Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the years I've read many articles along the lines of "If you invested £10,000 in Microsoft in 1982 you'd now be a multi-millionaire". Or Apple in 2000 or Amazon in 2010 etc. etc. You got envious of the opportunities you missed, but the thing is, those gains only held true for investors who held throughout the entire period. They don't work for those investors who baled out because there had been a steep rise in the share price. And how many did actually hold throughout the entire period? Best to be one of the holders and not one of the balers.

Although I'd been a TMC member for years, I only stumbled upon this thread earlier in 2020 when TSLA started taking off. In 2017, I took my entire 401k from my first job (a modest sum) and invested it all in TSLA. Being in an IRA helped me remain pretty much a "dead investor," not checking the SP very often at all.

Once TSLA broke out of the $200s (pre-split) in its first epic run, I started paying more attention. For various personal reasons, I'll probably end up withdrawing from my IRA even with the extra early-withdrawal penalty, so when my modest investment started to look like real money, I started playing with the numbers and thinking about what that could mean if I were to sell.

Finding this forum saved me from the mistake of selling early. Specifically, @StealthP3D's words of wisdom stick out very early on, but of course aided by excellent posts from a number of experienced and knowledgeable posters. Recently, @Artful Dodger's post underscored better than I ever could the best reason to be invested in TSLA. The synopsis in my head is "It's the mission, stupid!"

It just so happens that investing in this mission can increase one's wealth beyond what I previously thought was possible. Yesterday my portfolio increased more than my initial investment, and soon I'll have enough to pay off all worldly debts should I need to do so. I'll be HODLing, of course, but I never thought I'd be in this sort of advantageous position at this stage in my life.

It feels odd to have this bright spot in my life, and in general to be in a position to work from home during this pandemic and political strife in my country. There's a bit of guilt that comes along with this knowing the juxtaposition of my life versus a significant portion of the population around the world. But countering that feeling is the mission. I didn't place a wild speculative bet on Bitcoin, I invested in a brighter future, and with Elon and everyone at Tesla's Herculean efforts, that investment is paying off handsomely.

One of my primary motivations for holding all these years was the idea that in some small way I was helping Tesla to succeed. I loathed the idea of letting the shares go to the short sellers and bears.
I'm still HODLing, but now I think when I do sell it will be to the next group of people that are invested in the success of the company (and the profit potential).
That will feel better.:)

Last edited:
I have a question: is it possible that when people do sell their shares they can sell them direct to people that they know? If and when it is my time to sell, I’d rather give it to someone here than just put into the world of the whales

This is mania. I bet there will be a blow off top tomorrow. Maybe it will touch the low $1,000s. Too many investors piling in just to make a quick buck. They’ll be out in a hurry as soon as there is a break in trend.

Long term holders need not worry. Anyone on margin needs to deleverage ASAP. This is not normal
This is what lies beyond FOMO: This is "devil take the hindmost." :eek:

Just saying the words "tracking error" makes me break out in a big grin! :D

Reactions: UkNorthampton
The competition is coming.........with a new logo.

GM recreates itself with new logo, website, marketing campaign

Every time I think I fully comprehend how screwed the competition is, GM does some sugar like this.

Elon should send them this shirt.
7652410-00-A_1.jpg

Recently, @Artful Dodger's post underscored better than I ever could the best reason to be invested in TSLA. The synopsis in my head is "It's the mission, stupid!"

It just so happens that investing in this mission can increase one's wealth beyond what I previously thought was possible. Yesterday my portfolio increased more than my initial investment, and soon I'll have enough to pay off all worldly debts should I need to do so. I'll be HODLing, of course, but I never thought I'd be in this sort of advantageous position at this stage in my life.

It feels odd to have this bright spot in my life, and in general to be in a position to work from home during this pandemic and political strife in my country. There's a bit of guilt that comes along with this knowing the juxtaposition of my life versus a significant portion of the population around the world. But countering that feeling is the mission. I didn't place a wild speculative bet on Bitcoin, I invested in a brighter future, and with Elon and everyone at Tesla's Herculean efforts, that investment is paying off handsomely.

Well, I was about to respond to your post that moved me, but the last paragraph saved me from typing something similar to that last paragraph but you said it better. Thanks.

I guess I should think about turning off CNBC.....I just can't. The guy from Shark Tank just went on what felt like an entirely sincere rant that no one's investing in Chevron because they don't like hydrocarbons. I would invest in Chevron tomorrow if I thought it were undervalued.

Making money off these people the next three years might prove even easier than making money with Tesla the last three! They simply can't look past what's right in front of their faces and what perfectly fits the reality they've know their whole lives.
Investor don't like hydrocarbons because they don't like losing money.

I would like to know why a stock split means anything in this case.
1. Short sellers are parasites.
2. Lower stock price allows more retail investors to invest. Yes, I know there can be fractional shares, but not every brokerage has them and I suspect many people feel funny just having a part of a share.

1. Short sellers are parasites.
2. Lower stock price allows more retail investors to invest. Yes, I know there can be fractional shares, but not every brokerage has them and I suspect many people feel funny just having a part of a share.
According to a certain clown anal cyst...a stock split essentially just means taking 4 slices of pizza and making them 8 slices. It does nothing for a stock like Tesla :)

This really means a lot. I know that will eventually be true, although the timing is very uncertain.

But encouragement coming from you, such a strong HODLER, makes me feel a little better about life. Thank you.

You are most welcome.

Perspective is important and when you give more relevance/importance to something it skews your perspective.

Money is nothing more than pieces of paper, hunks of metal or ones and zeros floating in space. It is used to trade for/acquire other things. That is all. To get money in turn you must do something; work, give up/sell something, spend/invest time or energy. That is all.

Refocus and get back on the horse with a clearer perspective.