Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They jumped out to an early lead and almost frittered it away in the 1st quarter, but they regained their footing and cruised to an easy win before a sparse crowd. This is the first time they have been over .500 for the last 10 since 3/22.

Today
Score: 670.97
Margin of W/L: -20.65
Attendance: 26,209,862

Season
Record: 33-33
Total margin of wins: 779.55
Total margin of losses: -801.42
YTD gain/loss: -21.87 -3.10%
Avg margin of victory: 23.62
Avg margin of defeat: -24.29
Best Win: 110.58 2021-03-09
Worst Loss: -68.83 2021-01-11
Last 10: 6-4
Streak: W1
Avg Attendance: 41,052,802
Avg Attendance of Last 10: 34,725,953
Today's score and margin look like they are actually yesterday's.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chunky Jr.
"Logistics" isn't an add-on built after the main plant is producing vehicles. There is no analog in the Model 3 / phase 1 plant. Agree there's alot of bay door for materials handling, but Tesla's 'just-in-time' assemblyline process has the parts delivered at the bay parallel to where the part is added on the line. Bringing in finished parts at the end of the building is against Tesla's current practices.

So what else could it be? What takes in many different kinds of unfinished parts, and isn't critical to immeditate use for manufacturing the product? Wu Wa thinks this new central construction is the R&D Center (from his spoken comments during his April 6th walk down the East Extension Road (Video#286).

Cheers!
My view is that this new central building is to optimise or reinforce the adjacent Model Y general assembly areas. Perhaps a seperate GA area similar to how the tent was used at Fremont for GA of the performance model 3?

I consider the new large building by itself adjacent to the car loading area to be the design centre. Tom Zhu mentioned it was in construction and would include several large labs for testing various design components. This building looks about the right size to accommodate these tasks along with space for various design studios and offices. It also has excavations that could be for wind tunnels and various other labs in the lerger single story section. The central extension wouldn't fit this purpose as there's no way they need that many loading bays for a design centre.

Reactions: CorneliusXX
QQQ have recovered fully to pre correction levels. So far the biggest loser is Tsla from the triple Qs, and the winners include Google / Microsoft, FB, and Intel which all are higher today than prior to the correction. Apple, Nvidia, Paypal, and Netflix still haven't fully recovered from peak prior to the drop either but no where near as devastating as Tesla.

I see a lot of merit in the theory that MM's and Institutionals were surprised by the P&D beat and have needed to buy time to reposition for earnings. The question is when will they flip the switch and allow TSLA to push up towards $800 as the option OI for next week seems to indicate? Gary Black has tweeted that this will be when Tesla announces the date for the earnings call. I don't agree with everything Gary says but I expect he may be right on this one.

I'm sticking with the April 28th as the likely earnings date (2019-24 April, 2020-29 April). Tesla usually announce the earnings date 2 weeks before (2019-11 April, 2020 15 April), so that would see an announcement on the 14th of April. I'll hold off buying any more short term calls for earnings until next Wednesday. Hopefully after that we see a strong rise into earnings, possibly a brief sell the news and then continued climbing after.

QQQ have recovered fully to pre correction levels. So far the biggest loser is Tsla from the triple Qs, and the winners include Google / Microsoft, FB, and Intel which all are higher today than prior to the correction. Apple, Nvidia, Paypal, and Netflix still haven't fully recovered from peak prior to the drop either but no where near as devastating as Tesla.

All renewables are similarly still down about the same amount as TSLA. The correction was a renewable correction, not a tech correction.

All non-Performance Model 3 and Model Y have just had a $500 price increase across the board.

Minor price increase in anticipation of tax credit?

Model 3 SR +$500, Model 3 LR +$500, Model 3 P +$1000, Model Y LR +$500. A simpleton might say that Tesla raised prices 4 times based on this new price increase alone.

Holy Neuralink, Batman! Wow, Neuralink's progress is quite amazing.

Something clicked for me with this video, neuralink will succeed eventually because of the vision and enthusiasm created because it will draw more and more real researchers to the field. I think my mistake is imagining it would be the scientists that paved the way first. Silly me...

I see a lot of merit in the theory that MM's and Institutionals were surprised by the P&D beat and have needed to buy time to reposition for earnings. The question is when will they flip the switch and allow TSLA to push up towards $800 as the option OI for next week seems to indicate? Gary Black has tweeted that this will be when Tesla announces the date for the earnings call. I don't agree with everything Gary says but I expect he may be right on this one.

I'm sticking with the April 28th as the likely earnings date (2019-24 April, 2020-29 April). Tesla usually announce the earnings date 2 weeks before (2019-11 April, 2020 15 April), so that would see an announcement on the 14th of April. I'll hold off buying any more short term calls for earnings until next Wednesday. Hopefully after that we see a strong rise into earnings, possibly a brief sell the news and then continued climbing after.
The Q3 2020 earnings call was Wednesday Oct 21st. The date was announced after the close on Thursday the 8th. That tells me that if Q1 earnings are going to be on the 21st, the date will be announced very soon (tomorrow?).

Otherwise I would expect an announcement next week that earnings will be on the 28th.

Adam Jonas next earnings call:

"Can we expect Neuralink receivers in Teslas anytime soon?"
Definitely wireless chargers in the headrest of Tesla seats......

Smart, I like this price increase Now as opposed to post tax credit. Much better narrative. Hopefully they do one or two more if the demand allows it. Unlike the naysayers I believe this is worth doing as if we've forgotten that the whole plan was to build expensive cars to start, use that money to mass produce more affordable cars and repeat.

The 3/Y are still not the mass market "inexpensive" car. The sooner they have the funds/research/factories, maybe having higher margins on the 3/Y now leads to one extra gigafactory built in the near future which translates to an extra 1M+ 25k cars produced per year - accelerating the mission. Another way of looking at is, those who can afford to now are helping future buyers by potentially allowing more 25k to be produced - for which there will be unlimited demand. More Tesla's on the road is good for everyone, less pollution and less car crashes.

All non-Performance Model 3 and Model Y have just had a $500 price increase across the board.

Minor price increase in anticipation of tax credit?

Could just be cost of materials. I work with an LED company in China and they just told me a few days ago:

The cost of raw material is much higher than 2019. The chip increased 30% , the PCB increased 30%, the fiberglass increased 15%