Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please dont hype up ai day to be more than it is. Its been already stated that this is a recruitment event. Its just like neuralinks recruitment event. Its designed to ensure that if there are people out there who could help with FSD, that they choose tesla and not a rival company. Thats it,
I'll watch the whole thing, but my day job involves coding neural network style stuff, so i'll be interested. (Too old and inflexible geographically to apply though...) But I suspect 90% of people watching will not understand what is discussed.

This is NOT a product reveal. I suspect they will talk a lot about the FSD chip, and the supercomputer used to train the net it uses. Thats it.
Its not a 'snake charger product reveal' event...
Very much agree, my expectations for the event:
  • This is a recruiting event, lots of nerdy details on what they are doing and planning to do, nothing Wall Street can understand or appreciate.
  • They will reveal Dojo, but it’s not ready yet, will have progress updates in two weeks.
  • They have been working on HW4, new process but same capabilities as HW3, much cheaper to build though. Not ready yet, progress updates in two weeks.
  • UCLA helped to prototype a new snake charger, using FSD HW3 for vision and control. Not ready yet, release plan updates in two weeks.
  • FSD beta has some major architectural improvements coming, in two weeks.
  • These are all that would be announced in two weeks.

For Buttiegieg to say "I have not seen that tweet" had to be a total lie. It's a standard politician response. "I haven't seen the allegations" / "I haven't read the report" etc. etc.

He's Secretary of the U.S Department Of Transport. He has a bunch of people working for him. Elon's tweet, to 58,800,000 followers, was probably 5-6hrs old when Buttigieg was asked that question. Does Buttigieg really expect us to believe that he went into a TV interview about a Biden electric vehicle event and none of his team had made sure he knew about the tweet? That he had to be informed of it by Andrew Ross Sorkin on live TV? That he didn't already have a prepared response explaining why the world-famous, largest & leading manufacturer (by a wide margin) of electric vehicles - who happen to be American - was nowhere to be found during this event... not even by mention?

It's either gross incompetence of the caliber we got used to during the former administration, or deliberate.

Since the entire world knows about Tesla, it's one of the biggest brands these days... their complete absence from this event will just make it look silly and/or corrupt. Their application for Egg-On-Face has been submitted.
Best comment i saw on the interview with Buttigieg about Tesla's omission was "would've been super awkward to invite a wolf to a gathering of sheep"

I'm surprised by your post. Perhaps I am the most cynical poster here. I think I'm younger than the average age here. I've grown up seeing man-made global warming accelerate, despite knowledge of it and the causes, because of human greed. Politicians are whores and serve the highest bidder. Media is the same. But nearly every day I see the Shocked Pikachu meme in this thread. "Car and Driver must be embarrassed", "I can't believe the New York Times wrote that", "Wall Street still hasn't figured it out", and now you writing, "it's a gaffe for the administration".

No, these people aren't making mistakes. They're not all stupid. This is all intentional, because greed has more power over them than caring about the future of the Earth's environment and humanity's survival. We have the technology today to almost stop using fossil fuels. We don't have actual leadership to do the right thing in the political realm.

Part of the problem, part of why we as a species are in danger and still not moving anywhere quick enough, is that so many people keep believing that help is coming from the gov't or that the media tells the truth. The media has zero obligation to report the truth in the USA. That law was removed in the 1980s. The media exists to make money. Truth is irrelevant. The truth will be told if that furthers their money making agenda. There is no trust found in any major media outlet because there is no truth in any of them. Evidence of this has been shared repeatedly in this thread for years.

/rant

Now wish I had a few cookies, one for me and one for you.
You’re right of course. I had a moment of hopefulness as I kind of liked Pete from other times I’d heard him speak on various topics. I was wrongly giving the benefit of the doubt. I’m suitably miserable and hungry for my cookie 🍪 now. Thanks for making my day.

Craig Irwin (big time TSLA bear) getting airtime on CNBC at the moment. Came right after a discussion about today's White House event, with a mention of the absence of TSLA (with a further mention of TSLA not being a union shop). As Irwin is speaking TSLA is down about $1.75. As he always does, Irwin speaking negatively about Elon and TSLA.

On top of this big time capping since Noon. Someone definitely wanted to keep this from running much above $720 as Noon hit. Some large block sell orders (ranging from 2,000 to as much as 13,200 shares at a time) have been getting put and pulled every time TSLA tries to run. The very low volume, of course, is empowering the spoofers.

eye-balling the second chart on MaxPain it seems like $710 is the minimum, and $720 is a firm maximum for Friday. And with low volume for the last two days MM's will have it easy. No need to adjust their contract position, just jiggle the SP if it even bothers to try and move.

