Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my ZM is up 6.78% today (at least the stock is, my calls are up 25%). My FSLY stock is up 10.4%, my calls are up 32%. ARKK and ARKW are up, ARKQ is down. My tiny positions in DDOG and CRWD are up 2.9% and 5.1% respectively. I'm just not seeing anything that looks like a correction. TSLA is the least volatile of my holdings it seems.
I see the same, indexes all dropping but my watching list has more green than red.

My interpretation is people are selling index funds and parking the money in brands they trust.

I think it’s partially anticipating a correction, partially a down vote to indexes as they marches toward obsolescence. I suspect the news coverage of S&P not admitting TSLA played a non negligible role in the process.

Anyone knows a way to easily track the total size of index funds to validate whether this theory is true or not?

So, my ZM is up 6.78% today (at least the stock is, my calls are up 25%). My FSLY stock is up 10.4%, my calls are up 32%. ARKK and ARKW are up, ARKQ is down. My tiny positions in DDOG and CRWD are up 2.9% and 5.1% respectively. I'm just not seeing anything that looks like a correction. TSLA is the least volatile of my holdings it seems.

Great portfolio - I also own those stocks (not the ARK funds). However:
Fastly at $92 while high is $117.79 -> Down almost 22%
DDOG at $88 while high is $99 -> Down over 11% (I bought some at $80.38 today)
CRWD at $138 while high is $153 -> Down almost 10%
TSLA at $450 while high is $502 -> Down over 10%

Bloomberg - 3 hours ago: Rivian Faces Ban From Michigan Car Dealers in Direct-Sales Fight

Excerpt:

Michigan auto dealers are trying to block startup electric carmakers including Rivian Automotive Inc. and Lucid Motors Inc. from following in Tesla Inc.’s footsteps by selling vehicles directly to consumers and servicing them in the state.

A bill introduced in the Michigan legislature last week would block any manufacturer other than Tesla from selling cars to customers without a dealer as an intermediary and from owning and operating service and repair facilities. It could come up for a vote as soon as Tuesday, according to a Rivian official.

The 11-year-old company has raised about $6 billion from backers including Ford Motor Co. and Amazon.com Inc. It expects to begin production of its first two vehicles -- a battery-powered pickup and a sport-utility vehicle -- by mid-2021.

Elon Musk and Tesla Motors “crossed the Rubicon“ into Austin Texas. The war over dealership rent-seeking will be decided on the Colorado River; but unmistakably — for NADA and Elon Musk, that river is their Rubicon.

Last edited:
At least we may have allies in the fight now. I don't have any problems with Rivian or Workhorse. Especially with Rivian selling vehicles to Amazon, that may be a catalyst to them replacing that ageing USPS fleet (which, believe it or don't, were built by Northrop Grumman as a bone for a contract they lost). The postal fleet makes perfect sense to be electric!
It does but it's really hard to imagine the current administration going electric. Edit, well since some disagree...I mean if you think windmills cause cancer why buy electric trucks? ;)

So, Tim Urban (Wait But Why) apparently with Kurzgesagt are bringing "Something big tomorrow". On Battery Day. I'd like to bet that Elon has asked for them to come up with an article or video or both.

https://twitter.com/waitbutwhy/status/1308059109695029250?s=19
I love those guys so much.

Last edited:

I agree! I've assembled a nice basket of growth stocks and they usually gyrate more than Tesla. Ho hum, another 10% move day for a random growth stock. Here's my complete basket of growth stocks (don't judge me, it's an eclectic set) and TSLA was the 14th most volatile stock today!

upload_2020-9-21_13-49-56.png

I agree! I've assembled a nice basket of growth stocks and they usually gyrate more than Tesla. Ho hum, another 10% move day for a random growth stock. Here's my complete basket of growth stocks (don't judge me, it's an eclectic set) and TSLA was the 14th most volatile stock today!

View attachment 590655
Key word is 'today' o_Oo_O

Reactions: FYMR
I guess I shouldn't have said "can't", because of course clever people can always figure it out. In the REALLY bad old days, people road tripping in their Roadster would stop at campgrounds to use their 50amp plug, or where possible - use the Roadster Owner built "roadster network" (there are still owners to this day that maintain a network of chargers specifically for Roadsters).

Personally, I did the Canadian border to Mexican border trip back in 2013. I had Roadster specific chargers all along that route that I made use of, helpfully provided by the rest of the Roadster community.

So yes, it can be done. And I think you'd agree with no arm twisting that either down superchargers (something I've never experienced - yay) or non-existent superchargers make it, at best, difficult for most people to road trip through those areas.

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I fully agree we need chargers in the more remote paths before another charger in a popular area. I should've mentioned on that trip that I did the full width of Nevada (Reno to Baker) on one charge going 16mph under the speed limit to make it. And even then I had to plug in with a 120v over 2 nights to make it to the Utah supercharger. I've also done the North Cascades loop, getting to charge at RV stops 3 times to make it.

Reactions: adiggs