Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question: is it possible that when people do sell their shares they can sell them direct to people that they know? If and when it is my time to sell, I’d rather give it to someone here than just put into the world of the whales

The concept of a share is purely notional. That's why they call it an equity - it's equitable. Same thing as transferring a $ from your bank account to a relative, it's not the physical dollar bill that you deposited in your account at some time.

I suppose there was a time when there were physical paper/certificate representing stock ownership, but I wasnt alive then :)

1. Short sellers are parasites

The mechanism of short-squeeze helped in part to fuel TSLA's growth, so short sellers were a net positive for this stock.
Not to mention they play an important role in overall function/pricing of the market.

The mission is bigger than Tesla. I have been happy to reinvest Tesla gains in a variety of other stocks like Enphase, SunPower, and Hannon Armstrong Sustainable Infrastructure (HASI). These companies are also doing essential work to decarbonize the global economy. Like Tesla, they are also being highly rewarded by a market that is waking up to the real need to combat climate change.

Invest in companies that are creating a better future for everyone. What better use is there for wealth? If you want to generate some income too, HASI and other renewable investment companies are solid dividend payers. Tesla is great, but I'd encourage us all to find a couple more companies also expanding on Tesla's mission.

Today was the day.
I have sold all my shares (which I am sure is not much in relative terms on this forum!) a moment ago.
Don't get me wrong: I still think Tesla will go ahead and do incredible things in the long term. But I have reached, in fact obliterated, my goals when I bought my first shares a few years ago. I did a 10 bagger, actually a 15 bagger (and more with the options in the crazy run-up last January). I lived the transition from derided stock to king of the market. I have seen things people wouldn't believe (which TSLA longs knew for a fact :cool:). I have not seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, but we are getting closer.

I know I will regret this. So there is no need to tell me how stupid this is. But it's fine.
Very emotional moment.

The only thing that I really wanted to say in this post is a massive thank you to all participants on this forum (and big thanks also to some that left). The knowledge, info, tips, laugh, roar and wisdom I found here - especially in the dark ages of spring 2019 - have been massively important and formative.

Really, thank you all. Thanks to all people working at Tesla for making the impossible happens. Of course, thank you Elon.

Live long and TSLA.
You'll be back...

So just a little sad story. I sold all my shares I had held for 6 years as Covid was ramping up for $700 pre-split.

This week I had 6 calls on Tesla that I sold on Wednesday for a small gain during the turmoil at the capital.

I'm very sad right now :(

EDIT: But I am happy for all of you guys!!!!
I should be worth about $8-15M right now, instead have have a much much much smaller amount plus a huge pile of invaluable investment lessons.

Knowing for a fact that Tesla would succeed, I for whatever reason didn't invest while telling other to do so. Having "missed the boat" on TSLA in 2015 I began an obsession with SolarCIty and dumped half my retirement money into LEAPs and half into SCTY shares. My action expectation was on the order of what we're seeing with TSLA right now, my mistake was thinking I could time such a sea-change in the world order.

So here we are in 2021 and the vast majority of my TSLA shares are converted over from SCTY, all those LEAPs expired worthless years ago. I've learned, mostly from this board, that your primary strategy needs to be accumulate and hold in companies you know will succeed. I'm content with the few bucks I have, and am overjoyed that I could help Tesla break free of the legacy interests that held it down forever.

Keep rational and accumulate on dips! Good luck.

UK Financial Services Company (broker?) email/article

How have our Wealth Shortlist funds performed?
The strongest performer over the last year has been the Baillie Gifford American fund which has returned an extraordinary 110.5%*. Like lots of other high-performing funds, Baillie Gifford American has benefited from being invested in fast growing companies.

We’re pleased with the funds strong performance and to see that it’s benefitting from the digital transformation taking place across the economy. It’s important to note though that outperformance on this scale is rare – it’s not a guide to future returns.

Baillie Gifford American is co-managed by Tom Slater, Gary Robinson, Dave Bujnowski and Kirsty Gibson. The managers look for companies with high growth potential that they think can deliver exceptional long-term returns. They think there aren’t many companies that can do this, so run a relatively concentrated fund of between 30 and 50 stocks. Each company can make a big difference to returns, although this approach increases risk. Over the past year, electric vehicle makers Tesla, e-commerce platform Shopify and software platform Trade Desk have been the biggest contributors to the fund’s performance.

upload_2021-1-8_18-20-38.png

From another site:

upload_2021-1-8_18-22-14.png

The mechanism of short-squeeze helped in part to fuel TSLA's growth, so short sellers were a net positive for this stock.

You conveniently neglect/ignore the fact the short sellers almost succeeded in killing Tesla (which was their goal, not some 'aid to price discovery' b.s.)

Elon said Telsa was within 'single-digit weeks' of bagrupcee during the Model 3 rampup. Do you think Tesla could have benefited from more capital then?

Or do you think that all the cries that 'Tesla can't raise!" due to the pending SEC lawsuit were a coincidence? Those fokkers goaded the SEC bring that meritless suit against Elon and wasted his time, which otherwise would have gone toward the Model 3 ramp (where it would benefit legitimate shareholders).

Memory is rose colored when you forget the very real damage shortz inflicted upon Tesla, and very nearly succeeded, if not for the Hurculean efforts of Elon and his team. The fact that Tesla survived is NOT any credit to shortsellers, and they are paying dearly now for their misguided efforts. It doesn't appear they've learned anything at all.

Last edited:
I understand the benchmark funds can decide at their discretion how much and when they want to buy. Where can I find this information about current holdings and compare it with their holdings on inclusion date?
just curious ... how is this relevant ?

you would be better served to do some research on TSLA ... and keep reading TMC :rolleyes:
this is an investing thread

• Disagree
Reactions: kbM3 and Tyler34
Our favorite YouTubers are all growing up. Rob is on TV with Cramer and now Gali is on the Arcimoto board. I guess Steven Mark Ryan may become PM of Oz next.
According to a certain clown anal cyst...a stock split essentially just means taking 4 slices of pizza and making them 8 slices. It does nothing for a stock like Tesla :)
To continue that metaphor, now you have 8 slices so where before you could only sell to a max of 4 people, now you can sell to a max of 8 people. That would tend to increase the total price you could sell the whole pizza for.

How much money has to be plowed into TSLA for the stock to increase 40B? Is it the same amount, I’ve read online that 1M in investments from retail investors with no sellers would make the stock appreciate of around 7 to 8M. Has someone read and can confirm this?
Where's all the money in GM, Ford, Goal, Oil, Gas, Uber, Lyft and the like going to go when those go bankrupt? Into a winner with a great track record like TSLA perhaps.

Our favorite YouTubers are all growing up. Rob is on TV with Cramer and now Gali is on the Arcimoto board. I guess Steven Mark Ryan may become PM of Oz next.

To continue that metaphor, now you have 8 slices so where before you could only sell to a max of 4 people, now you can sell to a max of 8 people. That would tend to increase the total price you could sell the whole pizza for.

And you can sell to people who can't eat much, kids, people who want to pay half the former price for a 'right sized' slice, etc. Really it's the whole point of a split, isn't it....keeping a stock within reach of retail investors who prefer to buy whole shares (all else being equal)?

I have a question: is it possible that when people do sell their shares they can sell them direct to people that they know? If and when it is my time to sell, I’d rather give it to someone here than just put into the world of the whales

You could "gift" shares with heavy gains to "friends" or "family" who would pay a lower tax rate on the gains. If they then choose to "gift" you something after they sell, that's between you and them.

IN-POST WARNING: This post remains visible in order to serve as a reminder that neither TMC nor its Moderators will countenance blatant recommendations of illegal activity; actions whose penalties can include not just forfeiture of the specific assets, but other assets as well, AND prison time.
Any similar posts that Moderators notice will result in instantaneous and permanent banning from the TMC platform.

This WILL happen if/when there is a Model S refresh. I just put 4000 miles onto my 7 month old S, for a total of 6500. Not much "day to day" driving going on.

Just this morning I have started thinking about updating our 2015 85D. Plan has always been to drive it for a decade, but now like why? Get it into the used car inventory. Only thing holding me back is waiting for a refresh and lifetime free SuperCharging. Then go to the boss.

Reactions: AZRI11 and corduroy