Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the advantage to exercising early?

1. It prevents me from using that money for something else, and then not having the capital available to exercise at expiration.
  2. It starts the long term capital gain clock early. (If in a taxable account.)
  3. It possibly screws with the person who sold the call. (Surprising them and causing taxable gains before they had a chance to roll the call. But that is probably more for close to the money calls.)
  4. It just gets it over with.

A dividend split, such as the last one Tesla did, forces the short sellers actually purchase shares. The last one took $5B from their pockets. Right now the short sellers have mostly bailed, so they won't get a lot of pain if a split were to happen today.

I can see how (especially naked) short selling would be kept in check by Tesla being able to do a similar 1:2 split on basically no notice - and that the Tesla BoD knows this.

As such I could imagine that before the next stock split, Tesla will clear the paperwork for _another_ stock split so they always have the ability to split on a short notice.

I HAVE GREAT NEWS. Actually I spent several hours ferreting this out... I can't divulge my source or analysis but...
For at least a month the Stock Market will be open FIVE days a week!
Do what TSLA shorts do: Sell low, buy high, rant on the internet, then do it again

Should be Sell High, Buy
Daimler's Mercedes-Benz tripled its electric car sales in 2020 — CNBC

Daimler's CEO, Ola Källenius, tells CNBC the firm is doubling down on electrification and digitization.

As attitudes and technologies change, both politicians and companies are looking to embrace low and zero emission forms of transportation.

This shows how quickly things are changing and why Tesla deserves its valuation.

Note that the majority of these were hybreds. Did not see breakout of pure EV.

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11 and avoigt
TSLA’s all-time consecutive “gain” streak was eleven. [Can] anyone can corroborate this?

In my 5-yr, 8-mth data set, the longest previous win streak for Closing SP ended on 04-17-20 (also 11 days).

There is a 2-way tie for 10-day win streaks: (end-dates follow)
  • 10-17-19
  • 01-06-21
Cheers!

Last edited:
I had to talk myself off the ledge from selling a chunk this morning at $845. The "best investors are dead" ran through my mind and I shut my laptop and went back to fixing electrical things (mostly light fixtures) at the hospital I work at. Now that my investments have reached this level I feel like I should lock in my gains and never worry about money again. This is so distracting. Can someone talk me off the ledge again?

I've found it useful to stem those impulses by looking into how to maximize those gains. Been studying Charitable Remainder Trusts for the past day as a way to distract myself and to benefit while avoiding losses to taxation.

Oh, and the Woodford Reserve I bought last night is helping as well.

Now back to setting up a laptop for a remote user ...

For anyone curious about the impact the SR Model Y will have on Mach-e and ID.4 sales, here's a small sample of comments from /r/electricvehicles (which tends to have a slight anti-Tesla sentiment):

Do they know about this?
Ford Mustang Mach-E: Dealers Reportedly Adding $15,000 Markup Over MSRP

"According to a post on the Mach-E forum, dealers are now marking up the price by between $5,000 and $15,000, even for those people who have already placed orders.
This means that a base Mach-E, whose starting price before incentives is $43,895, can end up costing the buyer nearly $60,000."

Today was the day.
I have sold all my shares (which I am sure is not much in relative terms on this forum!) a moment ago.
Don't get me wrong: I still think Tesla will go ahead and do incredible things in the long term. But I have reached, in fact obliterated, my goals when I bought my first shares a few years ago. I did a 10 bagger, actually a 15 bagger (and more with the options in the crazy run-up last January). I lived the transition from derided stock to king of the market. I have seen things people wouldn't believe (which TSLA longs knew for a fact :cool:). I have not seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, but we are getting closer.

I know I will regret this. So there is no need to tell me how stupid this is. But it's fine.
Very emotional moment.

The only thing that I really wanted to say in this post is a massive thank you to all participants on this forum (and big thanks also to some that left). The knowledge, info, tips, laugh, roar and wisdom I found here - especially in the dark ages of spring 2019 - have been massively important and formative.

Really, thank you all. Thanks to all people working at Tesla for making the impossible happens. Of course, thank you Elon.

Live long and TSLA.

I had to talk myself off the ledge from selling a chunk this morning at $845. The "best investors are dead" ran through my mind and I shut my laptop and went back to fixing electrical things (mostly light fixtures) at the hospital I work at. Now that my investments have reached this level I feel like I should lock in my gains and never worry about money again. This is so distracting. Can someone talk me off the ledge again?

Just uninstall your brokerage app on your phone :p

Okay but what would you do with that money? Holding cash is like holding an ice cube due to current monetary and fiscal policy.

Not yet a teslanaire but headed that way, up 6 figures since Monday. Woke up at 4am to pee, saw the premarket action and took a 12 mile walk while the family slept to try to calm down.
Congratulations to all the long term holders/believers, been a hell of a ride I can’t believe I never sold over the years. This message board is what gave me the conviction to hold thank you all!!!

Should be Sell High, Buy

Note that the majority of these were hybreds. Did not see breakout of pure EV.

They do not do a breakout for a purpose. In particular, the EQC is a big miss and it is the only BEV they have.

The vast majority of the "growth" the talks comes from Hybrids and the majority of owners according to several studies don't use the plug at all. In Germany, you get 2/3 of the incentives regardless if you ever charge the Hybrid you bought. Studies show that 82% of hybrid company car drivers don't use the battery ever. One reason is that with a company car you get a fuel card that allows you to fill the tank for free even if you use it for private purpose but owners need to pay out of their private wallet if they charge the battery.

Hybrids, therefore, pollute the environment given higher CO2 at manufacturing and higher weight because of drive train about the same as ICE maybe even more.

IOW, Källenius is greenwashing and the media is too stupid to understand it.

I can see how (especially naked) short selling would be kept in check by Tesla being able to do a similar 1:2 split on basically no notice - and that the Tesla BoD knows this.

As such I could imagine that before the next stock split, Tesla will clear the paperwork for _another_ stock split so they always have the ability to split on a short notice.
Always keep a bird in the silo...

Electrek - 1.5 hours ago: Tesla's $25,000 electric car could be coming sooner than we thought - Electrek

Excerpt:

According to the Tesla Gigafactory construction project document exposed on the Internet, Tesla’s new domestic models will be directly produced in the Shanghai Gigafactory. The positioning and selling price will be lower than its Model 3, and the price of the new car is expected to remain unchanged. Between RMB 160,000 and RMB 200,000, mass production and delivery may be as early as 2022.

Note that 160,000 Chinese yuan is exactly $24,755 USD, and 2022 is a little earlier than what was previously announced.
Hmm. Designed and built in China. Wonder if these will be exported to NA and EU markets.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan Detweiler