Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To act goofy and have a fun day of it?

You got 'funny' ratings, but you are not far off the mark.

Many on this forum are very smart about Musk/Tesla in general. It's still hard for people keep in mind what they know about Musk's general view of things. He has said that day-to-day stock price is totally worth ignoring, and he acts as if he means it.

He does want production numbers because that advances sustainable energy.

Battery Day is about honestly providing information. He does this to keep interest high in sustainable energy, EVs in particular.

An admirable quality about leaders is they reliably keep to the broader, longer view of things.

Only a few hours before it's apparent to the most uninformed just how STUPID Gordon Johnson really is. Because he said twice that people think Tesla makes batteries but that Tesla doesn't make any batteries.

How that gonna look when we see Kato Rd. video of thousands of batteries snaking around a modern battery production line on high-speed conveyors? :p
Well, that would be a production line for cells. Tesla already does, and has since 2008, manufactured batteries. Anyone (including him) who doesn't understand the difference, shouldn't be an analyst.

• Love
Reactions: StealthP3D
Could somebody post a link to the Corona Virus thread please?

Looking to see if anyone knows anything about another company - Moderna - claiming to work on a Corona virus vaccine and other amazing medical miracles... PM me or something?

Thanks a bunch.
Oh, come on... just look a few lines further down on the index page! But in the spirit of being helpful:
Coronavirus

... with the 150+ decibels that a hovering 5,000 lb rocket would make, they'll be done LISTENING for about 3 days (then have ringing ears for about a year).

Did I mention that the FAA frowns on flying experimental/prototype rockets near people?

Faq.

Are the cold air thrusters that loud? If so then any suggestion that they will be used on a street car sounds crazy.

Which is why I feel the new cells will be in the first tri-motor CT, long before the mentioned "serious high-volume production" begins in 2022.
I'm at the 5k point in the reservation list for the tri-motor so unless they decide to deliver to local buyers first I'll be sure to let you all know what's it's like. ;)

Reactions: Drumheller
This truly made my day.
D1578369-EECE-4931-A8D4-A65F27B20FB3.jpeg

Before replying to the content, I just wanted to say I enjoy your comments but disagree with some of the ones in this post.

I agree that the desired chemistry is settled by Jeff + Elon, and have watched the videos on lab testing. But as you say conventional longevity testing of cells still needs to be performed. I'd expect those coming off the mass production line (as opposed to the lab/pilot production line) will incur this process to ensure they meet desired specs before actually producing at full tilt and getting the final signoff to put them into vehicles. Then there is still the gigantic task of expanding the supply lines and replicating manufacturing lines many times over all over the world. That's a difficult thing to do.

I'm sure you saw from the @gabeincal videos just how recently the Kato road facility has been completed. Here's a pic from 3 weeks ago. You can't tell me this is a production line that has been up and running for some time. They are most definitely in pilot phase.
View attachment 590911

Poor old "just" is doing some hard work here. Elon stated in his tweets just yesterday how challenging the task is (10x-100x) to mass produce something compared to the prototype. Surely thinking a little slippage in the timeline is not unreasonable given the circumstances.

I'm not betting against Elon, I've said multiple times that I'm leveraged into Tesla as I have that much confidence in him and the long term prospects of Tesla. However if you mean to ask has there been times where Elon has missed his stated timelines then I would have to give an emphatic yes. Luckily, I am leveraged via CFDs which have no time constraint, but many Tesla investors felt some pain from the slower than stated ramp of M3 including Rob Maurer and Karen Rai in Q1 19 (to name a couple of the most prominent).

I want Tesla to meet their targets, even beat them. But when scaling their Everest it is likely that it takes a little longer than expected to reach the top. I fear there is a casualness from many with which the difficulty of what is trying to be achieved can be reached - even the suggestion of a little slippage has responded in 1k word replies.

Don't bet against Elon, but don't Bank on his timelines.

If you like, we can agree to reference this on Jan 1 2023 and one of us can say "I told you so":). tweets included for reference.
View attachment 590914
I don't think Elon mentioned how difficult it is to ramp production in order to excuse an expected slip into 2023. He mentioned it to set expectations that it is going to take until 2022 to significantly ramp up battery production even though there's already a test line currently up and running. There won't be a huge number of RR batteries available in 2021 so we'll see some semis rolling off the line but there won't be mass production at first. Also, the Cybertruck and especially the Roadster will have to wait until production massively increases. Maybe there will be enough to get some Cybertruck out the door late in 2021 but we won't see the Roadster until 2022.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: StealthP3D
Wouldn't be battery day with our fav GJ making his dumb comments;

Enjoy! "5 people have died according to tesladeaths.com relying on tesla's battery technology"...Did not know that batteries killed people....Guess you learn something new every day.

Dude even compared $NKLA to $TSLA....god..this guy is soooooooooo STUPID!

LOL, so according to GJ 5 people died from tesla's battery technology, but Tesla is not even making their batteries, they buy them from 3rd party off the shelf. so a non-existent technology killing people, how many death will be claimed once they make their battery cells ? Oh, boy Covid-19 will not hold a candle to the Tesla battery in deadliness....

Last edited:
I don't think Elon mentioned how difficult it is to ramp production in order to excuse an expected slip into 2023. He mentioned it to set expectations that it is going to take until 2022 to significantly ramp up battery production even though there's already a test line currently running. There won't be a huge number of RR batteries available in 2021 so there will be some semis rolling off the line but there won't be mass production at first. Also, the cybertruck and especially the roadster will have to wait until production massively increases.

Or to set the stage for saying "look, we didn't just prototype an amazing battery, we engineered a way to mass produce it. Now we just have to scale that"

My depth of knowledge on the subject isn't great, but its my understanding that one of the reasons that solid state batteries haven't come to fruition despite having some impressive lab results is that making them outside of a lab at reasonable cost is currently unachievable.

So while the tweet may be interpreted to mean "we have a battery but we have a lot of work ahead of us" it could also mean "we dont just have a prototype of an awesome battery, we have a manufacturing method for an awesome battery, and thats 1000% harder than just prototyping"