Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Artful Dodger I love the way BB midpoint is laser-focused on 420 this morning! I get a kick out of the way TSLA follows the "macros" like a sheep due to AI algos that read press releases IMHO. Like when DPOTUS (D=drugged lol) announces he won't negotiate to help people until after 11/3. Yes, that's bad for struggling folks, but unfortunately, as Elon said they cannot afford to buy a Tesla (yet) so he and team are working to fix that. In other words, that "macro" event did not affect Tesla sales in the next 12-14 months one iota because the people burned cannot afford the product anyway.

OT Alert:

On a personal note, my Taiwanese-American wife and I have had enough of California (AQI in Bay Area red again today), not to mention our 7-month self-imposed COVID-19/20/21/22(?) house confinement due to age and some health risks.

We are preparing our "Escape to Taiwan". Their 24M population has only had 7(!) COVID-19 fatalities from day 1. In Sept. they had ~25 infections. It is the ONLY country in the world without a travel advisory due to COVID-19!! The only downside is China's Xi is saber rattling because Taiwan's current leader is rumbling about a desire to proclaim independence or something like that? The USD is still strong - go figure? 首頁 - Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in San Francisco 駐舊金山台北經濟文化辦事處

You can actually *live* there safely, eat in restaurants, etc. My wife has dual citizenship reads/writes/speaks Mandarin fluently, but the Taiwanese all had to learn English in school. We just need a negative COVID-19 test within 3 days of boarding EVA AIR. I'm cashing in 225K AMEX points for 3 free outbound "Royal Laurel" (business they have no first) class seats, transferring them into Air Canada's new Aeroplan program to book an SFO->TPE Star Alliance flight that is "operated by EVA AIR". We all have P100 masks to wear during the flight. I'll have to self-quarantine 14 days upon arrival at home since I'm a non-citizen and non-student. Visitors like me can stay for 6 months at a time. We plan to stay in a modern AirBnB downtown near one of my wife's 5 older sisters. (I married the youngest one ha ha).

We're not returning until either:
  1. UZLA (University of Zoom Los Angeles:rolleyes:) becomes UCLA again and our son has to take "live" MSCS classes.
  2. USA Covid-19 crisis is over and the country is stable.
We're lucky that we can operate our business electronically, or not and live off of our dividends, etc. As soon as we finish tying up some loose ends we're getting the hell out of this country for awhile.

If any of you decide to do the same, DM me for my email address and I shall answer questions/provide advice/my experience after we get there. I've learned quite a bit from some of you when I used to actively post in Model X then Model 3 forums and just lurk on here. I'm grateful for that so I'd like to pay it forward. :)

Last edited:
@Artful Dodger
On a personal note, my Taiwanese-American wife and I have had enough of California (AQI in Bay Area red again today), not to mention our 7-month self-imposed COVID-19/20/21/22(?) house confinement due to age and some health risks.

We are preparing our "Escape to Taiwan". Their 24M population has only had 7(!) COVID-19 fatalities from day 1. In Sept. they had ~25 infections. It is the ONLY country in the world without an Travel travel advisory due to COVID-19!! The only downside is China's Xi is saber rattling because Taiwan's current leader is rumbling about a desire to proclaim independence or something like that? The USD is still strong - go figure?

You can actually *live* there safely, eat in restaurants, etc. My wife has dual citizenship reads/writes/speaks Mandarin fluently, but the Taiwanese all had to learn English in school. We just need a negative COVID-19 test within 3 days of boarding EVA AIR. I'm cashing in 225K AMEX points for 3 free outbound "Royal Laurel" (business they have no first) class seats, transferring them into Air Canada's new Aeroplan program to book an SFO->TPE Star Alliance flight that is "operated by EVA AIR". We all have P100 masks to wear during the flight. I'll have to self-quarantine 15 days upon arrival since I'm a non-citizen and non-student. Visitors like me can stay for 6 months at a time. We plan to stay in a modern AirBnB downtown near one of my wife's 5 older sisters. (I married the youngest one ha ha).

1. UZLA (University of Zoom Los Angeles:rolleyes:) becomes UCLA again and our son has to take "live" MSCS classes.
We're lucky that we can operate our business electronically, or not and live off of our dividends, etc. As soon as we finish tying up some loose ends we're getting the hell out of this country for awhile.

If any of you decide to do the same, DM me for my email address and I shall answer questions/provide advice/my experience after we get there. I've learned quite a bit from some of you when I used to actively post in Model X then Model 3 forums and lurk here. I'm grateful for that so I'd like to pay it forward. :)

And for others wondering the same thing, South Korea is also largely a COVID free zone. Everything's open there. MANDATORY government imposed 14 day quarantine, so not easy for a quick visit, but nice place to work from right now.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
NOTE: THIS IS NOT NUMEROLOGY.

I wonder why we're so intensely pinned to $420 (which was max pain earlier and might still be) this week? Usually, max pain primarily comes into play around options expiration on Friday...but this week we've been constantly dragged back to it throughout the week?!?

As someone who's been watching this stock's behavior almost daily for years, this seems really odd to me.

I got both my children to buy stock just before the split. They bought more yesterday. Next, I will get them both to buy a model Y. Maybe I will offer to pay the down payment! That should work!
I will gladly accept your offer to pay the down payment! How about you wire $10k over the down payment and ill cut you a check for the $10k after it clears? :p

• Funny
Reactions: engle
Given all the uncertainty, disarray and chaos of the present time, I doubt there will be any significant volume or price movement until Q3 earnings are reported.Even then I don't expect anything major until the US election results have been determined. If accepted the price will rise, if contested I expect huge drops, if violence spreads rapidly all bets are off worldwide.

No analysis alters the reality that US political disarray dominates anything else. I plan zero trades of any kind until the US election is over.

we're in environment right now that can produce any number or combination of negative effects. one can argue that's always the case.

bottom line i tend to stick to:
lever up when tsla down -- lever down when tsla up
- im mostly stock at this point, the few LEAPs left i hold are DITM, they move 1:1 with stock anyway, and will probably exercise the.
- some chips on side to play scenario if/when it presents itself

some others here have mentioned they act similarly;
- still plenty of upside should another bull run occur
- remain able to weather a storm without having to worry about term derivatives

@Artful Dodger I love the way BB midpoint is laser-focused on 420 this morning! I get a kick out of the way TSLA follows the "macros" like a sheep due to AI algos that read press releases IMHO. Like when DPOTUS (D=drugged lol) announces he won't negotiate to help people until after 11/3. Yes, that's bad for struggling folks, but unfortunately, as Elon said they cannot afford to buy a Tesla (yet) so he and team are working to fix that. In other words, that "macro" event did not affect Tesla sales in the next 12-14 months one iota because the people burned cannot afford the product anyway.

OT Alert:

We are preparing our "Escape to Taiwan". Their 24M population has only had 7(!) COVID-19 fatalities from day 1. In Sept. they had ~25 infections. It is the ONLY country in the world without a travel advisory due to COVID-19!! The only downside is China's Xi is saber rattling because Taiwan's current leader is rumbling about a desire to proclaim independence or something like that? The USD is still strong - go figure?

You can actually *live* there safely, eat in restaurants, etc. My wife has dual citizenship reads/writes/speaks Mandarin fluently, but the Taiwanese all had to learn English in school. We just need a negative COVID-19 test within 3 days of boarding EVA AIR. I'm cashing in 225K AMEX points for 3 free outbound "Royal Laurel" (business they have no first) class seats, transferring them into Air Canada's new Aeroplan program to book an SFO->TPE Star Alliance flight that is "operated by EVA AIR". We all have P100 masks to wear during the flight. I'll have to self-quarantine 15 days upon arrival since I'm a non-citizen and non-student. Visitors like me can stay for 6 months at a time. We plan to stay in a modern AirBnB downtown near one of my wife's 5 older sisters. (I married the youngest one ha ha).

If any of you decide to do the same, DM me for my email address and I shall answer questions/provide advice/my experience after we get there. I've learned quite a bit from some of you when I used to actively post in Model X then Model 3 forums and lurk here. I'm grateful for that so I'd like to pay it forward. :)

So pretty much, you'll never be coming back to the US again o_O

OT Alert:

We are preparing our "Escape to Taiwan". Their 24M population has only had 7(!) COVID-19 fatalities from day 1. In Sept. they had ~25 infections. It is the ONLY country in the world without a travel advisory due to COVID-19!! The only downside is China's Xi is saber rattling because Taiwan's current leader is rumbling about a desire to proclaim independence or something like that? The USD is still strong - go figure?

Are the other sisters happily married.

Given all the uncertainty, disarray and chaos of the present time, I doubt there will be any significant volume or price movement until Q3 earnings are reported.Even then I don't expect anything major until the US election results have been determined. If accepted the price will rise, if contested I expect huge drops, if violence spreads rapidly all bets are off worldwide.

No analysis alters the reality that US political disarray dominates anything else. I plan zero trades of any kind until the US election is over.

I agree.

