Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Successful splash down of dragon.
Thanks for flying with us today, hope to see you again at next launch!
Monday?

The last time Dragon's side hatch door was open was on Nov 15, 2020. TSLA opened around $410 the following day. Then S&P DJI announced that TSLA would be added to the NDX eff. Dec 21, 2020 and the rest is history:

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2020-11-27.09-30.png

Note: Tesla announced a $5B Cap raise and equity offer in Dec 2020, taking advantage of the rapid climb.

What will be the next major surprise to launch TSLA to new heights?

Cheers!

Attachments

• snapshot-5.jpg
    snapshot-5.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 54
  • snapshot-4.jpg
    snapshot-4.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 45
  • snapshot-3.jpg
    snapshot-3.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 37
  • snapshot-2.jpg
    snapshot-2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 37
  • snapshot-1.jpg
    snapshot-1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

The various Quad squad guys have suggested it's a new facility for SpaceX to build Starlink receiver equipment. The Austin facility for Starlink was announced in early March and its assiumed this is the location.
While I'm a SpaceX fan, as a TSLA shareholder I'd be kind of angry. The area west of the highway is some of the prime land on tesla's property. Almost undisturbed ground, just the right size and orientation to duplicate the current factory construction.
Unless they made 100%+ profit, i don't see, why Tesla should act as SpaceX's realtor.

I was surprised at how quick it was when I tried to go shopping at an outdoor strip mall with supercharger stalls a couple months ago.

Needless to say, had to move the car after a series of escalating notifications of idle charges, after only the first store of too many.

I look forward to the day of reverse summon.

“Tesla go park yourself when your charge is complete”
Sounds like a bonus, as in "Dearest wife, I'm really sorry, but the car's finished charging, so we have to leave the Mall immediately" - think of the money savings!

The Cybertruck reveal unleashed such disbelief and outrage about its "ridiculous" appearance that some folks seem to think a significant market will remain for "normal-looking" electric trucks. I don't think so.

The ridicule of Cybertruck reminds me of the iPhone reveal: "It looks weird." "No keys? Who can type on flat glass?" "Who the hell wants to watch movies or videos on a phone?"

But the weird-looking phone killed Blackberry, Nokia and Motorola because it has functionality that they couldn't match. Weird appearance was forgotten when buyers realized they could do ten times as much with the device, including increase its functionality with a legion of apps that nobody imagined before.

Cybertruck will have more than just onboard electrical outlets (which Ford will likely imitate): onboard air compressor, highly adjustable angle of approach, rustproof dent-proof bulletproof (badass) body, solar panel option, superior range and performance (of course), FSD, and over-the-air updates enabling future increased functionality in a legion of ways that nobody can imagine.

Cybertruck will kill Ford, IMO. As I may have mentioned before, I expect bankruptcy for the blue oval in ten years, if not five.

Trucks aren't phones. Every mm on a smart/cell phone is precious. There is plenty of room for buttons on a truck dash.

Truck purchases aren't rational decisions. At least not the $40k-$100k types.

Small margin fleet sales of $27k work trucks are rational decisions.

Retail truck purchases are emotional decisions. Even what anthropologist call tribal cultural decisions.

Getting a F Series owner to switch to Silverado is a bridge too far most times. That is switching bands not tribes.

Asking an F Series owner to buy a Cybertruck is like asking him to switch from the Midwestern tribe or Southern tribe to the California tribe. And then the Cybertruck design is like asking him to get a face tattoo signifying his new allegiance.

This will not happen in 10 years much less five. Yes, there will be exceptions. Largely, F Series, Silverado and Ram owners that also own EVs and HEVs that do in fact just need the utility of a truck but otherwise don't see themselves as members of those tribes. Slowly convincing the youngest members of the Southern and Midwest tribes is likely.

I read here not too long ago that the unveil of Model 3 would suck up so much demand it would bankrupt at least one legacy automaker. Maybe two. Then it became once Model 3 was in mass production it will kill at least a couple of legacy automakers. Then ,well, Model Y.

I believe Tesla will sell every Cybertruck they can make without discount. But it will largely go to non Detroit pickup owners. Japanese brand truck owners. Everyday sedan, crossover, and small SUV owners that want the utility of a pickup but weren't willing to pay the fuel weekly of an ICE pickup when they only needed the utility occasionally. Or didn't see themselves as members of the Midwestern or Southern tribes. Or "I don't listen to Country music and have sex with my sister" members of the California and New York tribes.

I know I will get a billion disagrees. Reality isn't subject to a vote on message boards.

Cybertruck will have more than just onboard electrical outlets (which Ford will likely imitate): onboard air compressor, highly adjustable angle of approach, rustproof dent-proof bulletproof (badass) body, solar panel option, superior range and performance (of course), FSD, and over-the-air updates enabling future increased functionality in a legion of ways that nobody can imagine.

Cybertruck will kill Ford, IMO. As I may have mentioned before, I expect bankruptcy for the blue oval in ten years, if not five.
Ford and GM can offer EV trucks that look more normal than the CT and copy many similar features of the announced CT. They can “me too” the 240VAC plugs without too much difficulty, and even the compressor is not too difficult to copy. But, the dent / bulletproof will be unique to CT. So will the lockable “vault”. How important are these features to truck buyers? Well, they have never been offered before, so we don’t know yet. Would the ruggedness of a dent/bulletproof appeal to truck owner? I would be lying if I told you that doesn’t appeal to me, but I am not your typical truck buyer... I am just tired of parking in the back of the lot to avoid door dings. The 30X series cold rolled steel is a new material never offered as an automotive body material. Will it be a parlor trick/ good on paper feature or useful beyond what we never knew we wanted? We’ll find out!

EDIT: I think my comments above supports @RobStark since I’m interested but not a typical truck buyer...

Last edited:
Ford and GM can offer EV trucks that look more normal than the CT and copy many similar features of the announced CT. They can “me too” the 240VAC plugs without too much difficulty, and even the compressor is not too difficult to copy. But, the dent / bulletproof will be unique to CT. So will the lockable “vault”. How important are these features to truck buyers? Well, they have never been offered before, so we don’t know yet. Would the ruggedness of a dent/bulletproof appeal to truck owner? I would be lying if I told you that doesn’t appeal to me, but I am not your typical truck buyer... I am just tired of parking in the back of the lot to avoid door dings. The 30X series cold rolled steel is a new material never offered as an automotive body material. Will it be a parlor trick/ good on paper feature or useful beyond what we never knew we wanted? We’ll find out!

EDIT: I think my comments above supports @RobStark since I’m interested but not a typical truck buyer...
Agree. Rivian already has a compelling truck for people who like a more traditional chassis design. They've even got a kitchen sink, it wouldn't be difficult to add outlets and ancillary products to the mix if they don't have them already.

Reactions: insaneoctane
While I'm a SpaceX fan, as a TSLA shareholder I'd be kind of angry. The area west of the highway is some of the prime land on tesla's property. Almost undisturbed ground, just the right size and orientation to duplicate the current factory construction.
Unless they made 100%+ profit, i don't see, why Tesla should act as SpaceX's realtor.
My understanding is that Tesla bought enough land to build something like 8-10 buildings the same size as the one currently under construction. It will take Tesla many years to use up all that space. If they need more land in a few years they can just buy more.

For SpaceX, they get a site that is ready to go now - which speeds up deployment of starlink. Longer term Tesla gets the advantage of more cross pollination of SpaceX staff.

So in my opinion, there's little downside as that land would have been sitting around doing nothing in the short term, and the potential for some gain by drawing in skilled labour.

I think we have to see the full verdict from Sandy M. on the Mach-e before we can be sure. Ford had onboard electrical outlets in the C-Max Energi back in 2013 which my 3 lacks today. (It is disappointing to have take an inverter with me just to power small electrical devices.) Tesla makes mistakes and Ford has made some whoppers.

As others have said, CT is not for everyone. Ford might make an OK truck for the many classic truck fans. If they can get some in show rooms, they may be able to hold their customers until they can ramp up production. It is an iffy proposition certainly, it mostly depends on the Mach-e. If the Mach-e shows some promise then Ford has a glimmer of hope IMO. That glimmer of hope likely would be a drastically different company.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Trucks aren't phones. Every mm on a smart/cell phone is precious. There is plenty of room for buttons on a truck dash.

Retail truck purchases are emotional decisions. Even what anthropologist call tribal cultural decisions.

Getting a F Series owner to switch to Silverado is a bridge too far most times. That is switching bands not tribes.

Asking an F Series owner to buy a Cybertruck is like asking him to switch from the Midwestern tribe or Southern tribe to the California tribe. And then the Cybertruck design is like asking him to get a face tattoo signifying his new allegiance.

This will not happen in 10 years much less five. Yes, there will be exceptions. Largely, F Series, Silverado and Ram owners that also own EVs and HEVs that do in fact just need the utility of a truck but otherwise don't see themselves as members of those tribes. Slowly convincing the youngest members of the Southern and Midwest tribes is likely.

I read here not too long ago that the unveil of Model 3 would suck up so much demand it would bankrupt at least one legacy automaker. Maybe two. Then it became once Model 3 was in mass production it will kill at least a couple of legacy automakers. Then ,well, Model Y.

I believe Tesla will sell every Cybertruck they can make without discount. But it will largely go to non Detroit pickup owners. Japanese brand truck owners. Everyday sedan, crossover, and small SUV owners that want the utility of a pickup but weren't willing to pay the fuel weekly of an ICE pickup when they only needed the utility occasionally. Or didn't see themselves as members of the Midwestern or Southern tribes. Or "I don't listen to Country music and have sex with my sister" members of the California and New York tribes.

I know I will get a billion disagrees. Reality isn't subject to a vote on message boards.
The Cybertruck isn't for everyone, but we don't necessarily know what brands buyers will come from. I am not expecting more traditional truck drivers to instantly defect, but I would not rule out a slow leak of some customers,

That is becuase the selling point of the Cybertruck isn't just the looks and the brand image. It is how the vechicle performs off road as a recreational vechicle as a work vechicle and as a family vechicle.

While it may not be suitable for a jobs, it will suit some work or some businesses down to the ground.

It will also suit some lifestyles very well.

Some of those early converts may convert others, not based on brand or looks, but on what it does, how it drives, and what it can do.

A earlier example is Japanese cars, initially the seemed destined for small sales numbers, but grew in popularity as they became more familiar.

So while a lot of people might be tribal, not everyone is, and we don't have a breakdown.

I am not saying you are not at least partially right, just that things change over time and people have many different motivations and some people change their mind when presented with new information.

My understanding is that Tesla bought enough land to build something like 8-10 buildings the same size as the one currently under construction. It will take Tesla many years to use up all that space. If they need more land in a few years they can just buy more.

For SpaceX, they get a site that is ready to go now - which speeds up deployment of starlink. Longer term Tesla gets the advantage of more cross pollination of SpaceX staff.

So in my opinion, there's little downside as that land would have been sitting around doing nothing in the short term, and the potential for some gain by drawing in skilled labour.
People are only guessing based on limited information , sure something for SpaceX is being built on the West Side, but I would not rule out a few large Tesla buildings.

i tend to agree with you about the “mindset”
i have a nephew that “likes to own the libs” even to the point of “coal rolling”
(his momma may have dropped him out of the bed when he was a baby 50+ years ago and landed on his head)
however,

where are they going to obtain the fuel in a few short years?

they are an ecosystem, at least to me, fuel and hardware to move the fuel to get more fuel and by the way do work in between
edit:
(as an intriguing thought, at least to me; space is vast, and once in zero gravity, it takes a tiny push to go anywhere outside of gravity wells, so, what will be a very valuable commodity, once you have a stable living environment? fuel. reaction mass to throw away, fuel to provide delta V to get you from “here to there, starting and stopping” so fuel stations will be valuable)

the easy oil has already been pumped or even geysered decades ago
those vehicles are highly fuel inefficient, have “ginormous” fuel tanks
a simple statistic on “number of fueling stations, which is dropping
“reality” of “yeah, cannot run them on air, but I could if they were electric”
this is _not_ a disagree but it’s going to be a “gotcha” for fossil fuel users ‘real soon now’, an accelerating negative feed back loop.
this graph ends ~14 years ago, but the trends continue, I think I found a few numbers indicating below 100,000, so maybe 26 years to lose 50%.....

As a related aside/correlation single data point, I have been startled at the large number of PV arrays, 10kw and above, popping up all over in my local neighborhoods, “?solar refineries?” for manufacturing fuel for vehicles and homes
1619954764620.jpeg

Last edited:

Disagree because you sprinkle a few "I believe" with a lot of " This will not happen"

The tribal nature of humans is true. But the utility the cybertruck provides will prevail ....I believe.

Disagree because you sprinkle a few "I believe" with a lot of " This will not happen"

The tribal nature of humans is true. But the utility the cybertruck provides will prevail ....I believe.
Agreed.

To a greater or lesser degree many modern truck buyers are members of the "Look at ME!" tribe.

Cybertruck's unveiling, and the "at first I didn't like it, but..." effect is what exemplifies the driving force behind the paradigm shift to the new normal. Some will complain right up to the moment they put down their deposit, yet they will, just the same, because it makes sense to do so, and/or, their neighbor/best friend/role model bought one.

The number of truck owners who are dyed-in-the-wool traditionalists are probably fewer than those who claim to be. Many among their ranks will eventually capitulate for any of several reasons, Ego being the primary one, even if only to move to their brand's electric product or a Rivian. Cost, upkeep, utility, etc. and general adoption will be factors, as seeing CTs in the wild becomes more routine.

The advent of the Mini-van might be a worthy example of something "nobody wanted" yet became ubiquitous over a short period of time. (think Danny Di Vito and John Travolta in Get Shorty, "this is the Cadillac of minivans")

A few die-hards will go extinct in the ending of the ICE age and others will become "collectors" who are willing to deal with those old-fashioned, maintenance heavy, and smelly-fueled vehicles. Those pickups will trickle off from being the daily driver as the hassle of ownership by comparison to electric makes the choice to go electric clearer.

It won't be an overnight flick of the switch, it will be a trend that progressively ramps up over time. The amount of time will be determined solely by how fast Tesla can produce them.

Cybertrucks won't be sitting on lots waiting for buyers to make up their mind whether or not they want one. It will be many years before that scenario exists.

Last edited:
Recent article reports that the Texas power outage cost the Samsung fab in Austin (supplier to Tesla) at least $268 million. 71,000 in process wafers were affected, and it took more than a month to recover.

Shutdown of Austin fab during freeze cost Samsung at least $268 million

Relatedly: Sansung may producing the guts of a new headlight for Tesla, per TorqueNews.Tesla And Samsung Have Both Signed On With One Another To Work On LED's For Smart Headlamps | Torque News

Samsung may also be building a new $18B plant in Austin (site selection to be announced this month).

Recent article reports that the Texas power outage cost the Samsung fab in Austin (supplier to Tesla) at least $268 million. 71,000 in process wafers were affected, and it took more than a month to recover.

Shutdown of Austin fab during freeze cost Samsung at least $268 million

Relatedly: Sansung may producing the guts of a new headlight for Tesla, per TorqueNews.Tesla And Samsung Have Both Signed On With One Another To Work On LED's For Smart Headlamps | Torque News

Samsung may also be building a new $18B plant in Austin (site selection to be announced this month).
As an insurance policy, $268m could buy quite a bit of stationary storage for Samsung to ensure this doesn't happen again - probably more than enough to last them a week off-grid. They now know the cost of relying on the grid.