Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like worldwide semiconductor shortages are causing at least some temporary headwinds for Big Auto. I hope this doesn't impact Tesla as well.

U.S. Automakers Plead for Government Help in Growing Chip Crisis

From Bloomberg:
American automakers are asking the U.S. government to help solve a debilitating shortage of computer chips that is closing auto factoriesworldwide and could restrict production until the fall.
The American Automotive Policy Council -- a lobbying organization for General Motors Co., Ford Motor Co. and the U.S. operations of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV -- is agitating with the U.S. Commerce Department and the incoming administration of President-elect Joe Biden to press Asian semiconductor makers to reallocate output away from consumer electronics and build essential chips for cars.

Missing Chips Snarl Car Production at Factories Worldwide

Also from Bloomberg:
Chipmakers favor consumer-electronics customers because their orders are larger than those of automakers -- the annual smartphone market alone is more than 1 billion devices, compared with fewer than 100 million cars. Automaking is also a lower-margin business, leaving manufacturers unwilling to bid up chip prices as they avoid risking their profitability.

And while the newest cars require more chips, so do the latest consumer gadgets. Smartphones using so-called 5G connectivity require 40% more semiconductors than older 4G versions. Chip foundry Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. reported record fourth-quarter revenue last week, with new 5G iPhones taking up a large chunk of capacity.

Following the German media and what Tesla did so far here in Berlin, it makes no sense to me. Although Riderer presented to the parliament that dry battery production is way less risky for the environment Tesla knows very well not to play with the authorities who at the end of day need to approve it. Its a protected area at last and Tesla was in the last year extra careful to play by the rules. I don't see any reason why they should change that.

There are a couple of mandatory construction requirements if you produce batteries in Germany and it could be quite a effort to change the construction later. Am not an expert but don't feel the rumor has any substance.

With regard to the storage hall, we need to understand that they plan to produce up to 2m vehicles p.a. in Berlin long term and you need a large buffer area for finished goods and supply in case bumps happen in the supply chain.
Yes, it's highly speculative.
But I'm not suggesting that they'll circumvent regulatory approval. They'd have to pass all checks for the conversion. It's rather an optimization of time to production by starting the long lead construction earlier.
Maybe they don't even know what they need to apply for yet, depending on how in flux the dev line config is..

American automakers are asking the U.S. government to help solve a debilitating shortage of computer chips that is closing auto factoriesworldwide and could restrict production until the fall.

translation: Our MBAs have been working for decades to reduce inventory as much as possible. Now that this backfires, let's try to socialize the damage.

Looks like worldwide semiconductor shortages are causing at least some temporary headwinds for Big Auto. I hope this doesn't impact Tesla as well.

From Bloomberg:
The American Automotive Policy Council -- a lobbying organization for General Motors Co., Ford Motor Co. and the U.S. operations of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV -- is agitating with the U.S. Commerce Department and the incoming administration of President-elect Joe Biden to press Asian semiconductor makers to reallocate output away from consumer electronics and build essential chips for cars.

Also from Bloomberg:
Chipmakers favor consumer-electronics customers because their orders are larger than those of automakers -- the annual smartphone market alone is more than 1 billion devices, compared with fewer than 100 million cars. Automaking is also a lower-margin business, leaving manufacturers unwilling to bid up chip prices as they avoid risking their profitability.

And while the newest cars require more chips, so do the latest consumer gadgets. Smartphones using so-called 5G connectivity require 40% more semiconductors than older 4G versions. Chip foundry Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. reported record fourth-quarter revenue last week, with new 5G iPhones taking up a large chunk of capacity.

Pretty sure Tesla has secured enough chip deliveries. It also helps that they don't use 1 ECU for 1 function, but have high integration.

If anything, I would bet this is another opportunity for Tesla to continue to pull ahead of the pack.

Pretty sure Tesla has secured enough chip deliveries. It also helps that they don't use 1 ECU for 1 function, but have high integration.

If anything, I would bet this is another opportunity for Tesla to continue to pull ahead of the pack.

Would be good if someone were to ask this in the earnings call next week... "How are Tesla dealing with the global chip shortage?" I would add it to SAY.com, but I am in the UK so cannot participate :(

Yeah - I thought I read somewhere that other automakers had ratcheted down their orders early in the pandemic in anticipation of reduced demand, and now that the production is allocated elsewhere they're screwed. Tesla was pedal to the metal the whole time, so perhaps this is a non-event for them.

Microsoft invests in Cruise in new $2 billion round – TechCrunch

While Microsoft’s capital is important, the partnership might provide equal and longer term value for Cruise, at least in the two companies’ views. Under the long-term strategic partnership, Cruise will leverage Azure, Microsoft’s cloud and edge computing platform, to commercialize its autonomous vehicle solutions at scale.”

Last edited:
My Japanese is a little rough but I think it translates to "We have no clue how to accomplish autonomy so we are going to make our cars be able to turn away from a crash".
I read "Drift a car and you will drift till it crashes. Teach a car to drift and it'll drift for the rest of your life".

Microsoft invests in Cruise in new $2 billion round – TechCrunch

While Microsoft’s capital is important, the partnership might provide equal and longer term value for Cruise, at least in the two companies’ views. Under the long-term strategic partnership, Cruise will leverage Azure, Microsoft’s cloud and edge computing platform, to commercialize its autonomous vehicle solutions at scale.”

Reading only the title of the link, I’d think that Microsoft is interested in entering the autonomous driving scene. Reading the actual text, it’s clear that Microsoft is mainly interested in billing Azure resources to both Cruise and GM.

From Bloomberg:

Also from Bloomberg:

Just to add that 5G iphone chip is on 5nm which is far from what car makers are getting. The capacity for 22 and 14nm is fine, which is what car makers are getting. No one is putting cutting edge chips into their cars or else their OS wouldn't be so laggy.

From Bloomberg:

Also from Bloomberg:

And while Tesla almost certainly has enough silicon, If they were short they could go to 1 npu per computer as a stopgap measure. It would require putting in 2 npu computers into all cars who paid for FSD upfront, and swapping if someone upgraded. Of course this would be very costly and only done as a last resort.

And while Tesla almost certainly has enough silicon, If they were short they could go to 1 npu per computer as a stopgap measure. It would require putting in 2 npu computers into all cars who paid for FSD upfront, and swapping if someone upgraded. Of course this would be very costly and only done as a last resort.

Interesting. This makes Taiwan and TSMC's usa factory even more important. Who would've thought that chips ended up being the bottleneck in so many things.

For folks who are looking for some income.

Take your margin that you don’t use and sell puts against it. If you get close to strike (I had 850s expiring this week with SP @ 842) you can roll them to next week and pocket a large amount of $. Rolled my 850s to next week’s 855 for a premium of $3.5k each. So far, selling covered calls and puts have brought in $33k in Jan. While HODLing as well of course.

Though it sounds like it - not advice.

Last edited: