Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watch out, Warren! It's gonna be a 'Candy Buffet':

@elonmusk

May 5, 2018

"I’m starting a candy company & it’s going to be amazing"

I want Tesla candies is all relevant shapes (but not sizes)
  • Model S/X/3/Y
  • Original and new Roadster...
  • Cybertruck
  • Semi
  • Supercharger stall
  • Powerwall
  • Solar roof.
Or as a candy consumer would say :- Do it, Do it, Do It!!!!

So there's a thread on reddit r/options today

Tesla call volume will cause the stock to keep going up, with some basic option terminology. : options

One of the comments says this:
-----
Options traded today represent 230 million shares Actual number of shares in the market are 148 million (78 million were traded today)
-----

Can any of our option experts shed some light on these numbers? Are they normal, high, exceptionally high? Do they imply anything for the future (as in the rest of this week)?

This is entering bubble territory. But I believe it can hit $700 before dropping down to $350ish. Please, if you are using margin, start deleveraging. I think Tesla can be the world biggest company, in 5-8 years, not now!

unless FSD rewrite is actually convincing

Sold a lucrative option today after 1000% gain because I cannot stand the 30% margin that I’m using. Now I’m down to like 10%. I fully support a modest deleverage but not selling stocks unless I have to.

So there's a thread on reddit r/options today

Tesla call volume will cause the stock to keep going up, with some basic option terminology. : options

One of the comments says this:
-----
Options traded today represent 230 million shares Actual number of shares in the market are 148 million (78 million were traded today)
-----

Can any of our option experts shed some light on these numbers? Are they normal, high, exceptionally high? Do they imply anything for the future (as in the rest of this week)?
I am not an expert but volume does not equal anything known. Volume with options just indicates how many times a particular option was sold (opened), resold and bought back (which means it was finally closed). One can high frequency trade millions of the same strike option if they really wanted and it could represent the same 100 shares being sold(opened) and bought back(closed). What counts is how many are left open at the end of the day and typically as I have been watching things not many additional options end up opened compared to the days volume. Look back at last week when 10s of thousands of the 2200 strike Calls were traded and the next day only 2000 of them stuck around.

It's the same as the stock volume today... OMG I haven't even looked until now... 118,374,406!! is that right??
Anyway. That is not necessarily 118M different shares traded. That COULD have been 118M of the exact same share (altho we all know that's not true) but it could have been.

It appears the option trackers are all messed up from the split.
Does anyone have a chart or anything showing open interest? That is the important one to know.

-----

At a minimum they forgot to multiple the number of actual shares by 5. Yahoo lists the total number of shares as 931.81M, and the float as 742.62M. (And don't forget the additional ~62M "virtual" shares created by shorts.)

There were 118.3M shares traded today. So ~16% of the float was traded today, which seems high to me.

Last edited:
This is not a simple stock split. This was a distribution of a stock dividend, designed to shine a light on the manipulative practices of short sellers. A major reason for the huge gains in the SP over the last 3-4 weeks, is that those who have shorted TSLA under the Madoff Exemption have not been able to produce the dividend shares to the rightful owners at the pay date.. This is why many brokerages are giving some sort of BS reason why the dividend shares have not been delivered to the rightful owners. These manipulators are desperately trying to buy these post-split shares right now. They were due today, but the SEC, FINRA and the other abetting agencies are giving them a free ride for a few days. Those who understand what I am saying should be absolutely outraged about how our markets now operate.

For reference, here are a couple articles (dating back to 2012) on the "Madoff Exemption":
Yes, Naked Short Selling IS a Real Problem
Cat House Post # 7171

I have been posting similar thoughts without the inside understanding. I posted the split was done to expose or capture something fishy. I felt like Hiro was brought onboard. He abhors shortz.

Maybe I need to read it. For years I regretted buying our current house because it was too expensive and the mortgage used up too much of my income, and life would have been so much easier if we had stayed in our old house. But thanks to TLSA, I was able to pay off my new house in February. Now if I stay with my current lifestyle, I have plenty of money if I sell all my TSLA now and I would never have to worry about money again. But with my gains and what I believe will be future gains, I have now started eyeing a couple VERY expensive toys that I never thought I would be able to buy before. If I buy them, I will use up enough of my money that I will worry about monthly spending again (kind of like "house rich, money poor"). I guess I'm a slow learner, or I secretly like to suffer and worry about money....
And if you so choose, here’s a link! https://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Next-Door-Surprising-Americas/dp/1589795474/
It’s an easy read. It’s one a few books I read when starting my career that set me on a path towards financial independence. It convinced me then that not only was it possible, but it’s rather doable with that certain mindset (i.e., live within your means, frugality, quality vs quantity, build wealth not (bad) debt, (not) keeping up with the Jones’, selecting those big ticket items such as homes, cars, toys, etc.,....).

Walden by Thoreau. Beats the hell outta any "Millionaire" book.
In a nutshell. He saw a man need some things. But men trade time for having more things than they need. The time they spend making money for things they don't need is time they can't buy back. Time is limited. Money/things ain't.
And that is all I ever learned from my college Philosophy class. And the basis of my life.

And if you so choose, here’s a link! https://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Next-Door-Surprising-Americas/dp/1589795474/
It’s an easy read. It’s one a few books I read when starting my career that set me on a path towards financial independence. It convinced me then that not only was it possible, but it’s rather doable with that certain mindset (i.e., live within your means, frugality, quality vs quantity, build wealth not (bad) debt, (not) keeping up with the Jones’, selecting those big ticket items such as homes, cars, toys, etc.,....).
I read this book last year and at the time my biggest concern was how far can I cut back on living expenses to supercharge my investment.
Now, my concern is whats the best way for a 30 ish year old to get health insurance after quitting his day job. :D

Walden by Thoreau. Beats the hell outta any "Millionaire" book.
In a nutshell. He saw a man need some things. But men trade time for having more things than they need. The time they spend making money for things they don't need is time they can't buy back. Time is limited. Money/things ain't.
And that is all I ever learned from my college Philosophy class. And the basis of my life.
Sounds like you got it! Life-Energy-Money-Time balance and trade-offs. Money is just a means to an end. And then what? Many here are at or near that point and get to answer that question.

Yeah, “Millionaire” makes for a catchy title. Everyone’s $ number is different. That’s why there are varying terms now such as FIRE, Lean FIRE, Fat FIRE.

I read this book last year and at the time my biggest concern was how far can I cut back on living expenses to supercharge my investment.
Now, my concern is what's the best way for a 30 ish-year-old to get health insurance after quitting his day job. :D

Here in the Golden State, I bought an off-market Obamacare individual Silver PPO plan for my 25 y/o son from Health Net for only $598.86/mo because it was the only one accepted by Stanford healthcare. He always opts out of the UC SHIP which is an HMO.