Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never worried about how far the gas station was from a national park
I have. I’ve driven plenty of places over the years where I had to be cognizant of the location of the ‘last’ gas station. So much so, back in the day I carried an extra 5 gallons of gas in my vehicle.

Nothing is perfect. There’s always outliers. It only matters that the majority are served. The outliers choose to be outliers and thus must deal with the consequences.

Will this saga ever end.
Much of this may be related to building the factory in the former East Germany rather than West. My cousin in Bavaria refers to former East Germans derogatorily as Ossis. He refuses to communicate with another cousin who is an Ossi.

No, he actually WAS the #1 highest rated analyst on tipranks, there is nothing cherry-picking about that, simple fact.
The SolarCity -> Tesla coverage has ruined his performance directly and now he is a bottom-ranked purely due to this one stock that has skyrocketed in the last year when he predicted it to go down. This is simply the way tipranks scoring works. He is full of BS and cannot value Tesla properly due to his emotional approach (he hates Tesla for messing up his SolarCity prediction).
However, saying that it is "cherry picking" to look at his performance without Tesla, when in fact that was a historical fact -- NOT a cherry-picked bad performer from his portfolio -- is just as emotional from your part (you hate him for being the enemy who spreads FUD about Tesla on CNBC).

PS: to further clarify: the factual timeline of him being highest rank, then starting to cover Tesla, then Tesla rising ~20x which in turn pushed his rating to the bottom makes it completely legitimate question of what would be his rating without starting the Tesla coverage. And the answer to that legit question is, he would be in top-300 still.
One that is giving advice needs to see their bias and look at reality. Because he lets his hate shine through all his advise is tainted.

Yes under conditions. If you have load with 6 people and a few hundred lbs in trunk and frunk, and pulling a trailer. It may not do as speced.

Based on some comments here, on Youtube, and Twitter......I don't think people realize that every 0-60 time from every car manufacturer is with only the driver in the seat. That's how it's always been.

Here is my lunchbox from when I was a kid back in the 60's. I liked Plaid even back then (or maybe my Mom did).

plaid lunchbox.jpg

Batteries are the limiting factor, charging stations are not. Expanding the charging network helps further the mission more quickly by enabling Tesla to maximize the number of cars it can produce with a limited amount of batteries. At some point charging stations will become as abundant as gas stations, if not more. If one takes that view, aren't bigger batteries just a band aid?

Are you serious? Modern games like cyberpunk are in the tens of gigabytes. How much storage do you think waypoints add per temporary waypoint? 12 bytes per point? 32 bytes max? No way is it any possible technical limitation. The plaid could literally store 10 million waypoints.
TBH the lack of waypoints has always been totally stupid. Its like the idea of traveling sales reps with high end cars who would appreciate autopilot is just some sort of blind spot fore the design team.
Its not exactly difficult to code either.

I think it's probably not a memory limitation, per say, but the number of resources required to add multi-waypoint routing are significant. The issue is not storing the waypoint but calculating longer, more complex routes. The adding of waypoints and more complex route possibilities, increases the computation complexity more than might meet the eye. It's a pretty steep curve and the required programming is not trivial if they want to maintain the same level of effectiveness. Maybe you thought "adding waypoints" just meant the ability to save waypoints, it already does that automatically.

I have. I’ve driven plenty of places over the years where I had to be cognizant of the location of the ‘last’ gas station. So much so, back in the day I carried an extra 5 gallons of gas in my vehicle.

Nothing is perfect. There’s always outliers. It only matters that the majority are served. The outliers choose to be outliers and thus must deal with the consequences.

I'm visiting Yosemite now and there's a 'No Gas stations in park' sign before entering, but at the hotels there are multiple electrical chargers to choose from. Range anxiety reversed.

Despite the anguish and trepidation expressed by investors here last night regarding the manner in which the Plaid presentation was produced, TSLA shares have moved into the green. :cool:

I don't expect us to finish green because there's not a strong magnet to pull us to 610. Hope to be wrong, but in any case - all the care bears can go back to hibernating in their caves.

What shocks me more than 'sell the news' not happen is the amount of whine within the Tesla community.

The BEST car ever made is still not good enough. What?!?

If only I could have shorted

TCRY (Tesla Crybabies Tantrum over 4680 Cells & Range Inc)

I'm long

TWAY (Tesla Waypoints Inc)

Tesla is going to build me a Plaid X, and the shorts are gonna pay for it.

How about an Act of Contrition and three Our Father's?
My grandfather is Jewish so I can throw in Selichot.
Yours is a cruel and unusual punishment.
(Do I get any time off for the single engine model Y I have a $2.5K deposit on for the last 2 years?)
I am cruel and unusual and the punishment must fit the crime. Lastly, you must be made an example.

In conclusion, no. And if you try and wiggle out again, your probation will be extended.

• Funny
Reactions: Duffer and kanweg
Headroom is an inherent challenge with a skateboard battery in comparison to a vehicle without the battery under the floor. This is why Tesla has gone so far with glass roofs, imho.

The roofline would have to be raised or the floor lowered to get the headroom. Perhaps the new battery pack is not as tall as the previous generation?

I’m skeptical that interior trim changes would suffice because Tesla would presumably have made any such changes earlier on such an important dimension as headroom.
I'd have to go back and doublecheck, but I thought I heard that the shortened dash allowed the repositioning of the seats and that they could be reclined slightly, allowing for less headroom restriction.

I'd have to go back and doublecheck, bit I thought I heard that the shortened dash allowed the repositioning of the seats and that they could be reclined slightly, allowing for less headroom restriction.
That's what I remember hearing as well. I distinctively remember them saying they moved the seats forward and then reclined the back seats a bit

I think it's probably not a memory limitation, per say, but the number of resources required to add multi-waypoint routing are significant. The issue is not storing the waypoint but calculating longer, more complex routes. The adding of waypoints and more complex route possibilities, increases the computation complexity more than might meet the eye. It's a pretty steep curve and the required programming is not trivial if they want to maintain the same level of effectiveness. Maybe you thought "adding waypoints" just meant the ability to save waypoints, it already does that automatically.
As long as the waypoints are ordered and not attempting a "best route to hit all waypoints in any order" type thing, the time to calculate should increase approximately linearly with the number of waypoints

Based on some comments here, on Youtube, and Twitter......I don't think people realize that every 0-60 time from every car manufacturer is with only the driver in the seat. That's how it's always been.
Some people don't understand, and some don't want to understand. I'm also suspecting that this 0-60 might require a prepped track. Even with AWD that's still a lot of traction required. That's not any different from other high end cars of course. We are just spoiled in our current Tesla's where traction isn't a limiting factor most of the time.

Can also carry gas cans if you're going out in the middle of nowhere. Hard to bring extra electricity in a similar volume. Need a massive fold out solar panel but then that probably too heavy. Maybe someday.
That was shown as an option on the Cybertruck during the reveal. Panel plus wings.

I think you're thinking of the traveling salesman problem where complexity explodes with more unordered points.Travelling salesman problem - Wikipedia
Waypoints are entered in the order desired, thus turning the trip into a series of point to point routes. Even if there were 5 options per leg and it computed all permutations of intermediate routes to calculate charging that is only 625 combinations for a 4 stop trip or 3,125 for 5 stops.
Even if it were more complex, they could offload the calculation to the servers in the event the local hardware was too slow (or do they do that already?)