I would very much enjoy China July numbers coming out this afternoon or first thing in the morning with 40k+ deliveries/exports. Might make it a bit harder for MM’s to control the stock 😉

Even then, they’ll probably manage to hold it down m, but at least it would cost them

Reactions: lafrisbee
I think there is a silver lining in Tesla not being invited.
Since this is already starting to create some unwanted noise of unfair politics etc. (see the many previous posts and tweets)
This will make it much harder for them to disqualify Tesla from the EV credits that they are currently working on. (including the Charging station funds)
There is too much talk of political favoritism (read games) right now for them to pull another one, and only "incentivize" the big 3 while cutting out Tesla.

Best comment i saw on the interview with Buttigieg about Tesla's omission was "would've been super awkward to invite a wolf to a gathering of sheep"
Indeed. Tesla does not need this event, in fact is probably better off not being included, because the distinction is that much more obvious to everyone:

Tesla does not make EVs, at least as the term is understood by legacy auto and the general public. “EVs“ are a ghetto invented by legacy auto to ensure that their legacy products do not become obsolete. Tesla makes cars, that happen to be better, partly because they are electric.

The iPod wasn’t “an MP3 player”. It didn’t compete with the Rio (does anyone else even remember the Rio?). It competed with—and crushed—the Walkman and the Discman and the boom box and the home stereo and the radio airwaves.

I think there is a silver lining in Tesla not being invited.
Since this is already starting to create some unwanted noise of unfair politics etc. (see the many previous posts and tweets)
This will make it much harder for them to disqualify Tesla from the EV credits that they are currently working on. (including the Charging station funds)
There is too much talk of political favoritism (read games) right now for them to pull another one, and only "incentivize" the big 3 while cutting out Tesla.
I understand people’s fears about Tesla being left out of the EV tax credit due to union requirements, but there’s no chance it would hold up in court. Tesla along with each state that Tesla manufactures in, including Texas, would sue the government and would win. I seriously doubt Biden and Democrats would be that dumb to have their entire infrastructure plan be stalled or worst, have it voided by being unconstitutional and clear government bias. They’d have to redo the infrastructure reconciliation bill all over again and who knows if Democrats would even have the majority they’d need in the Senate by then.

Also let’s not forget the Mach E is made in Mexico. Ford wouldn’t be able to get the credit either

Last edited:
During the press secretary's briefing today, she was asked about Tesla not being invited to today's White House EV event. I've programmed this video to begin at the point.

Yahoo Finance - today:

Psaki:
5ip3lt.jpg

During the press secretary's briefing today, she was asked about Tesla not being invited to today's White House EV event. I've programmed this video to begin at the point.

Yahoo Finance - today:

And there you have it: "Today, it's the three largest employers of the United Auto Workers and the UAW president who will stand with President Biden as he announces his ambitious new target, but I would not expect this is the last time we talk about clean cars and the move toward electric vehicles and we look forward to having a range of partners in that effort."

Yahoo Finance - today:

The triumph of politics over policy.

On the other hand, Tesla is considered highly if not supreme in China.

Then I hear this administration want to beat China and lead in EVs.

Biden has always been an advocate of unions, and its in his policy statements. He feels that Unions built the middle class, and the decline of unions has hurt the middle class. So focusing the event around UAW shouldn' be a surprise.

If all non-union shops paid as well as union shops and had similar protections as union shops, this probably wouldn't be an issue. But despite the behavior of one or another individual companies, in general they don't. So supporting unions has become a cornerstone of Biden's efforts.

What I'd really like to see is a "buy American" flavor to the EV legislation... where vehicles assembled in the US get favorable treatment. I suspect the UAW would support that too. And it would successfully skew support to companies like Tesla rather than companies like Ford who build in Mexico.

The video clip proves it.

They're not idiots, it's just political. As others have stated unfortunately politics is political and if that's what they feel they need to do to continue to keep pushing EVs in four years, I'm game.

Pete B drives a Tesla. That admin is on the younger side. Everyone knows who the Godzilla in the room is. Let them talk the talk they need to but in the end all that matters is the wording on the bills and, thus far, it's looking like it'll be VERY good for Tesla.

Half the country [D and R] hate Musk and half the country still thinks Teslas are six figure luxury cars. I work social media for a giant automotive media company and see hundreds of comments a day. Most people think EVs are for "rich people on the coasts". We need to change that perspective and, frankly, Tesla not being there helps the cause.

CNN typically not very pro Tesla in their articles but this one is in my opinion.

Keep in mind that this will unleash a flurry of pro-Tesla support that is also going to be politically motivated (anti-union), rather than being about Tesla or climate change.

Checkmate?