Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I agree, and am actually in the group that loves his presentations and style, is it asking too much to have someone hand Elon an envelope/iPad with the slides from the presentation while he’s boarding the plane with instructions to review the slides and formulate what he’s going to talk about on each one while he’s on the way to the event?

Also, as someone else stated earlier, it would help if the sound and camera guys had a rehearsal or two with an Elon stand-in because there’s really no excuse for their part to not be flawless.

Loved the meat of the presentation and wish I wasn’t such a cheap bastard cause I’d love to replace my Model 3 with the Plaid and have that as my alternate vehicle next to my Trimotor Cybertruck. Oh well, it’s being such a cheap bastard that allowed me to accumulate as many shares as I have and the freedom to quit work any time I please, and that freedom is priceless.
You're assuming he's doing nothing on the plane. He's probably busy reviewing engineering drawings on an Ipad while on the plane.

i agree with you that the Model S's specs are insane, and that the Y turned out to be a great car. But these awful, unwatchable events need a major overhaul. as a shareholder, they are materially damaging.
Nah. I’ll take this any day over the corporate BS presentations from the legacy companies.

That solves my question about how come the frunk is not larger.
(seriously, the storage areas are not maximized. They make them too cute, and not engineered to provide the most storage, or best storage.)
I don't recall them moving the front firewall forward, just minimizing the protrusion of the dash assembly in to the cabin. So I believe the total contained frontal volume forward of the firewall is roughly the same.

I expect the smaller frunk areas may be more due to the front drive units, larger radiators (discussed as being capable of 2X heat rejection), etc...

I think getting a top notch PR firm/presentation would be money well spent for an event like this. Tesla remains the buzz through all generations. There is no harm nor shame in promoting and displaying the excellence that went into and manifests in the car. He is talking like an engineer, and from personal experience, no one wants to hear an engineer talk...
It is not how you speak. A message goes down well and gets a lot of traction, based on the credibility of the speaker and the content. Musk has a ton of credibility. He could stammer all he wants, and the media, interested public will hang to his every word.

eg.: "Physics is the law, everything else is a recommendation", will now be used by generations as a catchy phrase. His delivery was so poor on that, but there is no one now that could say that and catch the attention of the public like Musk.

EPAmiles, lol. On Edmunds' range test Taycan exceeds EPA by 59%, all seven Teslas they tested came in below EPA by 2-17% (Taycan beat Model S Performance outright). Side-by-side tests all show similar results.
EV insider just did a range test and found the opposite. Edmunds didn't test correctly.

My understanding has always been that below a certain speed, friction brakes use less energy than braking with the motor. What speed depends on the type of motor.
At some point there's indeed not enough rotational momentum to generate energy in excess of that needed to excite the field windings necessary to operate the motors in regen mode. Hence the point at which previous Teslas "freewheeled" at the tail end of regen.

Applying the friction brakes at that point is a nice touch.

I don't recall them moving the front firewall forward, just minimizing the protrusion of the dash assembly in to the cabin. So I believe the total contained frontal volume forward of the firewall is roughly the same.

I expect the smaller frunk areas may be more due to the front drive units, larger radiators (discussed as being capable of 2X heat rejection), etc...
yeah well..OK OK YOU are right.
(And I appreciate that...though I love sitting as far forward as possible. I remember driving some of the old vans and feeling like you were in front of the vehicle. BUT then those vans were very unsafe in a head-on collision. So you are probably right. Tesla puts an emphasis on safety.)

Reactions: bpjod and scaesare
In certain place, you’re absolutely correct. Be patient. 25,000 Superchargers already. Expansion continues. Third party charger expansion continues.

There are still places in the world where gas stations are placed far apart such that skipping one isn’t an option and there’s a real risk of running out of fuel if you’re not careful.

Patience.
I would be more patient if there were Supercharges planned but findus shows no SCs planned in the areas I travel most frequently, so any improvement is years away at best. Basically if you are traveling North<->South in the plains states, there are many gaps. East<->West is not so bad.

As a TSLA investor, I usually cringe during Elon’s product demonstrations. For all the reasons discussed at length in this forum.

But as an owner of multiple Tesla cars and an enthusiast of the company and Musk, I really enjoy seeing his quirkiness on display. It’s reflective of a very unique thinker and achiever.

This dueling perspective sometimes leaves me confused when the presentation is over, but when I reflect back I trust my car owner’s perspective, which is first hand, over my shareholder’s perspective which is trying to gauge how others are reacting.

Sancho, I tell myself, be more like Elon. If he watched someone else’s presentation he wouldn’t give a rat’s ass about how others might be reacting.

You're assuming he's doing nothing on the plane. He's probably busy reviewing engineering drawings on an Ipad while on the plane.
Nope. I know that’s what he’s doing because it’s far more interesting and engaging for him. I’m the same personality type. Trouble is they’re both important tasks. Just one is more urgent but less interesting and the other is less urgent but far more interesting. That’s why someone has to hand it to him at near the last second and tell him to do it.

EPAmiles, lol. On Edmunds' range test Taycan exceeds EPA by 59%, all seven Teslas they tested came in below EPA by 2-17% (Taycan beat Model S Performance outright). Side-by-side tests all show similar results.
Edmonds used limp mode in the Taycan. Tesla doesn't have a limp mode. Not apples to apples.

How many KWH is the Plaid S battery pack? Are we expecting the same for the Plaid X?
Tesla Raj saying on his recap video that the new UX is S/X only, per engineers present at the event.

Another interesting tidbit was that Franz declined to answer whether the batteries were 18650s...

At what point are the customers going to be told what it is they're buying? This is getting ridiculous. Are they really that embarrassed to admit the car was 18650s?

Nah. I’ll take this any day over the corporate BS presentations from the legacy companies.

That's a false dichotomy. There is no reason Tesla can't put out substantive, informative presentations that feature a host who has at least glanced at the slides prior to jumping on stage. He doesn't have to be Steve Ballmer, but i'd at least like to see him get out of "boom goes the dynamite" territory.

I'm not convinced that Plaid has the "old" 18650s. The 2021 Owners' Manual lists maximum pack voltage as 450v. I think this pack uses more than the previous 4.2V cells @ 96S (more cells with higher peak voltage, ie: 98S @ 4.6V)
It uses 2170's identical to current production 3 and Y. That's official, I don't have the link at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla Owners UK have posted a ton of good stuff from the owners’ manual. Also

This was the one slide we couldn't see from the official event stream

E3kpAwtXEAM266Y

Quite a few such applications are for the entire vehicle. However, doing active noise cancellation really well takes gobs of wattage if applied in an open environment. They've made massive advances during recent years so are far more efficient but still use lots of power. Tesla having chosen to put speakers into the headrests probably saved substantial power for the audio system, exotic as it seems to be, by putting both ANC and sound as close as possible to the listeners ears. Frankly this is one of the things I anticipate most eagerly.
The way I read the manual those are microphones in the seats, not speakers...

Does 25,000 refer to the number of Supercharger stations (locations) or individual Supercharger units?
Has to be individual charging units. Supercharge.info show 2781 locations in the world/1068 locations in North America. (plus a few in construction or permitting).