Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people reporting they cancelled their Cybertruck reservation based on Crypto tweets were lying through their teeth, many of them probably didn't even have reservations, they were just trying to drum up Elon hate.

As someone anxiously awaiting a Cybertruck, I WISH it were true but I have to be realistic about these things. 😢
If everyone that posted they cancelled their cyber(nota)truck did cancel it and got 10 friends to do so as well then it would be, how do you say?
A burger not of a thing?

Sorry for the slow day OT. My fire department has been buying pierce fire engines for years. We’re a relatively large contract for them. Fingers crossed that soon I’ll be driving EXCLUSIVELY electric vehicles.

This excites me.

Interesting this company made the announcement today. If Plaid uses 18650s as is most likely at this point, it’s also highly likely physical changes have been made to the cells which Tesla may reveal tomorrow.

A Cyberwrangler (would obviously need a different name) made for off-road dominance would be a great product, and a Cybervan (not minivan)

I think Tesla should eventually spin off Cyber into it's own brand
And you'd only have to double the bureaucracy, add more silos, and create little territories. Sounds to me as if it's a recipe to turn Tesla in GM.

Because consumers do care, at least a subset does.

For example, in Samsung's yearly Galaxy phone launches, they use their in-house Exynos chips for the Asian and European markets. The US market exclusively uses Qualcomm Snapdragon chips which to date have performed better. There are people who prefer to get a Snapdragon device shipped... Samsung knows this and they've offered free buds/extra storage capacity in the other markets to keep pricing same.

Again, all of my pipedreams are based on the assumption that Elon/Tesla have sandbagged Kato Road yield and output. Moment of truth in less than 48 hours.
No. YOU care. The average person does not nor could they even tell you the difference between an Exynos and a Snapdragon chip. I don’t know a single thing about Samsung phones and barely know anything about my iPhone. I only care that it works when I turn it on.

Be careful not to assume that your interests, cares, or knowledge of a product is universally the same. It is not.

We, here, are uniquely well-versed in all stuff Tesla/Elon. I have friends with Teslas that don’t even know their car has a fart mode, let alone most of the other useful technology in it. I have friends who don’t even know their car has a slew of games. The people with young kids/gamers in the family know but most everyone else has no clue - even as owners of the vehicle.

A vast majority of consumers know only that which they see/hear in an ad, what friends/family/acquaintances/coworkers/strangers have told them or that they’ve discovered in some other passive way.

Some consumers will educate themselves about competing products when they need to buy and particularly if they consider the purchase expensive or important in some way. But still others will buy on whimsy, if it strikes their fancy or their best friend said such and such is awesome.

While our knowledge base is growing worldwide, we as a whole are still very limited in our knowledge. I guarantee, even today, the vast majority of Tesla owners and buyers not only don’t know the form factor of the batteries in their cars, they also don’t give a flip. They care that the car works for them and their lifestyle. That it’s safe or that it’s low maintenance or whatever feature is important to them.

In terms of CYBRTRCK, everybody notices the look because it’s front and center and smacks you in the face. It can’t be ignored. It’s why the initial reactions were so vehement. Some people won’t ever be able to get past those looks no matter if it poos gold bullion. They can go buy the Lightening or a Rivian or a Lords - okay, probably not one of those.

Point being, consumers often don’t know what they want or what they need until it’s shown to them and that’s because other things in life are more important to them that what kind of chip is in their cellphone that they’ll drop in the toilet and then replace with newest version the next day. They’ll know what chip is in it only if they’ve been told or they work for a company that makes it or they’re some cellphone geek.

Sorry for the slow day OT. My fire department has been buying pierce fire engines for years. We’re a relatively large contract for them. Fingers crossed that soon I’ll be driving EXCLUSIVELY electric vehicles.

This excites me.

Interesting... I was wondering if they went with electric pumping too, but it turns out it's a hybrid, with an ICE powering the pump and for drivetrain as well. Still a very cool step in the right direction.

TBH that really doesn't look like that much wastage. We have seen a LOT of stacked cast components. No way is that a 90% failure rate, unless there is an entire warehouse of shredded bits that are hidden from view. When we are talking about factories that can make a thousand cars a day or more, looking at those bins of scrap doesn't seem like a big deal.

Tesla are VERY good at deciding somethings a dead end and scrapping it. The fact that they have ordered multiple casting machines suggests they know what they are doing. If they only had one, I'd be worried.
OMG! Somebody go fly a drone over a new Ford or GM factory being built with new technology and tell me how much scrap - oh, wait...

