Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to know where that term came from. "Electronic vehicle" is so unnatural. Obviously it should be "electric vehicle", right? So it makes me think it came from the same place that brought us words like "Democrat" party and "entitlements". A conservative think tank brainstorming to help re-frame the way people think about things. I mean, "Democratic" party, the standard way to say it for decades, simply sounds too noble and good. And "entitlements" helps make a secure retirement sound like something only a spoiled rotten brat would demand.

"Electronic" car sounds old-fashioned and undesirable hence the preferred way for conservative supporters of the oil industry to refer to the latest perceived threat to their income stream.

Maybe it's a deliberate slight, or maybe these people are just idiots who really have no meaningful understanding of the thing they're talking about. How can you make the same stupid comments 5 years apart while disregarding everything that's happened in those 5 years?

Your last video was great! It really showed how much work has been going on and how much there is still to be done get it ready for the 22nd of September.

With future fly over videos it would be great if you could show more of the 1055 Page Avenue building that is also part of the roadrunner works. Your last video mostly showed 47700 Kato Rd plus the Amprius building across the street and I only caught a glimpse of 1055 Page Ave. It would be good if the flyover could cover all sides of both 1055 Page Avenue and 47700 Kato Rd so we can gauge the progress of the works.

@gabeincal to add to this, could you please take a closer look at the side of 47700 Kato Rd with all the services attached. I'm keen to see if we can figure out any reduction in air filtration requirements due to dry battery electrode implementation.

Also, if you could snoop around the materials on the ground to see if anything interesting pops up.

Third, would you be able to try and get a peek inside the top floor they're adding? Curious to know why they needed the extra height.

Thanks again.

Slide 4 suggests they will use the aluminium offcuts from the stamping machine to create the underbody casting.

If correct, that's got to be one of the most efficient capital uses I've heard of. Taking waste and turning it into one of the core components of the vehicle instead of just selling it for scrap.

Maybe it's a deliberate slight, or maybe these people are just idiots who really have no meaningful understanding of the thing they're talking about. How can you make the same stupid comments 5 years apart while disregarding everything that's happened in those 5 years?

Almost no one says:

electronic chainsaw
electronic pressure washer
electronic drill
electronic weed-eater
electronic pencil sharpener
electronic range
electronic toothbrush
electronic bicycle

But quite a few people say "electronic car". So I have to believe it was purposefully inserted into our lexicon by those who wish to slow adoption. A "true" conservative shows their allegiance by calling it an "electronic car". It's more about anti-EV than party affiliation (obviously) but the term "electronic car" is not an accident.

I'm pretty sure there are actual memos out there instructing that "electronic car" is the preferred term.

@gabeincal to add to this, could you please take a closer look at the side of 47700 Kato Rd with all the services attached. I'm keen to see if we can figure out any reduction in air filtration requirements due to dry battery electrode implementation.

Also, if you could snoop around the materials on the ground to see if anything interesting pops up.

Third, would you be able to try and get a peek inside the top floor they're adding? Curious to know why they needed the extra height.

Thanks again.

I will try my best! Does anyone know whether i’m okay flying around snooping?

More info from @KarenRei:
upload_2020-8-24_8-13-58.png

Lol, no it don't (at least not the supercapacitor part). None of Tesla, Jeff Dahn, SilLion, or Amprius are doing research on supercapacitors (Maxwell did in the past, but were acquired by Tesla for their dry electrode production tech).

Further, the paper cited in the Tesmanian article is from 2007. Author isn't an (ahem) scientist. This isn't a case of breaking news, it's a case of "news to me".

I wouldn't put too much weight on Tasmanian's prognostications for Bty Day tech reveals. Maybe follow "The Limiting Factor" on Youtube instead. Gordon "Gieszidy" (sp?) has got the big picture in focus and the broad stroke on canvas.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Totally disagree. When Smart Summon was released it was blowing minds from Coast to Coast as evidenced by over 100 YouTube videos. People were totally freaked out to see a car driving itself through a parking lot.

Maybe you have a short memory.;)

Naah I think you do.

For example you've already forgotten that not only was it almost a year late from original promised date, it still only works over very short range- it ignores parking lines, directions, and signs, and the actual Tesla website still falsely claims it'll work anywhere in the lot.

Actual FSD order page right this second said:
Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

That's factually untrue.

If you look elsewhere on teslas website they admit it'll only do that if you're within 200 feet of the car, not "anywhere in the parking lot"

But they leave that out and offer a much broader, inaccurate, promise on the page you actually buy the feature from.

Now- do they intend to EVENTUALLY have it do what they claim it does RIGHT NOW on the purchase page? Sure.

And I expect the re-write will allow a much better version of it to exist (and also the fabled reverse summon to finally exist too).

But Elons own language went from describing smart summon as mind blowing early on to "It finally almost doesn’t suck" shortly before release.

Bit of a walkback there :)

It's a very fun party trick right now- but it still doesn't even fully do the thing it claims and has claimed for nearly a year now to do when you buy it.

Now- as this all ties into battery day- Elon promised mind blowing, insane, like alien tech.

I expect (moreso than what we got out of summon) there will ben very significant tech stuff discussed... some of it running right now down the street, tour to follow.... and a lot more of it "coming soon" to gigafactories still under construction.

But other than Plaid S, much of it will go over the head of the typical casual investor/non-science guy in terms of any immediate impact from an investor perspective.... even moreso than autonomy day where other than the physical existence of HW3 we got basically 0 stuff shown that day in actual production/availability for quite some time after (and we still haven't hit all the stuff originally promised for end of 2019 there)

You'll get the usual genuinely informed/smart folks like ARK telling you why it's groundbreaking stuff and why it justifies a high share price (and they'll be right) but (as is often the case when Tesla discusses future stuff people don't really get) that'll be the exception reaction rather than the norm.

Last edited: