Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From: https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022//?intcmp=hp-bb-f150-lightning

View attachment 664146

And this:

View attachment 664145

I swear there were more details than "coming soon" for the $40k version last night, but it seems that they have removed them. So they don't give any hint when the "commercial oriented" truck will start shipping.

So you are looking at a starting price of $53k for trucks shipping in spring of next year.
I saw that the $39,974 version was the stripped down commercial oriented truck. Didnt see a different release date. Also does anyone know how the regular F150 commerical oriented truck compares to the retail truck?

As of right now most Tesla owners have another gas car in the garage. The car is like a super powerwall, 4x of one powerwall. It keeps the lights on much longer than a regular powerwall. So for the time being, having v2h on all Tesla products will be a huge blow to powerwall sales. Now when the future comes and there are robotaxies and 100%ev transition, then maybe you can make a case for powerwalls even if v2h exist.

Also with BTC Tesla can make a sale and a buy so their btc balance is the same but washes away the loss from the accounting rule.

V2H would make PV + 1 battery better, so it could help overall demand by increasing the number of installations.
The key things are that:
- you can't use PV directly to charge a car that isn't there.
- 1 battery is less likely to be able to support peak load

BEV is home.
PV -> Fixed Battery, BEV, grid
BEV leaves:
PV -> Fixed Battery, grid
BEV arrives:
(PV + )BEV + Fixed Battery -> Peak home load

This is new to me. Where did you see this?

From: https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022//?intcmp=hp-bb-f150-lightning

I swear there were more details than "coming soon" for the $40k version last night, but it seems that they have removed them. So they don't give any hint when the "commercial oriented" truck will start shipping.

So you are looking at a starting price of $53k for trucks shipping in spring of next year.

Yeah, it originally said the fleet edition (stripped down) Lightning is due for May of 2024, and that is the $40K version. No touchscreen or other comfort features.

The normal truck at 230 miles range is actually $53K, with the fully loaded Platinum Edition (the truck they had on stage last night) coming in at around $90K.

Ford's presentation was a tad deceptive in it's marketing strategy.

It will cost quite a bit for this option, you need to buy the Ford home disconnect electronics, get an electrician to install it at your house, maybe deal with permits and the power company. Could end up being over $1000 for something you might use once or twice a year. I think most customers will just run an extension cord from the truck power outlets into their home, maybe power a heater or the fridge, for an occasional outage. You can do the same thing with the Cybertruck.
Also my understanding Tesla's just need a software update to enabled this sort of functionality. The real work is the additional electronics needed at the house for power system to accept the juice from the vehicle.

Reactions: gabeincal
Your choice is ending up buying half of the powerwalls you would have purchased because v2h can help you suppliment. Either way it's decreasing demand because there's a duplication of products.

True. But that’s a bit different than ‘killing sales’ when they currently cannot meet demand as it is. I waited near a year for our 3 units.

Also I find it interesting that I got thumbs up after saying how Tesla doesn't want to take away powerwall sales during the battery day event when Elon wasn't interested. Now I am getting thumbs down for saying the same thing..lol.

I didn’t thumb you either way. And we are not all of the same opinions here. :)

Hmmm, my wife forbade me from doing Ludicrous launches when she's passenger in my Model X - she claims she almost passes out, and that's a sluggish 3 seconds 0-60

On the other hand, I put Chill Mode on the one time and she complained I was driving too slow

I guess that's marriage for you, eh? 🤷‍♂️
Hmmmm... There ought to be an easy software solution... I mean, the driver and the passenger can each set their own heat/A/C settings, right? So theoretically there ought to be a way to...

View attachment 664146

And this:

View attachment 664145

I saw that the $39,974 version was the stripped down commercial oriented truck. Didnt see a different release date. Also does anyone know how the regular F150 commerical oriented truck compares to the retail truck?

It's a little difficult to see, but it does say "COMING SOON 5/24" for the commercial base. Some are arguing that maybe they have another presentation on May 24th for the commercial base, some are taking it to mean that the commercial base option will not be available until May 2024.

1621519384085.png

EDIT: It looks like there's more details on May 24th... I'm wondering if there is a significant difference in the looks of the commercial version:

1621519677908.png

Here is Yahoo infor on the actual size of the Lightning.

with the wheelbase 0.1-inch longer, overall length greater by 1 inch, width up by 0.1 inch, and cab height taller by 1.7 inches. Interior space is unchanged. Ground clearance at 8.9 inches is half-an-inch less than the standard 4x4.

OK then, it just looked skinny next to that woman who introduced it. The taller cab height could have made it look narrower too. 1.7" taller overall is significant. This is not a good change - my F-150 is already limited by low ceiling height of some parking garages and car ferries. The twin-I beam ladder frame wastes huge amounts of vertical space and increases frontal area (drag) for no good reason. The Cybertruck is very efficient in terms of packaging and interior/exterior volume efficiency.

Wondering what type of reveal / delivery event this is going to be on June 3rd for the Plaid S..... On the Q1 call Elon mentioned a presentation for it, and this is a delivery event...
This is the kind of sandbagging I really like!
Looking forward to it very much.

(OT We have an ICE vehicle as well, 2020 Honda Odyssey and it is a gas guzzler.... can't wait to replace it)

So are you unaware that EM tweeted your profile pic (Diamond hands) yesterday ;)
Hardly. It's about the new cost basis for the digital asset. Tesla's sale in Q1 reset the threshold for reporting an impairment due to a lower cost basis. Further, we have zero information right now on whether Zach did any further sales in Q2 before Elon's announcement on May 12. That's already half-way into the quarter.

I caution you to guard against creeping STES. It impairs judgement, and leads to losses. Sometimes the best answer is "I don't know", especially when based on incomplete information and amid a withering media disinformation campaign funded by zealous opponents.

I do know that I trust Zach to do what's in Tesla's best interests. I'm fine with not knowing the detailed strategy in real time, since making that public would defeat the effort. But there are more things in play here than Q2:

If Governments can be convinced to levy a carbon fee on dirty miners, and Tesla begins selling Megapack installations to support mining with renewables, that's a permanent fix and a win for everyone.

Hardly. It's about the new cost basis for the digital asset. Tesla's sale in Q1 reset the threshold for reporting an impairment due to a lower cost basis. Further, we have zero information right now on whether Zach did any further sales in Q2 before Elon's announcement on May 12. That's already half-way into the quarter.

I caution you to guard against creeping STES. It impairs judgement, and leads to losses. Sometimes the best answer is "I don't know", especially when based on incomplete information and amid a withering media disinformation campaign funded by zealous opponents.

I do know that I trust Zach to do what's in Tesla's best interests. I'm fine with not knowing the detailed strategy in real time, since making that public would defeat the effort. But there are more things in play here than Q2:

If Governments can be convinced to levy a carbon fee on dirty miners, and Tesla begins selling Megapack installations to support mining with renewables, that's a permanent fix and a win for everyone.
STES :) definitely not me. Would further caution those on TMC who think they are smarter than the rest!!
However sometimes EM (the celibrity) suffers from STES (the Engg) IMHO :)

If Tesla solves Renewables, it solves all Crypto.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I think that's realistic for this time next year. Tesla will have two new modern Giga Factories up and producing, the Cybertruck and Semi will both be in production, 4680 cells will be in use and being manufactured, the Model 2 will likely be announced, and full FSD will be in subscription mode and released to the public.

$1000 per share in May 2022 seems rather conservative in my opinion.
Agree.

If one can rise above the fog of Tesla FUD, it is clear as day that all roads lead to a net zero future. And all those roads converge on Tesla. There is no large company that has more government and societal tailwinds pushing it forward than Tesla, and no company is better able to leverage those tailwinds.

In business, government, and finance, trillions of dollars are pouring into, and will continue to pour into, a renewable transportation and energy economy--it is simply inevitable if human society as we know it is to continue. The social cost of carbon emissions is far too great, and it's literally killing us. Governments around the world are taking heed. If you can pull yourself away from covid and Autopilot crash headlines for a moment, you will find much news to be dominated by environmental concerns. Even the U.S. Defense Department now recognizes climate change to be the greatest threat multiplier the world has ever known.

What Tesla shorts like Burry don't understand is that they are fundamentally shorting life as we know it. All the money in the world is useless if your mountaintop compound is surrounded by forest fires or your private island is under water. When the world food supply crashes, your money won't help you.

My bet is on Tesla.

I have one Tesla. Saving the other spot for the roadster pending share price recovery. :D
Same for me. In the meantime I’m waiting for my M3P to start tracking a bit. Figured I might as well get experience on a cheaper vehicle and be able to handle the roadster when it finally becomes available (and pending SP).

It's a little difficult to see, but it does say "COMING SOON 5/24" for the commercial base. Some are arguing that maybe they have another presentation on May 24th for the commercial base, some are taking it to mean that the commercial base option will not be available until May 2024.

View attachment 664158

EDIT: It looks like there's more details on May 24th... I'm wondering if there is a significant difference in the looks of the commercial version:

View attachment 664160

Sounds Milton-ish. Not a good sign. But then we already knew.

loss depends on the price of BTC at the end of quarter?
@Artful Dodger is right that the one variable that hasn't been deep dived yet is that Tesla actually already took an impairment loss (27M) in Q1 prior to recognizing a gain from a sale of ~10% of their position.

So, it is entirely possible that their current cost basis would be lower than their original acquisition cost (depending on what cost accounting methods are permissible for crypto... LIFO, FIFO, Average... I haven't dug in to that yet). That said, the $67M number from Rob Mauer is likely close to reality (might be a little overstated given the Q1 impairment). So, absent Tesla having sold something in the quarter to off-set that, we are likely to see some level of impairment loss on Q2's financials.

Again though, completely immaterial to the business or the financials. Even if they take a FULL WRITE OFF, it would be a meaningless hit to their annualized EBIT going forward. This narrative of trying to blame BTC for TSLA's performance is tired and pointless. They're not actually correlated. The whole market has been taking a dump the last few months. Rob's video from two days ago does an eloquent job of putting things in to perspective.

Seriously. Most Tesla owners I know have one car. A few have two Teslas or one Tesla and another EV.

we have 1 ICE and one Tesla. so do our next door neighbors. so do almost all the Tesla owners i know. there are a bunch of reasons -- some can't afford two cars of that price range, and their second vehicle is much older/cheaper. some need a van or truck. some just haven't needed to upgrade BOTH their cars yet.