Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...ave-violated-sec-settlement-agreement.229743/

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/01/tech/elon-musk-tesla-sec-tweets/index.html

1622601903833.png

I’ll take what is likely a contrarian take here: the “stock price is too high” tweet seems to fly in the face of the agreement tesla/musk & SEC made, and we should all be happy that the SEC chose to not proceed further with any sort of enforcement action and didn’t make their frustration public, and instead handled the matter privately with Tesla & Musk.

I’ll take what is likely a contrarian take here: the “stock price is too high” tweet seems to fly in the face of the agreement tesla/musk & SEC made, and we should all be happy that the SEC chose to not proceed further with any sort of enforcement action and didn’t make their frustration public, and instead handled the matter privately with Tesla & Musk.
Yes. WSJ story said this is a nothing burger
(The feud appears to have ended in a stalemate without further consequence to Tesla or Musk, the correspondence suggests. Tesla’s lawyers argued against the SEC’s claims about the tweets, and the SEC never went back to court to ask a judge to intervene.)
Most media outlets will leave that part out, of course.

View attachment 668598

Can anybody enlighten me as to the specific tweet referred to by Yaman in the last para, re 4680 at Giga Texas? TIA.

ok, think I understand it now, having found this tweet:

I assumed I must have missed a tweet about some actual production of 4680 cells at Texas. I think Yaman is bullish because Elon announced that the Y out of both Texas and Berlin would use 4680, as it demonstrates high level of confidence in Tesla’s ability to make those cells. I mean you wouldn’t build two Giga factories then mothball them while waiting for your cell department to ramp.

It was interesting that the buildings for the cell making were late to start, (then go up crazy fast) as though there was still a question mark as to how big or how to apportion these buildings.

Took a break from the ticker today at around 9:10AM. Tired of the glue, the FUD. Saw a toilet boy tweet, was absolutely disgusted. They should put that guys face on cigarette packs to make you think twice or else mb revamp the Mr. Yuck with his mug. Big AH Windbag that one is.

today did many chores, ordered new campagnolo groupset for my De Rosa. Pricey. Hobby’s, summer, bbq,garden. All the good stuff. Hope everyone had a nice Memorial Day.

I think we climb soon, donno when donno when but I know we’ll meet again some sunny day.

I think Yaman is bullish because Elon announced that the Y out of both Texas and Berlin would use 4680, as it demonstrates high level of confidence in Tesla’s ability to make those cells.

I posted on that topic here.... Reminding myself how Tesla is so far ahead that it is seriously undervalued

Executive summary - this is the new normal, I'll be surprised it Tesla doesn't keep going at this pace, they need to, to make 20 Million cars per year by around 2030.

Last edited:
Compare Gary Black to a veteran investor like Ron Barron who has made billions of dollars for himself and others by taking a patient buy and hold approach. There's really no comparison, The former appears nervous about his holdings, will take the tax hit by selling simply because he thinks it might go down for a month or three, while the other seems secure in his conviction, is in no hurry, and understands that money paid in taxes is money that is no longer compounding.

One is a multi-billionaire and the other never will be.
Gary's Tesla and TSLA opinions aren't very interesting to me. I don't feel I get a lot of new info from him.

However, he's way more honest about his opinions on Tesla and TSLA than most. I respect that tremendously. He actually puts price points on the stock, based off of company fundamentals, projected out farther into the future than most analysts would dare.

You pontificate on vague abstract investing philosphies ad naseum (which I think are correct!). Absolutely no offense, but I respect* Gary much more for putting his neck out there.

*I don't appreciate logically, socially vague accusations like "ron baron is a billionaire investor and gary is not because of baron's investment commitment to TSLA. (paraphrasing)" Baron was highly successful long before he got into TSLA...which is a point no greater than Dr. Burry was right during the recession...

Gary's Tesla and TSLA opinions aren't very interesting to me. I don't feel I get a lot of new info from him.

However, he's way more honest about his opinions on Tesla and TSLA than most. I respect that tremendously. He actually puts price points on the stock, based off of company fundamentals, projected out farther into the future than most analysts would dare.

You pontificate on vague abstract investing philosphies ad naseum (which I think are correct!). Absolutely no offense, but I respect* Gary much more for putting his neck out there.

*I don't appreciate logically, socially vague accusations like "ron baron is a billionaire investor and gary is not because of baron's investment commitment to TSLA. (paraphrasing)" Baron was highly successful long before he got into TSLA...which is a point no greater than Dr. Burry was right during the recession...

I think you missed my point. Gary is all about timing the market and that is not the most productive way to invest, statistically speaking. Look at how the most successful investors invest and act accordingly. Hoping the stock splits reeks of short-term thinking. The only reason I would be in favor is if Elon thought he could burn the naked shorts again.

I can say big-picture investing has worked very well for me and I have to laugh at how stressed all the market timers seem to get. They have to crunch monthly delivery numbers, they stress about Elon's tweets, watch the daily stock price as if it were a an important feature of our fleeting lives, and on and on and on. I prefer to look at the big picture, not worry about an earnings miss or parts shortage, pandemics, interest rates, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I might look at those things from time to time to keep an eye on things, particularly in the somewhat rare situation in which I'm looking to establish or exit a position, but I find plenty of more interesting things to do most of the time than worry about next weeks stock price or whether the stock will split or not. And it's the most productive way for individual investors to invest. That's why the accounts of dead investors and those who forgot they had accounts, outperform those who actively trade their accounts.

As to Ron Baron's wealth, look at the average annual returns of his funds. It's not luck, it's doing what works. He started out with nothing.

Newspaper report in Taiwan shows Model 3 took first place in May imported luxury category at 986 cars sold.
疫情升溫使車市衰退近 10%!5 月台灣新車銷售成績公布 - 自由電子報汽車頻道 (traditional Chinese site)
1. Tesla Model 3 986
2. M.Benz GLC 587
3. Lexus NX 566
4. Lexus UX 394
5. M.Benz GLE 369
7. M.Benz A-Class 320
8. BMW 3 Series 304
9. Volve XC60 302
10 Lexus RX 299

As reference, for imported non-luxary category, first place is Toyota RAV4 at 1542 and domestically produced car that enjoys significant tariff advantage is Toyota Corolla Cross at 1892

These TSLAQ are getting unbearable, why not recall any steering rack that doesn’t have hydraulic, and parking brakes that doesn’t have cable connected to a lever?

Oh, Tesla is shipping cars without an gas engine, stop them! Fraud!

/s
Interesting enough, that particular TSLAQ is the auto reporter of the New York Times...

ok, think I understand it now, having found this tweet:

I assumed I must have missed a tweet about some actual production of 4680 cells at Texas. I think Yaman is bullish because Elon announced that the Y out of both Texas and Berlin would use 4680, as it demonstrates high level of confidence in Tesla’s ability to make those cells. I mean you wouldn’t build two Giga factories then mothball them while waiting for your cell department to ramp.

It was interesting that the buildings for the cell making were late to start, (then go up crazy fast) as though there was still a question mark as to how big or how to apportion these buildings.
Tesla said nickel based chemistry will be used for mass sensitive vehicles. Iron phosphate for volume vehicles. They are all packaged into the 4680s. I am assuming iron phosphate 4680s first as it's cheaper and not on shortage.

Tesla said nickel based chemistry will be used for mass sensitive vehicles. Iron phosphate for volume vehicles. They are all packaged into the 4680s. I am assuming iron phosphate 4680s first as it's cheaper and not on shortage.
Have you seen an iron phosphate 4680? I always thought of that chemistry as a pouch battery because the first one I saw was.