Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The trend is your friend... until it isn't your friend.

Because everyone knows the pattern.. it might not repeat itself. SP of 600 is relative weakness. More room to run up than crush back down. Now if SP was testing ATH, yes probably for sure on the way down.

Those selling calls might have their shares disappear at disappointing prices.

Yes - I'm being cautious with covered calls here.

Troy's Q2 estimate (public in a few days, I think) is revised down again, though that was likely in response to the parts shortage (and as you noted, very few - if any - Y VINs being assigned). I don't know what folks think about his estimates after last quarter's ~10% miss, though.

If you're going to share proprietary information (you shouldn't), at least share accurate information. Troy did not revise his estimate down; he said that if the issue were a problem it would cause him to revise his estimate down.

Troy's Q2 estimate (public in a few days, I think) is revised down again, though that was likely in response to the parts shortage (and as you noted, very few - if any - Y VINs were being assigned for a bit there). I don't know what folks think about his estimates after last quarter's ~10% miss, though. I appreciate his work and thoroughness and hopefully he's tightened up on the issues from Q1.
He’s wrong and laughably wrong at this point. He will be off by more than 10% this quarter...maybe even 15% if he revised downward again

I don't see much difference in launching FSD subscriptions early or late in the Qtr. However, to minimize the financial impact, I do see a benefit of launching FSD subscriptions only when FSD has been fully achieved. Here's why:

Tesla recognizes about 60% as revenue immediately upon FSD purchase. So when a customer purchases FSD for $10k, $6k is recognized as Revenue and $4k is deferred. If that customer now buys the subscription at $200/month, Tesla would only get $200-$600 in that Quarter vs $6,000 vs the buy option.

Today, its 100% Buy and 0% Subscribe. In the future, if this changes to 25% Buy and 75% subscribe, there's a hit to revenue and cash flow.
If they launch the subscription service when FSD is feature complete, then they can recognize $10k for the 25% purchasing rather than $6k, offsetting some of the impact of subscriptions.

In the long run, subscriptions are better as the take rate will increase but there is a short term impact to revenues and cash flow.
Subscription models being better in the long run as you state is really true for stable companies with large fleets. For BMW new car sales might account for only 5% of their fleet. So a BMW subscription can theoretically tap into a 20X larger market than their new car sales. In Tesla’s ultra-high growth scenario, new car sales are always roughly 50% of the fleet, so the existing fleet presents only a 2X larger market.

So even though Tesla will hopefully be receiving a sizable percentage of subscription revenue from the current fleet of 1.2M vehicles 5 years from now, that revenue will be dwarfed by the number of new car sales Tesla will be making in 5 years.

This same problem shows up with out of warranty repair income, leasing, Supercharger and any other recurring revenue. Until Tesla’s growth slows dramatically, new car income just absolutely dominates everything else.

Thanks for the free Gordo today Ford!

1622049965357.png

Just bought another 227 shares. I think buying in run-up to S refresh shipping date and Q2 production should be easy money.
i gave you :D... as TSLA is never "easy" money... requires many hours on TMC ... glad to see your "I'm out" the other day was only temporary;)

I wonder if the "far left activists" are just unhappy German auto industry execs, haha.

There are so many companies in the world that aren't "green, ecological nor social"--picking on Tesla, of all companies, is just plain silly.

No, this seems to me like the work of Big Oil's economic hit men.

That was my first thought and my assumption without any information to the contrary.

I think for you to state that you should have information that actually supports your thesis ;).

The group that declared they started the fire did similar attacks previously, including on the power supply to Berlin regional trains and an institute working on a smartphone app to track possible Covid infections. At least for the latter it is kind of hard to construct a connection to Big Oil... IMHO just some very confused people.

Source (info is only in the audio stream, unfortunately can´t google translate that, so you have to trust me here...)

... and there's the Mid-BB (just like clockwork b4 the 'noon whistle'). Wall St. lunch buckets. :p

View attachment 666458

Now I expect a slow walk dn over lunch, but let's see if some FOMO develops to help provide a little volume for support.

Cheers!

Yeah, lunchtime played out as expected: about a $6 dip was all they could mangle by 1:00 pm. Now were back above the Mid-BB at 623.49 around 2 hrs, 15 min after our 1st visit earlier today... :p

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2021-05-26.14-10.png

So now let's see where the rest of the afternoon session takes us.

Cheers!

Last edited: