Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My opinion is that it will surprise on the upside. Reasons

1) Other makes have been more impacted by the chip shortages. Will have led to some people shopping around - not sticking to usual brand.
2) You can buy a Tesla online. People more accepting of this now.
3) China sales bigger than expected
4) I think there have been quite a few ships to Europe this quarter

View attachment 649527

I'll add one more. 5) No apparent EOQ push.

Biden is also proposing to accelerate the shift to electric vehicles with a $174 billion investment in the electric vehicle market. It includes giving consumers rebates and tax incentives to buy American-made electric vehicles and establishing grant and incentive programs to build a national network of 500,000 charging stations by 2030. It would also replace 50,000 diesel transit vehicles and electrify at least 20% of yellow school buses.

If it's just rebates for American made, not sure if the Mustang Mach-E qualifies? (Made in Mexico?)
Mexico is in North America, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Or, maybe you meant the United States?

Then, it still qualifies, Estados Unidos de Mexico is United States of Mexico. :oops:

I believe that delivery estimates are a setup to say Tesla failed. Tesla guidance for 2021 is 50+% growth. 50% YoY in Q1 is 133,500. 60% 142,400. 75% is 155,750. 100% is 178,000. Many of the people putting out estimates where meh to Tesla 50+% growth. With the S and X delivering next to nill this Quarter. This looks like a setup.

Now I do think that the number will be considerably better then 50% growth in Q1, but some of these seem rather inflated.

My opinion is that it will surprise on the upside. Reasons

1) Other makes have been more impacted by the chip shortages. Will have led to some people shopping around - not sticking to usual brand.
2) You can buy a Tesla online. People more accepting of this now.
3) China sales bigger than expected
4) I think there have been quite a few ships to Europe this quarter

View attachment 649527

If Tesla were to actually deliver 170k this quarter, it would mean a near 100k month of March (more than 2x February) if we take this tracker to actually be Global sales through February.

That would be astonishing.

If Tesla were to actually deliver 170k this quarter, it would mean a near 100k month of March (more than 2x February) if we take this tracker to actually be Global sales through February.

That would be astonishing.
On the other hand: we had around 10(?) boats on the way to europe that started to come in in mid-february.. That would be 50k deliveries (so ~30k if you subtract the feb-deliveries).. including the sales in us/china that were not sold in jan because they were put on boats.

Could happen? Yes. Likely? I don't think so.

Does anyone have an estimate for the lower bound of P/D numbers needed in order to have a realistic chance of hitting the rumored 1M target for this year? I realize that 1M P/D for 2021 would depend heavily on contributions from Berlin and Austin.

As others have mentioned, P/D for Q1 and Q2 should offer some visibility on their internal goals. Others here have a better read on this sort of thing than I do, so I'm just wondering if folks have numbers in mind that would signal one way or another on the achievability of that rumored 1M 2021 target.

I believe that delivery estimates are a setup to say Tesla failed. Tesla guidance for 2021 is 50+% growth. 50% YoY in Q1 is 133,500. 60% 142,400. 75% is 155,750. 100% is 178,000. Many of the people putting out estimates where meh to Tesla 50+% growth. With the S and X delivering next to nill this Quarter. This looks like a setup.

Now I do think that the number will be considerably better then 50% growth in Q1, but some of these seem rather inflated.
That's exactly what Gordon is doing

is there a primary source online for Biden's plan? IE not someone's summary of it, but the actual thing? the closest i can find is this:

from FACT SHEET: The American Jobs Plan | The White House

• Create good jobs electrifying vehicles. U.S. market share of plug-in electric vehicle (EV) sales is only one-third the size of the Chinese EV market. The President believes that must change. He is proposing a $174 billion investment to win the EV market. His plan will enable automakers to spur domestic supply chains from raw materials to parts, retool factories to compete globally, and support American workers to make batteries and EVs. It will give consumers point of sale rebates and tax incentives to buy American-made EVs, while ensuring that these vehicles are affordable for all families and manufactured by workers with good jobs. It will establish grant and incentive programs for state and local governments and the private sector to build a national network of 500,000 EV chargers by 2030, while promoting strong labor, training, and installation standards. His plan also will replace 50,000 diesel transit vehicles and electrify at least 20 percent of our yellow school bus fleet through a new Clean Buses for Kids Program at the Environmental Protection Agency, with support from the Department of Energy. These investments will set us on a path to 100 percent clean buses, while ensuring that the American workforce is trained to operate and maintain this 21st century infrastructure. Finally, it will utilize the vast tools of federal procurement to electrify the federal fleet, including the United States Postal Service.

