Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Tesla has job listings in several cities for people to test autopilot.

“We are looking for a highly motivated individual to accelerate our vehicle-level testing for all current and future Autopilot features on the path to full self-driving. The ADAS Test Operator will be responsible to identify improvements and regressions across software iterations. A strong candidate will be objectively focused when making judgments, highly organized with a great attention to detail, and a self-starter.”
Jokes on them. I'd do it for free.

Nice shots!

Anyone know what the purpose is of that paved ski hill area surrounded by red baby gates on 3 sides ?

It's right behind where they have the stage set up; shown at 3:33 in the video.
It's part of the test track and is an incline hill to test how the car handles carrying degrees of incline attack. I've driven up and down that thing many times when we tested jerk for TACC back in the day.

I agree with you assumption that they might (30% chance) drive something new onto the stage. I just highly doubt that it will be the the roadster, as that will take away the spotlight from the MS Plaid. Plus the Cybertruck long overdo for a reveal, with production imminent...
They might drive a semi on stage ;). Or have something in the trailer...

Reactions: gabeincal
Interesting. Tesla has job listings in several cities for people to test autopilot.

“We are looking for a highly motivated individual to accelerate our vehicle-level testing for all current and future Autopilot features on the path to full self-driving. The ADAS Test Operator will be responsible to identify improvements and regressions across software iterations. A strong candidate will be objectively focused when making judgments, highly organized with a great attention to detail, and a self-starter.”
This is very interesting, since they already have all of us doing it for free.
I am wondering (purely speculation) if this will turn out to be early testing for robotaxis.

Also in Barcelona, Paris: Tesla is now looking to hire self-driving car test drivers around the world - Electrek
No opening in Germany though :rolleyes:...

Screenshot_20210610-074344.png
Yeah, I'm excited! Only thing I left out was the dynamic wing, but maybe that is a given at this point. Who knows!

Are you referring to measuring body flex / torsional rigidity at different angles of approach and departure on the hill ?
Yes, it's part of NVH as the car makes noise when it flexes. Body parts move differently and attack angles can be seen as the suspension is loaded and unloaded.

This is very interesting, since they already have all of us doing it for free.
I am wondering (purely speculation) if this will turn out to be early testing for robotaxis.

They probably need people to do more rigorous bug reporting in a standardized way, plus they may be testing versions that aren't ready for customers to beta test yet. And they may be verifying that bugs have been fixed by retracing a particular route or other steps that reproduce the particular bug that the team thinks they fixed.

Last edited:
Nice shots!

Anyone know what the purpose is of that paved ski hill area surrounded by red baby gates on 3 sides ?

It's right behind where they have the stage set up; shown at 3:33 in the video.
I think this was asked a few days ago, not sure if it got a response. I would speculate it's part of the regular facility and is for a hill hold/brake test, or possibly some other sensor verification such as washer fluid level, or for calibrating inclination.

I don't think it is for "jet blast", a jump, or anything related to this event.

As fun as it is to speculate, I fully expect this to be a non-event where the Plaid features we all know about are re-iterated, some specifications are re-stated and cars are delivered. I just don't see them releasing any shocking new info/models or updates. The Plaid was hard to build, it's here now, it's great, curtain falls.

i don't think Tesla has a problem with upstaging the main subject of a presentation. The Semi reveal was upstaged by the "one more thing" Roadster reveal. Battery Day was upstaged by the "one more thing" Plaid reveal.
The Roadster wouldn't take sales from the Semi and the Plaid wouldn't take sales from the battery.

I'm definitely thinking X and S. Rooflines match up well.

EDIT: Updated with slightly better perspective.

View attachment 671649
It would be great if this turned out to be a Plaid event, and not just an S Plaid event.

What are the chances that range will be significantly higher? I have a CT and Roadster on order because I wanted the 500 mile range. The 280 mile range on my 2019 X adds too much time to our road trips. I'd get a new X in a heartbeat if range was bumped to the mid 400s.