Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That must be fake news. I've been told many times that even the Model 3 is simply too big for many Italian streets and will never sell well there. :oops:

/s
There's been so much expectation for the new model to be called the "2" so the line would be 2-S3XY

Somehow, after reading this about fitting the streets in Europe I had the sudden realization for the name of the Euro-sized car destined to come out of Germany.

It will be a scaled down version of the M3, likely with a hatchback, and it will be called ...

wait for it ...

Mini M3
(pronounced, Mini-Me)

The Partisan/Investment Divide

The partisan divide has become part of the fabric of American culture. It permeates every aspect of our lives.

I am not a Tesla ultra-bull, rather I am a passionate environmentalist; I do all that I can to advocate and advance Tesla’s “Master Plan.” Simply put, I see it as a cultural revolution that is mankind’s best remedy for climate change. Taking this a step further, prospering while doing the right thing, is our best story; it is a narrative (that I believe) resonates across the partisan divide.

Central to the “What I Believe” chasm, is a bitter refusal to not being told what to do. Market makers operate at different levels than retail investors. The rise of folks like Rob Maurer, Dave Lee, apps such as Robinhood and investment firms such as Ark-Invest have created a competitive/adversarial relationship between traditional Wall Street and the new “Young Turks.”

Traditional value investors fight tooth and nail against disruption. Traditional auto makers fight like hell against EVs and autonomous driving. The National Automotive Dealers Association is dug in heels deep against free markets. Main stream media is pissed off that Tesla doesn’t advertise.

All of this, leaves me pondering, does the man behind the curtain keep his finger on the pulse of the TMC? Does he act to squelch TMC optimism?

I’m going to wrap this up, so that I can let someone drive my Tesla while I tell them my story about prospering through TSLA. You know, fighting the good fight.

We just had a Moody’s upgrade. Like in the month of March upgrade. And two whole levels to some junk rating named Bz3aaa-+.

FYI, it was summarily ignored by the market, media, analysts and Santa Claus.
Sounds like my grades in the last semester in college... still haven't figured out the z3...

The issue was if Elon could surprise us with a split whenever he wished as you phrased it.

Since a vote, even one that's certain to pass, needs to happen to authorize more shares first- he can't (unless it was a very small split as noted which seems very unlikely).

Pretty sure several folks have pointed out why they can't- given the # of authorized shares, and the # needed for SBC.

It's more like 1.9:1 at best with current share cap.

Again all of this can easily be "fixed" by a vote to authorize more shares, but a 2:1 or greater split can't be a "surprise" ahead of that happening because there's not enough shares.

I know there was tremendous debate between a lot of folks on if that's really the case or not.

But let's consider it from this perspective regarding "small" splits.

Do you agree Tesla (and Elon explicitly) dislikes shorts and would like to burn them and dissuade them as much as possible?

If so (and I think the evidence is pretty clear it's the case)... AND every stock dividend, even a tiny one, screws over all the shorts.... why wouldn't they just issue an exceedingly tiny split on a relatively frequent but irregular basis- to routinely screw over all the folks naked shorting the stock?

If it's as simple to screw the shorts as ANY stock dividend, and Tesla hates shorts, why only the 1 so far?

Why would they NOT be sticking it to shorts multiple times a year until the shorts stop bothering if it's that simple?
I agree that occasional stock splits seem like the right approach to me. I dig the 5:1 split as much as anyone, but if more frequent 2:1 keep the shorts occasionally in check, I would be happy with that. I suspect Elon has much greater contempt for shorts than me, so I trust his leadership here.

By the way, couldnt Tesla just announce a 5:1 split pending shareholder approval with the date of xxxx? Is that a thing? If so, it might help with the element of surprise?

A real nail biter today with a buzzer beater to give Team Tesla a narrow win. There were frequent lead changes and it looked like Tesla was going to pull away late in the final quarter only to fade at the end as they have tended to do lately. Today's 0.57 change is the smallest point differential all season. A win is a win, though, and gives them a two game winning streak. They are also back to 0.500 for the season.

Today
Score: 691.62
Margin of W/L: 0.57
Attendance: 26,921,492

Season
Record: 32-32
Total margin in wins: 766.72
Total margin in losses: -780.77
YTD gain/loss: -14.05 -1.99%
Avg margin of victory: 23.96
Avg margin of defeat: -24.40
Best Win: 110.58 2021-03-09
Worst Loss: -68.83 2021-01-11
Last 10: 5-5
Streak: W2
Avg Attendance: 41,352,731
Avg Attendance of Last 10: 35,726,523

Interesting elements to my news feed:
  • +0.08%
  • TSLA shares skyrocket
  • Story is 2 hours old

6AAA7BE2-F06C-461E-9696-527E7CBE6997.jpeg

I agree that occasional stock splits seem like the right approach to me. I dig the 5:1 split as much as anyone, but if more frequent 2:1 keep the shorts occasionally in check, I would be happy with that. I suspect Elon has much greater contempt for shorts than me, so I trust his leadership here.

By the way, couldnt Tesla just announce a 5:1 split pending shareholder approval with the date of xxxx? Is that a thing? If so, it might help with the element of surprise?
We will do a 2:1 split at random date once a quarter as long as the share price is above X.

That ought to keep everyone honest.

OT

The night before the Archegos Capital story burst into public view late last month, the fund’s biggest prime broker quietly unloaded some of its risky positions to hedge funds

MM don't care whose blood is spilled.
The interesting part of that story is the “Family Office” investing structure. Very little transparency even for the banks.

OT

The night before the Archegos Capital story burst into public view late last month, the fund’s biggest prime broker quietly unloaded some of its risky positions to hedge funds

Typical case of dog eat dog. Unfortunately, they can act like this without any major consequences.

OT

Really hoping that all these banks are tightening their margin requirements and reducing interest swaps. These are the things that cause financial crisis when left unchecked. Reduce fictional money introduced to the market asap because there are too many big whale gamblers trying to make it big.

I can confirm this is true for my new model S. Email today from Tesla confirmed best case is June (for Toronto). Non-plaid.
While I don't doubt the delivery estimate for your Model S, something would have to be very, very wrong if deliveries aren't starting until June for any location. Would be a mini-disaster on Tesla's part when it comes to executing their business to have production lines down and no deliveries for 6 months of the new S/X. Obviously S/X don't mean nearly as much to revenue and profit anymore, but still.....it would be a pretty big black eye.

While I don't doubt the delivery estimate for your Model S, something would have to be very, very wrong if deliveries aren't starting until June for any location. Would be a mini-disaster on Tesla's part when it comes to executing their business to have production lines down and no deliveries for 6 months of the new S/X. Obviously S/X don't mean nearly as much to revenue and profit anymore, but still.....it would be a pretty big black eye.
Before jumping into conclusions, the guy is in Canada which I expect later deliveries than US.