Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Barron's - 25 minutes ago: Green Infrastructure ETFs

Excerpts:

Joe Biden's plan for a greener U.S. economy could drive gains for clean-energy ETFs owning companies engaged in a wide array of green businesses, including electric vehicles, energy storage, and smart-grid infrastructure...

..Specifically, the plan offers Americans a $7,500 rebate to purchase an EV, versus the current option of claiming it as a tax credit, That would mean car buyers wouldn't have to wait to file their taxes to get their money -- a move that Magoon says would bolster sales. The incentives also prioritize American-made cars, giving Tesla an edge over Chinese competitors such as NIO (NIO), or other foreign rivals like Volvo (SE: VOLV. B), he added.
I’m assuming the term “American-made” will be applied VERY loosely. I’m looking at you Mach-e.

Shareholders would increase the authorized outstanding shares as soon as it was asked of them. It's a mere formality.

If you are saying Tesla can't do a 5:1 between now and that formality, then I would suggest you are not looking at the bigger picture.

The issue was if Elon could surprise us with a split whenever he wished as you phrased it.

Since a vote, even one that's certain to pass, needs to happen to authorize more shares first- he can't (unless it was a very small split as noted which seems very unlikely).

I'm looking at the next 5-10 years in general. And I do believe Tesla could swing a 2:1 at any time.

Pretty sure several folks have pointed out why they can't- given the # of authorized shares, and the # needed for SBC.

It's more like 1.9:1 at best with current share cap.

Again all of this can easily be "fixed" by a vote to authorize more shares, but a 2:1 or greater split can't be a "surprise" ahead of that happening because there's not enough shares.

Additionally, I tend to believe what you term a "small split" would not be small in terms of repercussions. Namely, any dividend stock split would have essentially the same effect, without a massive capitalization by those who had created large numbers of synthetic shares, it would require all naked short positions to be covered.

I know there was tremendous debate between a lot of folks on if that's really the case or not.

But let's consider it from this perspective regarding "small" splits.

Do you agree Tesla (and Elon explicitly) dislikes shorts and would like to burn them and dissuade them as much as possible?

If so (and I think the evidence is pretty clear it's the case)... AND every stock dividend, even a tiny one, screws over all the shorts.... why wouldn't they just issue an exceedingly tiny split on a relatively frequent but irregular basis- to routinely screw over all the folks naked shorting the stock?

If it's as simple to screw the shorts as ANY stock dividend, and Tesla hates shorts, why only the 1 so far?

Why would they NOT be sticking it to shorts multiple times a year until the shorts stop bothering if it's that simple?

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
Additionally, I tend to believe what you term a "small split" would not be small in terms of repercussions. Namely, any dividend stock split would have essentially the same effect, without a massive capitalization by those who had created large numbers of synthetic shares, it would require all naked short positions to be covered.

Of course it would. TSLA is I imagine still the #1 most shorted stock by $ amount....and that's just what's on the books. The amount of unreported naked shorting is likely astronomical, especially right at this moment. Given the current Melvin/Hwang environment, even a tiny indication from the board of a pending split would wreak havoc IMO.

I understand not taking action purely to attack shorts, but at the same time we could certainly use a Moody's upgrade. And if there's a macro dump a cash raise. Plenty of perfectly rational reasons to split.

Interesting piece of FUD from "Investors Daily Journal" or some other silly named "news" outlet. I won't link, but here's the headline:

Two Companies Will Reach $2 Trillion Next (Tesla Isn't One)​

So you're saying we're in the conversation for a $2T valuation? Where? Top 5 maybe?!!?!

Is this some brand of deep reverse FUD one of you threw out there for the algos? If so, well done!

This is earth-shattering! So analysts are projecting that MSFT will rise 5% from $1.9T to $2.0T more quickly than Tesla will rise 200% (from $0.66T to $2.0T)?

Gosh, that TSLA sure sounds like a laggard! :rolleyes: And how is this "race" relevant to investors who make their profits from percent gains rather than when they are invested in a company that hits a new mrkt cap milestone? 🤔

Of course it would. TSLA is I imagine still the #1 most shorted stock by $ amount....and that's just what's on the books. The amount of unreported naked shorting is likely astronomical, especially right at this moment. Given the current Melvin/Hwang environment, even a tiny indication from the board of a pending split would wreak havoc IMO.

I understand not taking action purely to attack shorts, but at the same time we could certainly use a Moody's upgrade. And if there's a macro dump a cash raise. Plenty of perfectly rational reasons to split.
We just had a Moody’s upgrade. Like in the month of March upgrade. And two whole levels to some junk rating named Bz3aaa-+.

FYI, it was summarily ignored by the market, media, analysts and Santa Claus.

We just had a Moody’s upgrade. Like in the month of March upgrade. And two whole levels to some junk rating named Bz3aaa-+.

FYI, it was summarily ignored by the market, media, analysts and Santa Claus.

You should at least wait until next Dec 25 before you make such claims. Santa never ignores.

You said it.

I don't trust the overall the shenanigans that keeps making SP literally opposite reality. Setting a near date feels like driving a car off the cliff, should I jump out, or just get lucky like Starsky and Hutch. I will only do leaps, none planned here. Good luck!

View attachment 651413
Who are these two losers?

This is Starsky & Hutch!!

1617738816273.png

~~~I have responded to the following set of posts with an in-post edit, but in order to capture the views of those who don't go back to a post from much earlier today, here it is again. All: read and heed, please:~~~
Hmm, I wonder if someone has taken delivery or are they referring to something else? Not sure how to read. Maybe auto reviewers? View attachment 650324

~~~In-post Moderator response: YES, and I have alluded discussed that seriously - in a jocular way- in a recent post. This post by @rsm287 is NOT worthy of getting a "funny" response; it is a very serious topic, perhaps about a 7 out of 10 ("10" would be 'of immediate existential importance', let's say).
IF YOU WISH TO PROVIDE A HUMOROUS POST IN THIS THREAD, PLEASE DO SO SUCH A FASHION THAT NEITHER A 'DUMB' BOT-CRAWLER NOR A LOGIC-CHALLENGED JOURNALIST (but I repeat myself) WILL TAKE IT AND RUN WITH IT. This "20,000+" incident is an excellent example of what NOT to post.~~~

I know people here joke about the algos crawling this forum, but this snippet seriously just came up in a search for Tesla news on Google...

Check out the second 'story' 🤪
View attachment 651302

I don’t think it’s a top priority but perhaps now that they’ve done it once with excellent support and results, subsequent ones will happen quicker.

I’d say I don’t care because there’s no fundamental change that occurs but we know that’s bs. Psychology is real and it can turn anything upset down.
Yeah, I‘m with you there.

Psychology is real, but sometimes it’s unreal too—if you know what I mean. ;)

I do like the idea of a couple more 5:1 splits ‘cause it’s fun to have lots "more" shares. :)