But as I’ve said before, it’s NORMAL to have high scrap yield when setting up new equipment like press lines and mold machines, and you’re trialing new design tool sets. NORMAL. Add new technologies in complex equipment and high scrap yield is expected and - wait for it -

NORMAL. 🙄🙄🙄🙄

A Cyberwrangler (would obviously need a different name) made for off-road dominance would be a great product, and a Cybervan (not minivan)

I think I would prefer a Cyber Y to the CT. Easier in the city, indestructible, last forever, tow 4-5k lbs, 300ish miles of range. Anything that would not fit just rack on the top and not care. Luckily they are making both in the same plant, perhaps they will make a baby.

I've been advocating for this since the start. Makes so much sense from a solar canopy charging and torque perspective. Started a thread on it a while back.

Tesla Replacement For The Wrangler

Also at the beginning stages of a Wrangel TJ EV conversion build. Just need someone to really wreck a Model S, but only the front-end, windshield and roof. Tough combo for such a stable vehicle!

Ground Up Wrangler TJ EV

OMG! Somebody go fly a drone over a new Ford or GM factory being built with new technology and tell me how much scrap - oh, wait...

But as I’ve said before, it’s NORMAL to have high scrap yield when setting up new equipment like press lines and mold machines, and you’re trialing new design tool sets. NORMAL. Add new technologies in complex equipment and high scrap yield is expected and - wait for it -

NORMAL. 🙄🙄🙄🙄
NO! This is Tesla! As we all know Tesla is famous for achieving all things at the first try!
Just look at HW3 - nailed FSD-needs the first time!
Or Software V9! Instant the best experience!

Failing to tune in complicated new machines on the first try is a clear sign that this is essentially a busted growth story.
I mean. You just look at the facts! VWs interface is a exactly what consumer want! A bit slower, as boomers are. Not fast, zappy and faulty like Tesla!
Basically there is no market for such overachievers. This growth story is busted!

/s
;)

Some talk going on regarding the potential 'one more thing' during the event. There is definitely above 0% chance for a one more thing but nothing that would cause Osborne or otherwise take attention away from the lead role actor of the day.

Now the thing that would not Osborne anything and would also serve a huge supplementary role for the Plaid S (and vice versa) would be the wide release and demonstration of FSD Beta, plus announcing the release of FSD subscription.

What better way to showcase the potential for both products than by letting people play games with the new Model S superior gaming system while the car drives on the track by itself? Imagine the YouTube viral effect when everyone can see videos with their own eyes of people playing games in a moving car using both the front and backseat screens.

HODL.

If they are identical except for the colour I prefer black. A stealth sleeper car is what my Plaid will be. :cool:
The paint on the red performance brakes is glossy and cleans-up easily, the black callipers are matt, stay dirty and ugly, it's a backward move IMO

Last edited:
Current pickup offerings in Europe don't have lockable storage and relative to vans/CUVs they use a lot of fuel.

A Tesla pickup for Europe would have neither drawback.

Americans did not buy 5 door sedans in any significant number before 2012. Now Model S dominates sedan sales in its price class.
It's still unwieldy large for European roads and parking lots.

The Model Y will be a hit in Europe. The Cybertruck not so much.

I mean, I want one, but it won't fit in my garage and I don't have a need for it.

I was really impressed to see Ford with the second best performance in the test in Norway. Very impressive for a first effort. The charging product they announced for the truck, very innovative and actually the first time someone has done something better than Tesla. People have been screaming for it and Ford delivered. Interesting.

I'm all for the legacy makers succeeding at making more compelling EV's but it's important to keep things in context:

The test in Norway wasn't a performance test, it was a range test. Which basically comes down to battery size multiplied by efficiency (under tested conditions). And the Mach-e has a ~100 kWh battery (nerfed down to around 88 kWh useable) and the test conditions were very slow speeds. I would prefer range tests to be done on Interstates because that is where over 90% of people owning 300 mile EV's need the range. It was a good showing but not too impressive considering the huge battery for such a small car and the slow test speeds.

All the winter range tests I've seen are useless to me because they all have the same glaring fault. They set the automatic climate control to the same temperature and assume each manufacturer's "70 degrees" is the same as the next manufacturer's "70 degrees". This matters a lot because the climate control can easily consume 25% of the winter range and it's very difficult to normalize cabin temperatures and passenger comfort between different models because there are so many factors that go into this besides the actual temperature of the air coming out of the vents and where it is measured (fan speed has a lot to do with it). It also has a lot to do with humidity the test was performed at due to the impact of heat pump efficiency and defrosting needs at different humidity levels. These variables will make quite a difference from car to car.

It would be most accurate to do the winter range test with the cabin's climate control off to simply measure the cold weather performance of the vehicles drivetrain and then do separate tests to measure the cabin's climate control efficiency under various conditions.