Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trading Options makes you excited for EVERY (market) day. If you can't take the excitement, stay out of the kitchen!
Exactly. ;)

edit: I’ll take the 20 or so month lead on the Street anytime. I would much rather buy my golden tickets early and be comfortably ensconced in my cabin than chasing down the platform trying to board a moving train — especially when the train turns out to be a rocket.

Long term thinking or short term busyness, you choose. You’ll be kidding yourself if you think you can maximize both.

Last edited:
So question about recalls in general.

An ice car has a timing belt that must be swapped out every 80k miles. This is considered wear and tear. If the mcu has a finite wear and tear which the in car software even detects, then would this still be a recall if Tesla officially put it in the maintenance under wear and tear?

No. The "wear and tear" for an integrated circuit would be long-lived enough to be further out than the end of the warranty.

Again, if Tesla had not implemented excess logging in the software early on (we're talking GB of writes per day to a relatively small drive), then they would have had relatively few failures.

My understanding is that Tesla still won't replace the Tegra daughterboard without there being documented (by Tesla) issues and diagnostics recording issues.

So question about recalls in general.

An ice car has a timing belt that must be swapped out every 80k miles. This is considered wear and tear. If the mcu has a finite wear and tear which the in car software even detects, then would this still be a recall if Tesla officially put it in the maintenance under wear and tear?

The timing belt is a user-replaceable service part.

The MCU isn't.

And they haven't put this MCU in new cars in over 2 years- they can't retroactively decide it's suddenly an intended-wear user replaceable part.

Plus as noted the high failure rate was primarily due to Teslas own excessive software logging.

They've since corrected that but too late for the cars that had the write cycles burned up for years before they fixed it.

I sold 10x $650 1/22 puts Monday on the dip for $2k. :) Got me 4 new shares, and put is already 50% down.
Feel like this is as close to a no-risk naked put you can get.:p
You got a disagree from me because you tied up 325k in margin and risked 650k(very unlikely) to make 2k. If my analogy for those selling calls during the inclusion event was "dont pick up pennies in front of a steam roller," the analogy here is "dont pick up pennies behind a steam roller that is going up hill"

You got a disagree from me because you tied up 325k in margin and risked 650k(very unlikely) to make 2k. If my analogy for those selling calls during the inclusion event was "dont pick up pennies in front of a steam roller," the analogy here is "dont pick up pennies behind a steam roller that is going up hill"

I was wondering about this.

How do you get to 325k of margin tied up?

Schwab doesnt show this in any way. Just the negative value of the puts, which are now -$1000.

Seemed it only tied up the cost to cover the puts?

If the stock tanks you can just buy out those calls on the cheap and sell the shares if needed.

He probably has a Portfolio Margin account with IBKR. I reckon he used approximately $25k on margin to sell those 10 puts. I did the same. Free money I concur. You can always roll the puts out. The chance of TSLA dropping 25% in a week is almost zero unless something worse than COVID hits. Anyway, we take risks everyday being in this stock.

He probably has a Portfolio Margin account with IBKR. I reckon he used approximately $25k on margin to sell those 10 puts. I did the same. Free money I concur. You can always roll the puts out. The chance of TSLA dropping 25% in a week is almost zero unless something worse than COVID hits. Anyway, we take risks everyday being in this stock.

I am have some questions to margin and puts.. but we can continue over at the trading thread. :) I have a post about this over there.

I have no idea how much margin I tied up on this trade. :-D

He has Schwab as stated above, but that doesnt matter. It doesn't have to drop to the price of the put to get a margin call if he was towing that line. If it would've dropped to say 725/share the IV would've increased enough to force an action. But that wasn't the point of my post, the point was he tied up all that capital/margin for almost nothing. He could've bought 20 shares on margin which would only tie up ~8k and have the exact same gain at this point.