Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lucid air is *not competition* until its actually viable. Dont get me wrong, it looks lovely, and they are 100x more viable than Nikola... but until I know 1,000 lucid airs are out there on the roads, as an investor I wont give a damn. Too many much heralded tesla killers have come and gone, and flopped or been delayed, or underwhelmed. Its not worth worrying about.
Im more concerned about the taycan and etron and ipace than the air, because these are all cars people can buy (and ive even seen one of each on the roads). Everything else is just a concept.

It's not really competition when a few are on the road either in the sense that scaling manufacturing is hard, making a prototype is easy.
Losing 1,000 sales is not cutting into Tesla's market. Losing 100,000 today might hurt but IF lucid/other automakers scaled as fast as Tesla (unlikely) how many years did Tesla take, 8 or so to scale up to 100,000? With many close calls along the way.

In ~8 years Tesla will be making 9 million vehicles, losing 100,000 sales then is equally trivial as losing 1,000 is today. The day Tesla has tens of thousands of cars sitting on car lots not selling is the day we should be worried about competition eating into sales, until then I think the proper perspective is Lucid may take a few more thousand ICE off the roads which is excellent.

It's the same concept that makes the idea of OEM's catching up on technology that analysts clearly cannot grasp. If you're behind - you have to grow/innovate FASTER than the leader. You can't catch 50% YoY growth without going for 60%+ YoY growth, and given the lead even that would take decades and ramping that fast is ultra risky.

Why wouldn't you want this genius managing your money?

https://assets.empirefinancialresearch.com/uploads/2020/09/Stanphyl-Capital-Letter-8-20.pdf

"Stanphyl Capital Management LLC Stanphyl Capital GP, LLC Stanphyl Capital Partners LP 1 August 31, 2020 Friends and Fellow Investors: For August 2020 the fund was down 15.4% net of all fees and expenses. By way of comparison, the S&P 500 was up 7.2% while the Russell 2000 was up 5.6%. Year-to-date 2020 the fund is down 20.9% while the S&P 500 is up 9.7% and the Russell 2000 is down 5.5%. Since inception on June 1, 2011 the fund is up 21.7% net while the S&P 500 is up 215.5% and the Russell 2000 is up 109.5%. Since inception the fund has compounded at 2.2% net annually vs 13.2% for the S&P 500 and 8.3% for the Russell 2000. (The S&P and Russell performances are based on their “Total Returns” indices which include reinvested dividends. The fund’s performance results are approximate; investors will receive exact figures from the outside administrator within a week or two. Please note that individual partners’ returns will vary in accordance with their high-water marks.)"

tenor.gif

note the 10 year T-bill was at ~3% in 2011.

United States Government Bond 10Y | 1912-2020 Data | 2021-2022 Forecast | Quote
He is not a true TSLAQ, true Qs already lost all and then some.

The fact he is still up since inception shows he is just a mouthpiece used(and abandoned) by CNBS.
His investments were not where he says.

With that, slightly lower return than bonds probably places him among average fund managers, not too bad.

/s
(But he is a bad person, that’s no doubt)

Unless Tesla has told how many shares they sold for that $5 billion a couple of weeks ago we don't know what SP makes $400 billion in market cap.

True. But the current market cap displayed by numerous web sites still fluctuate around a round number. And round numbers seem to have weird gravity effects on share prices.

• Helpful
Reactions: AZRI11
True. But the current market cap displayed by numerous web sites still fluctuate around a round number. And round numbers seem to have weird gravity effects on share prices.
Well then, maybe you should refer to it as the Yahoo Finance putative Tesla market cap or something like that. Taking them at their word is kind of like using Business Insider to tell you what Elon tweeted. You know, twisted BS without context.

Actually, they are a problem because the EU standard is different than the NA standard. There is no CCS adapter for North America.
There is not now. It is not a 'problem' to do, but it does require some redesign. The entire subject here is that there is not a NA CCS adapter right now. The questions is when there will be one, not whether.

