Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back by popular demand.
1619469570090.png

Pretty hard for outsiders to estimate.

Regulary credits - way up
Operating expenses - way up
Stock based compensation - way up
sold some bitcoin - unexpected
payed down some debt (with likely extra short time cost) - impossible to estimate

each of these are 100+ million from what almost anyone estimated

Master of Coin is making us all look like toddlers on a playground.

So far the highlight for me is the automotive margin being so good despite S/X being effectively unavailable for the quarter. Generally speaking its those cars that bring in the big percentage profits.
I suspect this is partly because model Y costs not much more than the 3 to make, yet sells for more, combined with the savings from using the casting machine.
This lines us up for a pretty spectacular boost in automotive GM once S/X is back (and refreshed! and with plaid) and once even more model Y production is rolling in China and Freemont.

These numbers look pretty good to me. I wasn't expecting major fireworks because we are pre-FSD full recognition, and still in the 'paying elon his crazy payout' phase. Plus we are pre-texas and pre-berlin. Also this is before anything biden does, regarding encouraging EVs in general, or more directly perhaps returning the tax credit to Tesla.

Definitely only upwards from here for the rest of the year (at least).
Whatever you do, do NOT sell.

I've heard that before but just checking the first result for "gpu mining profitability calculator" it says a NVIDIA GTX 1050 on $0.10 per kWh is profitable for BTC. Same for a AMD R9 380 on $0.10 per kWh.

Those calcs are purely hash vs electricity so they don't count the cost of the GPU. But for cars that people are paying for as cars the GPU price doesn't matter.
It's OT after this but that calculation is the Eth>>BTC conversion I was referring to (Eth isn't suitable to be mined by ASICs which BTC is).

So far the highlight for me is the automotive margin being so good despite S/X being effectively unavailable for the quarter. Generally speaking its those cars that bring in the big percentage profits.
I suspect this is partly because model Y costs not much more than the 3 to make, yet sells for more, combined with the savings from using the casting machine.
This lines us up for a pretty spectacular boost in automotive GM once S/X is back (and refreshed! and with plaid) and once even more model Y production is rolling in China and Freemont.

These numbers look pretty good to me. I wasn't expecting major fireworks because we are pre-FSD full recognition, and still in the 'paying elon his crazy payout' phase. Plus we are pre-texas and pre-berlin. Also this is before anything biden does, regarding encouraging EVs in general, or more directly perhaps returning the tax credit to Tesla.

Definitely only upwards from here for the rest of the year (at least).
Whatever you do, do NOT sell.

Don't forget Tesla has raised prices twice now since the very end of Q1. So likely that gross margins would continue to improve next quarter even with no S/X

Revenue % increases between Q1 vs Q4 in a given year:

2018: 112% increase, $3.41B -> $7.23B
2019: 63% increase, $4.54B -> $7.38
2020: 79% increase, $5.99B -> $10.74B
2021: XX% increase, $10.3B -> ????

Using really sophisticated math, I averaged out the % increases (even though there's a high likelihood it'll go over). It comes out to 84% if they have an average year in 2021 in terms of Q1 -> Q4 growth.

Q4 projected revenue (on back of the envelope math): $19B. That'd be an annualized run-rate of $76B at the end of Q4. Just looking at standard multiples the company is trading at now (~20x):

Thats ~$1.5T market cap company by end of 2021.

Source (revenue): Tesla Revenue 2009-2020 | TSLA

Pretty hard for outsiders to estimate.

Regulary credits - way up
Operating expenses - way up
Stock based compensation - way up
sold some bitcoin - unexpected
payed down some debt (with likely extra short time cost) - impossible to estimate

each of these are 100+ million from what almost anyone estimated

Good points that are mostly signs of a company operating well and taking advantage of opportunities.

Except the Opex and S/X refresh stuff — they’ve got some ‘splaining to do on that. But those margins are shiny.