Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
correct me if I’m wrong - in my opinion there is only Rimac and Tesla doing performance EV tech - Everything on the marked below 3,5s 0-60 is either Rimac or Tesla or is there anyone else?

Kia/Hyandai seem to do 3,5s cars now with the Ioniq5/ev6 as well - but no „flagship performance“ stuff there
You are incorrect. Porsche (and with it other brands in the VW group) has sub-2.5s cars on the road right now.

But it's not just them. The GM Hummer EV and the Rivian trucks also claim 0-60 in the 3s range. And of course Lucid.

Even funnier...the test 69-420 vhecile was actually a crash test vehicle... 😜 😜 😜

1623425936597.png

Yes, Tesla events are a bit, how should I say it, goofy. I have a feeling Elon is incapable of inciting in other people the same passion he feels for his products through words alone. But, would I take them over other manufacturers' event? Yes x1000. They feel real to me. Watching GM, Ford, and Lucid, I felt like I was sitting through a timeshare convention. I wouldn't mind a better production from Tesla that's for sure.

Last edited:
I agree, except this isn’t a towing vehicle. It’s first and foremost a performance car that just happens to also be able to carry 5 gamer adults in Scandinavian comfort, while keeping them safe. It can also be used as a touring car with a less lead foot and get excellent range that suits for much of the planet when paired with the ever improving Supercharger Network that Elon also said is going to keep getting better. This car gets 187 miles of charge in 15 minutes. I will not be purchasing one based on the fact that that does not give me enough time to freshen up. And what you’ve failed to mention is the 30/35% improvement they’ve made in cold weather range.

Cybertruck and semi will need the additional range.
Yes: I did indeed remember too late that the cold weather improvement claim also deserves a slot in Audie’s “plus” side. Your “interior” comments detail the “check” mark I gave. The “towing” comment…well, that encompasses both overall range as well as cold weather, mountainous range and so forth so, for me, no. “Around” 400 mile range still is significantly inferior to an average ICE vehicle of comparable size in terms of usefulness. During the pandemic hellathon, we were able to test the away-from-Interstate/Urban megalopolises corridors by exposing Gus to many parts of the western and Intermountain western states and National Parks in our P100D Model X…and the need to go way out of our ways to Supercharge - in 2020! - badly diminished the experience.

The SpC Network‘s buildout is, indeed, commendable in urban lower-48 but as another Early Adopter, you know as well as I that the initial goal for Tesla was to have this network enable REAL long-distance driving. That means the good parts of the continent…not the commuting corridors. I am very much aware that Tesla changed focus and I do fault them for that decision. And yes, since 2013 I have held up Alaska as the shibboleth by which Tesla either is or is not failing at its promise. Nine years of failing to deliver that makes this acceleration/speed focus as demonstrated last night bitter, indeed. I’m still pretty good at higher mathematics and I figure that I’m nine years older now than I was then. That hurts.

• Informative
Reactions: capster and bpjod
While I agree, and am actually in the group that loves his presentations and style, is it asking too much to have someone hand Elon an envelope/iPad with the slides from the presentation while he’s boarding the plane with instructions to review the slides and formulate what he’s going to talk about on each one while he’s on the way to the event?

Also, as someone else stated earlier, it would help if the sound and camera guys had a rehearsal or two with an Elon stand-in because there’s really no excuse for their part to not be flawless.

Loved the meat of the presentation and wish I wasn’t such a cheap bastard cause I’d love to replace my Model 3 with the Plaid and have that as my alternate vehicle next to my Trimotor Cybertruck. Oh well, it’s being such a cheap bastard that allowed me to accumulate as many shares as I have and the freedom to quit work any time I please, and that freedom is priceless.
How do you know someone didn’t hand him that? Given how he reacts once he reads the slides, having that moment of memory refresh that he does, I’m just going to say that his brain is full all the time and racing at plaid speed all the time. There’s no room nor a quiet place to memorize a presentation like this.

I suspect the tech guys that put these events together fly by the seat of their pants just as Elon and everyone else at Tesla. The whole company is a moving target, it’s what makes them great and fallible all at the same time. A segment of the population can’t work or live in that manner. They don’t work at Tesla.

Incoming Zen; I discovered a long time ago that if I could understand a person’s motives and the why’s of their choices and decisions then I could more readily accept them for who they are and be significantly less affected; frustrated, angry, disappointed.

For instance I can totally understand your frugality as motivation for achieving a lifestyle that includes early retirement, thus forgiving the fact you’re not adding to Tesla’s bottom line - mostly. 😉

EPAmiles, lol. On Edmunds' range test Taycan exceeds EPA by 59%, all seven Teslas they tested came in below EPA by 2-17% (Taycan beat Model S Performance outright). Side-by-side tests all show similar results.
That was simply a poorly designed test. Want a well designed test then look at the very recent Norwegian test. Simply put they lined up all the EVs in the test and took them on a pre-planned route going various speeds across various terrains and drove them from fully charged until they simply died and had to be be towed or mobile charged.

While I agree, and am actually in the group that loves his presentations and style, is it asking too much to have someone hand Elon an envelope/iPad with the slides from the presentation while he’s boarding the plane with instructions to review the slides and formulate what he’s going to talk about on each one while he’s on the way to the event?

Also, as someone else stated earlier, it would help if the sound and camera guys had a rehearsal or two with an Elon stand-in because there’s really no excuse for their part to not be flawless.

Loved the meat of the presentation and wish I wasn’t such a cheap bastard cause I’d love to replace my Model 3 with the Plaid and have that as my alternate vehicle next to my Trimotor Cybertruck. Oh well, it’s being such a cheap bastard that allowed me to accumulate as many shares as I have and the freedom to quit work any time I please, and that freedom is priceless.
Did anyone notice how much better Elon delivered his lines on SNL? Yeah the lines written by writers and presented to him on a teleprompter. Sure he was in the writing room and making suggestions, but ultimately the writers took the sand paper to the lines to smooth them over.