2 x Oct 23 ‘20 $450 calls sold for an instant premium of ~$3k.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT NUMEROLOGY.

I wonder why we're so intensely pinned to $420 (which was max pain earlier and might still be) this week? Usually, max pain primarily comes into play around options expiration on Friday...but this week we've been constantly dragged back to it throughout the week?!?

As someone who's been watching this stock's behavior almost daily for years, this seems really odd to me.
BDC31F02-BCFA-49AE-B204-731129ECB6A8.jpeg

So... no driver's will be fired? :p

How about elevator operators? How about Teachers? How about Accountants, Lawyers, and Surgeons?

In the future, there will be only one career: Engineer. :D

Cheers!
I've given thought and researched the future of human work. And engineers will not be amongst the last professions for humans. The last professions will be given the protection of the LAW, and they will be determined on the basis of human to human interaction. And they will be protect just so humans can feel as though they have some worth and a life goal. The otherside of the interaction will be inclined to have a human desire for interaction as well. People will want to go against another human in a protagonist/antagonist interaction. And Governments will save jobs not for financial considerations, but for the human aspects, even if there really isn't any advantage outside of being able to proclaim "Humans are still valuable."
Teachers, sex workers, salesmen, psychiatrists are a few of the examples I can give you... "Human" Engineers won't be wanted any longer. Humans are incapable of perfection, and consistently are inaccurate or just plain wrong... in a field where error causes huge loss of life.
And if you want a robot psychiatrist the service will be available. And human Psychiatrists will have an overlord machine/computer making sure they aren't too far off track.
Think of games like chess and go. No one wants to play a machine. The machine will win...unless it is designed with human errors. The last human workers will not be engineers. Even now most "engineering" is done by machines. The gradual elimination of engineers is almost complete.

Someone mentioned that there would be civil war if east coast got better tech in their Teslas. Seems like we are looking at WW3, Europe versus the rest of the world. Glad I'm on the right side...
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1313854912212750346
Berlin will use 4680 cell with structural battery pack & front & rear single piece castings. Also, a new paint system. Lot of new technology will happen in Berlin, which means significant production risk. Fremont & Shanghai will transition in ~2 years when new tech is proven.

Note that GF4 will be producing MY at first, so that kinda gives the game away...
Elon is so freaken confusing. First he says these cells going into plaid, cybertrucks, semi and roadster. Then he says high nickel 4680 only basically cementing the fact that it's not coming to the 3 and Y because he literally have a slide that tells us this
Now he is saying it's going to the Y first in berlin? Da F is going on?

If Y is getting 4680 in Berlin then they have no plan on importing Fremont Ys with inferior cells to prevent osbourne.

But then wouldn't Y in the US get it as well? Seems like they have indeed figured out how to mass produce or else there's no way they are putting in a beta cell line in Berlin.

Reactions: Paul_SF
Someone mentioned that there would be civil war if east coast got better tech in their Teslas. Seems like we are looking at WW3, Europe versus the rest of the world. Glad I'm on the right side...
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1313854912212750346
Berlin will use 4680 cell with structural battery pack & front & rear single piece castings. Also, a new paint system. Lot of new technology will happen in Berlin, which means significant production risk. Fremont & Shanghai will transition in ~2 years when new tech is proven.

Well, Europe won't be seeing advanced FSD features for a while so I guess this is some solace. The regulatory body UNECE keeps on crippling it.

Last edited:
Elon is so freaken confusing. First he says these cells going into plaid, cybertrucks, semi and roadster. Then he says high nickel 4680 only basically cementing the fact that it's not coming to the 3 and Y because he literally have a slide that tells us this
Now he is saying it's going to the Y first in berlin? Da F is going on?

If Y is getting 4680 in Berlin then they have no plan on importing Fremont Ys with inferior cells to prevent osbourne.

But then wouldn't Y in the US get it as well? Seems like they have indeed figured out how to mass produce or else there's no way they are putting in a beta cell line in Berlin.

Just sounds like he was sandbagging the timelines of the new cells to me. While he says Berlin Model Y will get new cells, he didn't say they are getting the high nickel cell. Remember there are essentially 3 versions of the new cell.

This still pretty much lines up with Semi and S/X high nickel cells coming from Kato first, medium nickel cells coming from Giga Berlin next since it will be the next new factory completed.......then Giga Texas will get the new cell's when it's completed and then they'll focus on retrofitting Fremont/Giga China/Giga 1

They're likely doing this to not interrupt production. If they start retrofitting Giga China/Giga 1/ and/or Fremont first with new cell production, it will definitely result in downtime in production