilliant >150 IQ folks. Most of them live in a completely separate world where they only focus on esoteric stuff that doesn't interest anyone else. Do you know the game Dwarf Fortress? There's a pair of genius brothers dedicating their life to making that game. It's completely esoteric.

I think I feel my position here as Zen instructor is threatened. Get off my lawn!

I FOMO'd on Monday at $950.
I FOMO'd again yesterday at $1130 (yeah, I can sure pick'em!).
I FOMO'd again -- although it's not really FOMO, I know what I'm doing, seriously! -- a few minutes ago at $1198. And I'm feeling pretty good about myself right now.

In investing they call that dollar cost averaging.

So basically, you're a pro!

Checking in with TSLAQ this morning. I would almost pity them if they weren't such a despicable group of people.

Literally all that's left of the bear thesis is conspiracy theory. The current claim is that the arrest of Ghislaine Maxwell this morning is because Tesla stock is up, and the FBI wants to act fast in implicating Elon in Epstein's crimes before Musk becomes too powerful.

Ah the "Too big to jail" theory.

We enjoyed checking off another milestone on our Dream Board today. We had posted this 'doctored' image on 11/9/2016 of TSLA reaching 1155.55 when TSLA was still trading at $188 per share. It has been on that board for almost 4 years now, and a lot of people laughed and scoffed when they saw this on our kitchen wall during that time. I am glad to be sharing the last laugh with the TMC crowd today. Cheers!

upload_2020-7-2_8-31-53.png

I’m trying to enjoy this bump, but it feels so anticlimactic. The moves Tesla made several years ago to position itself for success in China seemed to guarantee an SP of $1000+.

Like many of you in this forum, I did my dancing for joy years ago. The long time delay between expectation and fulfillment has dulled the senses.

That said, the Tesla/Musk story is still, amazingly, just in the early innings, so now is a good time to grab another beer and peanuts. With Battery Day approaching, it’s like the top of the order is about to come to bat again.

Covid has supercharged Tesla stocks and I believe pushed the sp rise forward. Competition are filing for bankruptcy, shutting down production, or cancelling projects. Tesla is also proving how resistant it is as there's zero demand drop off even with a pandemic and no tax credit. Every short thesis just got smashed with this p&d.

We need just more short thesis to be smashed which is this quarter being profitable. Tesla will be the only car company profitable this quarter which will make a smashing headline. How? By extracting more cash from previous car owners via software update which is impossible for any other automaker. And by proving just how high of a margin Tesla can achieve by the use of software and superior manufacturing process. Smash smash smash like the green hulk Tesla is.

I think Tesla is heading to 1500 after all these profit takers are done after s&p inclusion.

Last edited:
I read this link here from another thread: http://www.retailinvestor.org/pdf/Bengen1.pdf

Also, there's a lot of other forums around that concept, such as FIRE, too.

...just talk to your financial advisor about the best practice. It's their job (among other things).

Thanks for the thought. I thought it was obvious, but these don't apply to me anymore. Since we are wayy off topic by now, we should just put an end to this thread.

In investing they call that dollar cost averaging.

So basically, you're a pro!

Thank you for that, it helps to hear it sometimes!

My wife thinks all I do these days is stay online checking TSLA-related news and processing TSLA-related numbers, so I told her that according to my peers, I'm a pro and I apply dollar cost averaging. She still refuses to accept this reality. She did, however, bring up the possibility of future island purchases just now... I take this as a tacit appreciation of my efforts.