Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The discussion was deeper 5 years ago because there were legitimate questions then about whether TSLA was a good long term investment. Plus it makes sense that the smartest people were in TSLA the earliest.
To deepen that clarification, five years ago - and beginning long earlier than that - I actively hindered all discussion about derivative trading in this thread, and most short-term activity, shunting such posts off to threads devoted strictly to those two topics.

Until about 2017, @Mike Smith's words are correct: This thread was focused on assessing how best to understand Tesla-the-company, on its leader, on its entry into and its irreversible changing of the automotive and energy industries.

That work, while not now nor ever to be completed, is more firmly cast and thus there is of natural course more discussion of short-term activity. And very, very, very shortly one of the pillars upon which my 2013 investment into this company was established - its entry into the most influential market index of them all - will occur.

It has been a long, long, fruitful yet fraught, frustrating yet fascinating, compelling yet confounding, seven years. And - believe you should - a most enjoyable task for me to lead this discussion over the many hundreds of thousands of posts and multiple millions of views.

Even Gene Munster is looking forward to this...

https://twitter.com/munster_gene/status/1339939063617482753?s=20

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 2.10.28 PM.png

Yes...i intend to do so in the future to hold on to my $TSLA chairs...its called a SBLOC (Securities Backed Line of Credit)

Ok, now that we all have our strategies in place for market close today, what's our plan for another possible spike on Monday morning? :D

Cough...cough... already feeling sick again on Monday, may have to take another day off ;)

Thanks for reminding me of a fabulous band and album. I had the luck to see ELP in the 90's on the Paper Moon tour - well past their prime, bit still a force to be reckoned with.

Then in 2016, I was once again a press-photographer at Night of the Prog. What a festival that was! Carl Palmer ELP Legacy was one of the attractions and boy, some show that was. Total uproar from the crowd, grown men with beards, weeping. Amazing stuff :)

God bless Keith and Greg...

upload_2020-12-18_20-15-52.png

Dear Bloomberg - please write an article about how ridiculous your New Energy Finance forecasts are due to the fact that you can't publish exponential forecasts without being ridiculed.

We know what is going to happen - and I suspect you do to. You just don't have the courage to publicly state the true speed this renewable energy transition will take.

These people all seem to agree that electric cars will become cheaper than ICE cars around 2025, but they also project that around half of people will still be buying ICE cars in 2035.

No OEM will even be making ICE cars past 2030.

Curious why you went with MOC instead of LOC?

Folks should make sure they understand the mechanics of market-on-close and limit-on-close orders if submitting them for the first time. The former will execute as close to the closing price as possible - whether or not that's a level at which you would like to sell. Also, they can't be canceled after a certain point...I think 3:58 PM ET.

Can someone explain the benefits of using LOC today versus just a “limit + EXT” when attempting to catch a spike?

A limit sell order often closes above the limit price. The potential benefit of a Limit On Close order over a regular Limit order is that many/most expect there to be a closing imbalance to the Buy Side today. If so, a LOC order would close at a higher price than a regular Limit Sell order placed right before the market closed (assuming at least the Limit price was reached for both Limit orders).

I'm trying to figure this out too. In terms of potentially "catching a spike", I placed a limit sell order as a "DAY + EXT", which can execute through e*trade any time between 7AM-8PM EST. I chose this over a LOC order because I would take this price before, after or during the closing cross.

I could be completely wrong, of course... Maybe there's a spike above my price that ONLY occurs during the cross, but I am hopping I'd still be eligible for the cross based on this from the NASDAQ FAQ.

Does anybody know this to be incorrect, or have a different perspective?

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 2.27.49 PM.png

These people all seem to agree that electric cars will become cheaper than ICE cars around 2025, but they also project that around half of people will still be buying ICE cars in 2035.

No OEM will even be making ICE cars past 2030.

Yes. How do they square that circle? Unless they think people place an unreasonably high value on gas' perceived edge for road trips?

Folks should make sure they understand the mechanics of market-on-close and limit-on-close orders if submitting them for the first time. The former will execute as close to the closing price as possible - whether or not that's a level at which you would like to sell. Also, they can't be canceled after a certain point...I think 3:58 PM ET.

IOW, a MOC order will execute as closely as possible to the closing price whereas a LOC order will execute only if the closing price is above the set limit, correct?

Reactions: SOULPEDL
I'm trying to figure this out too. In terms of potentially "catching a spike", I placed a limit sell order as a "DAY + EXT", which can execute through e*trade any time between 7AM-8PM EST. I chose this over a LOC order because I would take this price before, after or during the closing cross.

I could be completely wrong, of course... Maybe there's a spike above my price that ONLY occurs during the cross, but I am hopping I'd still be eligible for the cross based on this from the NASDAQ FAQ.

Does anybody know this to be incorrect, or have a different perspective?

View attachment 618927
I don't think a normal limit order gets to fill in the auction order flow.
Keep in mind MOC/LOC orders are intended for players that need to buy/sell large volume without incurring slippage.

It has much less value for traders with position sizes that could be market sold without moving the market.