BINGO!!!

This is exactly why I aim for as much self-sufficiency as possible. I would rather go back to the stone age than pay San Diego Gas & Extortion any more money than is absolutely necessary (i.e. a grid connection charge, and that's it).

This level of corruption is amplified because we have allowed utilities to become regional monopolies.

And as greedy power companies continue to overplay their hand by raising the "connection to the grid" minimum monthly fee, more and more people will buy energy storage solutions to avoid. The corruption and abuse is so tangible that people are justifying much longer ROIs just to get away from the sleezy greedy power companies.

The problem is that you are mixing two very different things in your starting number and ending number..

Here is what you’re doing:
2022 Production——2030 Production——Growth rate
-————————- ———————-———————-
Tesla + Suppliers— Tesla alone——————40%

Instead, either of the below is valid
2022 Production——2030 Production—-Growth rate
-————————————————-——————
Tesla alone—————Tesla alone—————56%
Tesla + Suppliers——-Tesla + Suppliers——??
Actually I'm assuming that supplier contribution in 2030 is a trivial fraction of total supply, about 3TWh. I'm more concerned about the rate at which Tesla growth consumption of cells than it's own production of cells. That is why I'm combining both internal and external supply.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies and kbM3
He is not a true TSLAQ, true Qs already lost all and then some.

The fact he is still up since inception shows he is just a mouthpiece used(and abandoned) by CNBS.
His investments were not where he says.

With that, slightly lower return than bonds probably places him among average fund managers, not too bad.

/s
(But he is a bad person, that’s no doubt)

You can probably pick any member on this forum and they'd have more AUM than Stanphyl

The lucid air is *not competition* until its actually viable. Dont get me wrong, it looks lovely, and they are 100x more viable than Nikola... but until I know 1,000 lucid airs are out there on the roads, as an investor I wont give a damn. Too many much heralded tesla killers have come and gone, and flopped or been delayed, or underwhelmed. Its not worth worrying about.
Im more concerned about the taycan and etron and ipace than the air, because these are all cars people can buy (and ive even seen one of each on the roads). Everything else is just a concept.

+1 I could not care less about new small automotive-startups. I think people underestimate the difficulty of creating a viable car-company and what Tesla has done.

If they are any good they will probably be bought by the existing large auto companies, as a last chance to save them. Wouldn't give that much of a chance either though...

That's really interesting. If they are testing those assemblies will be hauled away for scrap. If they are going into production the line may need to shut down for awhile to retool.

Getting production yields now probably means that the test phase results were ideal.

It possible that these casting will be initially for seven seat Y only. That would allow 5 seat to possibly continue while they figure out the new casting implementation at low volume. Interesting and seems like ever path is good news for SP.

What we know for sure is:-
  1. Fremont Model Y was being made with a 2 piece rear casting - It is fairly likely a single piece and 2-peice rear casting are fairly interchangeable. In fact Model Y currently being made with a mix of both would not surprise me.
  2. Berlin is making Model Y with front and rear castings and a 4680 structural pack. We know a 4680 structural pack needs front and rear castings. We don't know if deploying front castings without a structural pack is a worthwhile change.
  3. Berlin has a plan for 8 casting machines - we can speculate on 2 or 4 castings per car as the mostly likely number.
  4. We know Shanghai is planning to export Model 3 to Asia Pacific and probably Europe. Reasonable speculation - Fremont is making more Model Y and fewer Model 3.
So overall I think new casting machines relate to more Model Y production at Fremont, castings are useful inventory parts which can be stockpiled, completed casts are much more valuable than the raw material and they appear to stack well.

Further speculation - Tesla is probably in negotiations with LG and CATL to produce 4680 cells for Chinese Model Y production, most probably the iron and manganese variants rather than high nickel. We know Chinese production of Model Y with the structural pack is happening after Berlin, A delay on sourcing 4680 cells could be the reason.