Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what happens. Elon busy guy. Fly in at last minute. Fight traffic to event. Show up a bit late looking disheveled and confused - because you are disheveled and confused - take a few moments on stage to find your mark, cue cards etc... then begin.

Read the teleprompter slide, nod to yourself that you recall those talking points and remember how freaking awesome the tech is, interact with the audience, laugh when they want a feature you think is dumb, then shrug and concede to their whimsy, search for the next teleprompter slide because your mind is momentarily lost still wondering why the masses want such a dumb feature, regain your place, rinse and repeat, rush off to say a few words to the media, fight traffic back to the airport, take off to your next destination. Elon busy guy.

Man, how I love this company and its peeps.

And that motor - what a work of art. The whole car is a masterpiece. Did you see the cupholders!?

His jet left shortly after to return to SpaceX too. I feel ashamed that I'm not working nearly as hard.

One of my most favorite things about my Model 3 is the sound system. Tesla nailed that. There’s nothing better than putting the car on AP and flying down the highway with the sound cranked and rocking the maple syrup out. I might have on occasion sat in the car in my garage doing that as well.

With the new ‘quiet’ glass and newly engineered 22 speaker sound system in the Plaid, like OMG! I might have to buy one just to put in my living room on the mountain and call it a day on my entertainment system. Hot fudge sundaes all day long!!

How many KWH is the Plaid S battery pack? Are we expecting the same for the Plaid X?

28 kWh / 100 miles * 405 miles = about 113 kWh

But currently it's advertised as 390 miles, so still around 110 kWh?

Below is some leaked picture of a Plaid test car? I don't know if it's legit.
Screenshot_20210611-074801_Chrome.jpg

Edit: See post a few below me. Apparently the EPA ratings include charging losses, so the pack is less than 110 kWh, most likely around the same 100 kWh?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
My understanding is that the roomier back seats were due to reducing the front dash protrusion, allowing them to move the front seats forward, along with an interior trim redesign that took up less space.

So while it is indeed an impressive number, it's a refinement of the existing already-impressive Cd for the same (or similar) exterior dimensions.
That solves my question about how come the frunk is not larger.
(seriously, the storage areas are not maximized. They make them too cute, and not engineered to provide the most storage, or best storage.)

Sandy's not so impressed with the hoses in the Mach E (or any other vehicle for that matter). Lots of components increasing costs and areas for mistakes in assembly. These connectors are prone to leaks. Octovalve solves this.

No idea what the unit that says "scrap if dropped" does. LOL.

View attachment 672176
This will not last five years in the real world. No way. It looks worse than most ICE engine bays. This is what an EV would if it was connected to a ton of life support gear.

Last year 90% of my miles driven were trip miles, so 75-80% were SC miles. This year might be slightly less as a percentage, but still the vast majority. In two cases last year there were SC outages (in one the entire town lost electricity so gas cars were in the same fix). Because there are large distances between the SCs (up to 200 miles), skipping is not an option. The idea that no one needs more range than X is fine for areas where SCs are close together (50 miles or less), it's not so fine where SC locations are far apart. And you are still mostly restricted to traveling on Interstates unless you want to go out of your way.
In certain place, you’re absolutely correct. Be patient. 25,000 Superchargers already. Expansion continues. Third party charger expansion continues.

There are still places in the world where gas stations are placed far apart such that skipping one isn’t an option and there’s a real risk of running out of fuel if you’re not careful.

Patience.

Example:

Im going on a drive to Mt. Lassen, California, and there aren't any superchargers there. But I want to drive there, walk around, and then drive to charge.

Nav will tell me I will arrive at Mt. Lassen with 30% charge, but I don't have any method of checking how much it will take to get from Mt. Lassen to a Supercharger.

Also Mt. Lassen has really bad cell reception, so if I want to stop off at multiple places in the park, it would be nice to queue them up in nav before I get there.

With waypoints I could plan out the whole trip and have a high degree of confidence where my state of charge would be when I get to a supercharger after my adventure. Right now its just head math, which frankly has never failed me, but would still be nice to have.
How did we ever get along without nav and waypoints in our gas vehicles all these many decades. 😳

In other news, Electrek revealed Porsche's numbers on new Taycan Cross Tourismo:
  • Taycan 4 Cross Turismo: 215 miles
  • Taycan 4S Cross Turismo: 215 miles
  • Taycan Turbo Cross Turismo: 204 miles
  • Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo: 202 miles
Tesla is definitely in trouble now....
EPAmiles, lol. On Edmunds' range test Taycan exceeds EPA by 59%, all seven Teslas they tested came in below EPA by 2-17% (Taycan beat Model S Performance outright). Side-by-side tests all show similar results.

This is what happens. Elon busy guy. Fly in at last minute. Fight traffic to event. Show up a bit late looking disheveled and confused - because you are disheveled and confused - take a few moments on stage to find your mark, cue cards etc... then begin.

Read the teleprompter slide, nod to yourself that you recall those talking points and remember how freaking awesome the tech is, interact with the audience, laugh when they want a feature you think is dumb, then shrug and concede to their whimsy, search for the next teleprompter slide because your mind is momentarily lost still wondering why the masses want such a dumb feature, regain your place, rinse and repeat, rush off to say a few words to the media, fight traffic back to the airport, take off to your next destination. Elon busy guy.

Man, how I love this company and its peeps.

And that motor - what a work of art. The whole car is a masterpiece. Did you see the cupholders!?
While I agree, and am actually in the group that loves his presentations and style, is it asking too much to have someone hand Elon an envelope/iPad with the slides from the presentation while he’s boarding the plane with instructions to review the slides and formulate what he’s going to talk about on each one while he’s on the way to the event?

Also, as someone else stated earlier, it would help if the sound and camera guys had a rehearsal or two with an Elon stand-in because there’s really no excuse for their part to not be flawless.

Loved the meat of the presentation and wish I wasn’t such a cheap bastard cause I’d love to replace my Model 3 with the Plaid and have that as my alternate vehicle next to my Trimotor Cybertruck. Oh well, it’s being such a cheap bastard that allowed me to accumulate as many shares as I have and the freedom to quit work any time I please, and that freedom is priceless.

One speculation is that the Plaid motors are more efficient than are those of the base. We haven't yet had an explanation of why the TEST one showed 405 miles.
Is it possible that this may be the first time that Tesla may be understating range? The combination of new motors, heat pump redesign, that CD of epochal efficiency might make real world efficiency be slightly better than traditional EPA underachievement may suggest. It really seems that real world efficiency has had a large scale improvement.

Of course I know I am often too optimistic.:cool:
Considering that Model 3 LR saw a jump in range (310 to 325) just via a software update, there’s as good a chance as any that down the road as Tesla continues to tweak motor efficiency via software that the range gets increased a bit.

So much new tech in this car, you know its not ‘finished’.

Also would like if we could let system know we desire more frequent charges after we get low so that we charge faster because we have lower SOC. You know the dont try and skip chargers if faster to stop more often.
This x 3000

So many road trips where this feature would be useful. Instead I have to touch the button to display chargers, touch on the charging location in the gap, then restart my trip nav when I stop to charge.

Absolutely first-world problem, but something relatively simple to program in the route planner and I'm surprised it hasn't been done already.