Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy US Thanksgiving to all the posters in here. Appreciate all the knowledge passed along in this thread. I read it daily but have never posted. So Thanks.

I'm just HODL in several accts. Eyeing a $721 SP to make us Teslanaires.

Is a Teslanaire someone that owns $1million+ in TSLA or someone that has $1million+ in TSLA gains? I am not close to either as I just got in after Battery Day, but hopefully someday I will be.

Let's keep it rational people!

Nov 30th is two half trading days away and S&P could conceivably do anything regarding the inclusion plan for December. I think there's a 99.8% chance they keep it to one of the two aforementioned options, but you never know. This game is rigged after all and there are no real rules.

I bring this up not to plan for the possibility of that .2% becoming reality, but to think about what the front-runners and day traders might do to plan for it. If I'm some unimaginative asshole day trader, with zero allegiance to any stock or any understanding of their underlying value, what's my chart-based move on Friday? Well I sell obviously!

Smart traders who got in to front-run when the inclusion plan was announced are up what.....~$150 right now? I think a fair share of them won't want to risk their entire pile of gains on a bizarre S&P decision Monday, no matter how unlikely. The downside of selling is you lose maybe 2-6% of additional gains after a ho-hum decision, but you protect and lock in the 40% you're already sitting on.

This could cross more than a few minds over the next two days and we could see a sharp selloff Friday/Monday with a massive rebound Tuesday. Highly highly unlikely, but just trying to envision a rational worst case scenario that makes sense through all the champagne bubbles. I would be very careful playing with call options for this week. And maybe have some dry powder ready.

I've made a lot of money using options over the years.

This man did not fare as well:
shutterstock_1155406366.jpg

I'm not saying never use options but it's not as secure of a method to build wealth as investing in high growth companies and holding them long-term. With options you had better know what you are doing or you're probably gonna lose bigtime.

The thing about these stories...we don't see much of the other side. You know the dude who turned 1 million into 0...or maybe negative numbers.

That happens too.

Survivorship bias is a real thing. We tend to think that since someone did something great once, they have a better chance of doing it again. You see someone making 47 million from 1 million, but you didn't see the others who maybe made similar bets just before Elon smoked a blunt on a podcast.

Someone did great in the stock market once and then are lauded, but subsequent moves don't work out as well (ahem Jim Chanos). Most mutual funds can't even outperform index tracking funds over a long time frame.

What worries me for Tesla investors who have good or great success with the stock get overconfident. Are you going to be able to apply the same strategies again with another stock? Right now I would think over decades I would get more conservative with at least some investments because right now I have to think I was more lucky than good.

That's why I respect folks who show repeated success. Elon Musk's repeated success shows he's the real deal vs. really anyone who has founded only one successful company - easy to be lucky.

@StealthP3D seemingly has had multiple repeated successes with long-term investments with at last a handful of stocks.

Do you know anyone who has had sustained success over decades with options?

Fidelity won't give up. After failing to get me to talk to one of their advisors about my Portfolio (which is 100% TSLA), they called my wife about diversifying and getting help to manage it (as if any of their advisor's returns can get to even 1/10th of mine). She told them we aren't interested.... My wife was shocked that she got a call. I explained to her that they need us to sell our shares so they can buy them at a lower price! Go find another sucker Fidelity!!! :p

Last edited:
Fidelity won't give up. After failing to get me to talk to one of their advisors about my Portfolio (which is 100% TSLA), they called my wife about diversifying and getting help to manage it (as if any of their advisor's returns can get to even 1/10th of mine). She told them we aren't interested.... My wife was shocked that she got a call. I explained to her that they need us to sell our shares so they can buy them at a lower price! Go find another sucker Fidelity!!! :p

I am disappointed. I have never gotten a call from Ameritrade or Ally trying to "manage" my money. :(

Now I'm feeling pretty good about enthusiastically encouraging my girlfriend to buy 45 shares of Tesla (I have a little less than that). :D I cannot believe how much FUD I get from friends who JUST DON'T GET IT no matter how many times I explain things. Their loss.

Am I crazy for wanting to sell my lightly-used P3D- to buy more TSLA? I barely drive it during the pandemic. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

I'm willing to bet there have been some in the shadows making 1M per day, now that is a TESLANAIRE! ( Reg FD, I'm still waiting on that for myself)
Those who may have recorded such single day gains (NOT making, just showing such a gain) undoubtedly know the difference between taking a profit and showing a gain. Unless it is realized it’s not ‘making’ anything.

It’s fun to watch the big rise, nit so much the drop. The present situation is euphoric. There is high likelihood that after several ATH there will come a correction.

Sure, we have cause to attribute to S&P and lots of good news.

FWIW, I’m not taking any gains. I ride out the volatility. This one might last a while, but it’s still euphoria, so corrections will come....sometime.

Those who may have recorded such single day gains (NOT making, just showing such a gain) undoubtedly know the difference between taking a profit and showing a gain. Unless it is realized it’s not ‘making’ anything.

It’s fun to watch the big rise, nit so much the drop. The present situation is euphoric. There is high likelihood that after several ATH there will come a correction.

Sure, we have cause to attribute to S&P and lots of good news.

FWIW, I’m not taking any gains. I ride out the volatility. This one might last a while, but it’s still euphoria, so corrections will come....sometime.

We were in a correction and subsequent consolidation period for a healthy 2 and a half months. This thing has a long ways to run before another correction will occur

Last edited:
Here is to some hopium that we get some short term buying opportunities.
Tesla files recall for 9,136 2015-2016 Model X over adhesive issue: NHTSA . I hope the media picks this up

Glad to see that despite Market Watch’ desperate try to make a big thing about this Model X recall (and including Model Y in the story for the more dramatic headline: “Tesla is recalling more than 9000 Model Y and Model X vehicles”) the stock is not bulging.

Btw, I experienced this issue of bad adhesive on my own Model X in July. The top glass blew off while driving on the freeway. I happily paid over $700 to have it repaired by Tesla Services, thereby contributing to them booking a record $581M in Q3 services revenue :D