I'd like to see greater detail, but within this summary, I see two interesting things:
  1. It sounds like the major manufacturers' decades of foot-dragging on EVs will be rewarded: the government will foot the bill for their EV retooling costs. More EVs is objectively a good thing, but it's annoying that this benefit exclusively helps entities who actively opposed the EV revolution.

2. The wording on point of sale EV incentives is unclear - it says incentives will apply to American-made EVs "while ensuring that these vehicles are affordable for all families and manufactured by workers with good jobs". I don't understand the "while" clause. Is it saying the incentive itself CAUSES affordable EVs and good jobs (because it lowers their price, and because American jobs are better than foreign ones), or is it saying the incentive will only APPLY to vehicles that are affordable (no S/X/3P) and made by "workers with good jobs" (code for *union* jobs). The latter interpretation would likely rule out Tesla from this incentive.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an estimate for the lower bound of P/D numbers needed in order to have a realistic chance of hitting the rumored 1M target for this year? I realize that 1M P/D for 2021 would depend heavily on contributions from Berlin and Austin.

there are too many variables to correlate the two. China, Germany, and Austin are huge question marks that overshadow any 10k variance in Q1 deliveries.

Good Morning Teslanaires!

It is window dressing day!

The QQQs bounced off the mid BB yesterday and seem primed for a bit of a rocket.

How high?

The 50 day lies at 321. That would be the ceiling for today I think, but still a big ride up to get there.

Ten year seems flat from yesterday so chances are good for the usual EOQ push up by WS to burnish their numbers.

TSLA has its own reasons to be excited as traders pile in to play the EOQ deliveries push as well as the Biden climate plan unveiling.

Fun is guaranteed for all!

is there a primary source online for Biden's plan? IE not someone's summary of it, but the actual thing? the closest i can find is this:

from FACT SHEET: The American Jobs Plan | The White House
This quote from the article made me chuckle,

"U.S. market share of plug-in electric vehicle (EV) sales is only one-third the size of the Chinese EV market"

The lack of acknowledgement of the fact that the largest producer of BEVs in both the US (Tesla) and China (GM and Tesla) are USA companies or are in partnership with a USA company is significant.

I think we all know how the distribution of funds will play out.

As others have mentioned, P/D for Q1 and Q2 should offer some visibility on their internal goals. Others here have a better read on this sort of thing than I do, so I'm just wondering if folks have numbers in mind that would signal one way or another on the achievability of that rumored 1M 2021 target.
I agree with @Pezpunk 's reply but would like to add that neither Berlin nor Austin are needed to hit 1M provided Shanghai ramps as planned. Key to this is when MIC Y production moves from single to multiple shifts. Leaks (which may or may not be dependable) have this happening in April. If that is the case there is likely to be some statement about it in the Q1 ER.

10k incentives will not last without a cap. That's 8.5 billion dollars worth of incentives to Tesla this year, 15 billion dollars next year. This does not include other car manufactures. The number will hit 200 billion/year by 2028, 300 billion by 2030. All said and done, by 2030 U.S would have given Tesla more incentive combined than the pentagon
Why wouldn't you electrify more than 20% of school buses by 2030? 100% is inevitable by 2035 with zero govt action.

school busses seem like perfect EV vehicles. Tons of down time to charge and don’t go many miles when in use and rarely on the highway. Unless doing a class trip of course.

U.S. Battery Storage Market Set to Boom: Stocks to Gain

This "research" article from Zacs lists a bunch of stocks set to gain from a boom in the US energy storage market. It's hardly worth a read as there's not a single mention of Tesla anywhere in the article. Just another example of how blind much of the market is to the reality of Tesla's energy business.

Biden is also proposing to accelerate the shift to electric vehicles with a $174 billion investment in the electric vehicle market. It includes giving consumers rebates and tax incentives to buy American-made electric vehicles and establishing grant and incentive programs to build a national network of 500,000 charging stations by 2030. It would also replace 50,000 diesel transit vehicles and electrify at least 20% of yellow school buses.

If it's just rebates for American made, not sure if the Mustang Mach-E qualifies? (Made in Mexico?)

Any impact to TSLA of this, or does it not matter (at least in the US) because all other US companies would be in the same boat ?

“Tax on book income: The President would levy a 15% minimum tax on the income the largest corporations report to investors, known as book income, as opposed to the income reported to the Internal Revenue Service.

Corporate inversions: Biden would make it harder for US companies to acquire or merge with a foreign business to avoid paying US taxes by claiming to be a foreign company. And he wants to encourage other countries to adopt strong minimum taxes on corporations, including by denying certain deductions to foreign companies based in countries without such a tax.”

Last edited: