Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ARK did sell a lot today, including some TSLA, and then went on a buying spree:

View attachment 625457

Even after that their TSLA holdings are still above 10%:
  • ARKW: 10.48%
  • ARKQ: 12.04%
  • ARKK: 10.54%
It's a shame they don't have a 10% allocation to Tesla in ARKG given they make bio reactors for curevac

/s

Just woke up, wondered why the price was up so much. Read 20 pages of unread posts here. Not a single one of them answered my question. Imo way to much OT recently...

So why did the price increase 9% today?
I don't know. Why did 3 other stocks in my portfolio go up by more than TSLA did? There seems to be a strong appetite in the market right now for growth stocks. It's not just TSLA.

After a day like this... many are surely thinking; "Sell this stock, and lock in gains; this is an insane rise that cannot be sustained!"

Posted earlier, but really worth seeing if you missed it;

"I don't understand why people are focused on selling things that work. I'll make up a number. Let's just say that I own a billion dollars worth of Tesla stock. If I sold it, now I have a billion dollar problem. What am I going to do with that money? What about if it was a hundred million. What if it was just ten thousand? What if it was ten billion? It doesn't matter what the number is. The point is, that when things are working, you're paid to stay with people that know what they're doing. And this is a guy who has consistently been one of the most important entrepreneurs in the world, and so why bet against him? You get behind these people who have incredibly strong character, who know what they're doing, who aren't going to bend to short term profits, and who are just going to drive the train for ten to twenty years, and who are going to make the world a better place. Get behind them, and don't sell a share."

This might explain the after hours price action. Someone might have known this was coming. Tomorrow should be very interesting.

Lots of folks knew the RWD/SR Y was coming from Bill Wrights posts (he works at GFN) last month.
See for example:

https://twitter.com/BillWri90307793/status/1339479224390799361

Where he originally kinda leaked it Dec 17

and then:

https://twitter.com/BillWri90307793/status/1344246733379751936

Bill replying to Troy with a "Yet" on the SR Y not being released

What's weird is Elon previously said (July I think) that they hadn't released one because range would be <250 miles which is unacceptably low and instead they'd do an LR with a single motor as the cheaper option.... and on the Q3 call Elon (responding to Rob Mauers question this) said going forward they'd consider 300 kind of the minimum acceptable EV range...

But now they're releasing a single-motor SR instead with...range <250 miles (not by much, and I think the offered range is just fine for most folks- but still odd in context of what he said earlier... )

Possibly they just weren't saving enough on doing an LR RWD to make it worth existing- or possibly they figure 244 IS acceptable after all since (as Rob noted when he asked the question on the Q3 call) by using less cells in an SR helps a company that is still gonna be battery limited going forward because overall demand is gonna remain so high going forward).

Last edited:
OMG! Tesla announces relief to HODLing investors desperate to get your hands on a Model X or Model S. You can now buy a Tesla by surrendering TSLA shares. No cash required!

/s
I mean...if it was treated like a share buyback, and didn't impact market pricing...I don't see why this wouldn't result in some sales.

The Model S and X are gigantic cars though, I like the size of my 3. I would consider switching to a Y but not until I've had this 3 a minimum of 4 years or 50,000 miles.

Arg, tried to place a sell for a block of Jan 15 400 calls at $410 and RBC direct investing can't seem to get the order through while I watched the bid move up to $411 and they should have sold. It's been stuck at pending for the last 20 mins. I've found them to be really bad sometimes, and now it looks like I've lost that sale. I've about had it with these guys. Thinking I should move everything to a better broker - what do people in Canada like to use?

These are the guys who never delivered my split shares for about 3 days, during which it appeared I had lost 4/5 of my account value.

Questrade. Portfolio margin, better fee structures, and significantly better web and desktop platform.

85A908ED-53B6-472F-B31B-38592915E708.jpeg

74th Birthday

My wife tested positive for the ‘rona this afternoon (she’s going to be ok), so I’ve engaged bioweapon defense mode and have scooted myself and my children off to the garage for the next 10 days.

Don’t worry about us—we have Netflix and a browser where we can watch TSLA all day.

(Note: My wife really does have COVID but the rest of this post is a lie. Except for the thing about Netflix and TSLA. And watching it all day.)

For me, the 244-mile range of the Y SR is a major turn off, but obviously the $8K (WOW!) price reduction will rattle the cage and stroke demand. Maybe the brain trust took a second look at upcoming "competition" and changed their minds to conclude this is a killer package.

Thursday's insane +8% topped off an 11-day green streak from $640 to $816. As someone posted a few mins ago, tomorrow should be interesting.

Reactions: FireMedic
It's a shame they don't have a 10% allocation to Tesla in ARKG given they make bio reactors for curevac

/s
Couldn’t one of you ask our friends over at ARK to trade tesla shares to arkg instead of selling them on the broader market? I love my arkg but it’s definitely lacking some TSLA exposure.
I get they need to stay below 10% in each fund. Wouldn’t this be a decent compromise?

This 244 mile model Y shows that Tesla is still predominantly battery constrained. They could easily have packed some more cells and increased range for a RWD Long Range

Or or... seeing how the likes of Ford and VW have stuttered across the line to pack the same amount of range - the brains at Tesla possibly think they can move more volume at this price and beat the competition while at it ( with far fewer cells - still helps with the battery constraint)

I mean who's going to pick a Ford Mach E for 43k/230mi of range v/s a Tesla Model Y at 42k/240mi.

edit - just verified prices.
Competition is coming? It is dead before arrival.
upload_2021-1-7_22-58-2.png

Last edited:
For me, the 244-mile range of the Y SR is a major turn off, but obviously the $8K (WOW!) price reduction will rattle the cage and stroke demand. Maybe the brain trust took a second look at upcoming "competition" and changed their minds to conclude this is a killer package.

I think we can assume Model Y production at Fremont is flowing smoothly, Tesla wants to unlock additional demand, and sell more vehicles for the same supply of cells.
So there are (IMO) 3 significant variables:-
1. Demand at a given price point.
2. Run-rate of the factory in terms of completed vehicle bodies, painting and GA.
3. The available supply of cells and the best way to deploy them.

I think they will want to improve the range over time... for now, this seems like the best decision.

4680 cells will probably solve both problems, 1. additional range and 2. cell supply, but maybe not for a year or so.

EDIT Q1 is seasonally weak and new products in Q1 can help with that.

1. China Model Y
2. Likely Fremont Model S/X refresh
3. Fremont SR Model Y.

Last edited:
Please go show this man some love. He is very thorough, thoughtful, and knowledgeable, his channel needs to grow so people get the real truth. He doesn’t have a lot of content yet but everything he has done is densely packed with original content.

edit: this is my favorite video of his so far. 2 months old. But VERY pertinent and under appreciated information.

Couldn’t one of you ask our friends over at ARK to trade tesla shares to arkg instead of selling them on the broader market? I love my arkg but it’s definitely lacking some TSLA exposure.
I get they need to stay below 10% in each fund. Wouldn’t this be a decent compromise?
One of the holding in ARKG did not have a good day today SRPT. Down 50% AH. Anyway it just 0.52 weight in the ETF. So not big deal