Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There wasn't one horse breeder/horse food producer or horse shoe maker individually powerful enough to actually do anything to oppose cars taking over to the same level traditional auto has now.
There was huge pushback against cars by the status quo. The below list some of the stuff they tried to get rid of them:

If they had had access to today’s media, I am sure they would have engaged in the same tactics we are seeing now.

Fun thought. I am more excited to see how well NN learns and advances on it's own. With shadow mode on, what if Chuck and a Tesla meet up of 50 cars caravan and all go thru this specific problem route. Problem solved by the afternoon.

That's just not how the system works at all though- 0 learning happens on individual cars. "Shadow mode" is just "look for situation X and if you think you see it, send us data"

Green explains it pretty well here:

100% of the learning is done back at Tesla, on supercomputer resources, using the collective relevant data to train the various NNs... then the updated stuff is sent via a firmware update to the fleet in general (or whomever is designated to get a specific version of FW in some cases).

This is why it's running at least 2 weeks between BetaFSD builds, it takes that long to train the new NNs.... and Dojo is intended to significantly improve that in the future.

I keep asking myself if there was as much FUD when gazoline cars were introduced hundred years ago and if horse sellers paid articles in The Gazette about gaz cars blowing up when people started the engine.

There was a lot of skepticism, but nothing so heavily organized- pretty neat story from 1911 about this:

This forum is important toward its denizens maintaining some semblance of sanity.

I want to apologize, as I'm on a camping vacation and out of signal range a lot of the time.

So what, you say?

We all know how the content grows at an astounding rate and being without a connection my concern about catching up grew to dangerous levels. This morning after venturing out of the forest for a run to town, I was passing a fiber booster station, and, well. I unplugged it hoping it would temporarily stay the growth of new posts in my favorite forum.

So, it was just me that caused the internet to shut down. I feel kinda bad about acting out in desperation like that.

Can you forgive me?
Camping, you say?

• Love
Reactions: EVCollies

I read that it will cost LG, not GM. Some kind of warranty arrangement.

What it will cost GM is their future, assuming they had one.

Having trouble parsing that, so sorry.
A "series" of "fatal crashes" left a total of 1 person dead?
Must be because English is my second language, I guess? Or something to do with CNB?

I'm going to guess someone wrote that sentence before they had the numbers to fill in the blanks and then didn't bother to change it when the second number was 1.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
Anyone else get a little uncomfortable when Elon says they hit another local maximum and had to do another rewrite? That was essentially what he just said about vision vs radar. After already doing a previous rewrite for the still frame (non temporal) approach. Tesla's willingness to admit the local maximum and rewrite their code is seriously nimble for a company this big and that impresses the hell out of me. So I am conflicted....should I be worried or impressed? I'm kinda both right now....
That's the nature of AI development. Thankfully Tesla is taking an agile approach. I am not an expert in AI. I've worked in software dev for over 20 years in other areas. I don't think Level 5 Full Self Driving completion can be predicted. Tesla might hit another 20 of these local maximums or it might all rapidly come together after this one. No one can say because this hasn't been done before and AI is currently a very tough nut to crack.

Tesla's approach is the best out there and I'm confident they will be the first to achieve it but no idea when. The cybertruck will be my 3rd Tesla. It is the first one I'm considering buying FSD.

I read that it will cost LG, not GM. Some kind of warranty arrangement.

What it will cost GM is their future, assuming they had one.
LG is not going to pay for labor.

Bolt recall feels like no-lose for GM. The bigger deal they make out of it the better the chance for prolonging the ICE age.

Except when people notice that their neighbour has been driving a Tesla for 3 years, and nothing bad has happened...

I am more inclined to give Tesla credit for getting EV batteries mostly right, and making quick fixes via software downloads on the rare occasions when there was significant risk.

I don't think this is a moat, or a problem competitors can't solve..

For starters entry level EVs are going to migrate to LFP batteries and in the case of NMC/NCA companies like LG are going to learn from this experience and make sure they get it right. Car companies will step up their own testing efforts... Eventually other car companies will get OTA updates working...

On balance I still don't think other car companies are sandbagging their EV efforts and trying to do badly, even though it can seem like that at times.
Everyone has underestimated how hard it is to build good EVs, so if anything, Tesla deserves more credit...

I keep asking myself if there was as much FUD when gazoline cars were introduced hundred years ago and if horse sellers paid articles in The Gazette about gaz cars blowing up when people started the engine.

All theses battery fires headlines, all these self driving accident headlines, now the investigation on autopilot. Even if the security of Autopilot is better than a human driving, people keep hearing the opposite in mainstream media and will believe the opposite of what science and litterature shows.
We are really heading full speed ahead in an idiocracy.
Exactly. I am also thinking about fooling the autopilot system with weights on seats and steering wheels, glasses with eyes painted on them etc.. and then reporters trying to make a serious case of how the manufacturer is supposed to be responsible. I mean; where are we going with that? How ridiculous is this?

Anyone else get a little uncomfortable when Elon says they hit another local maximum and had to do another rewrite? That was essentially what he just said about vision vs radar. After already doing a previous rewrite for the still frame (non temporal) approach. Tesla's willingness to admit the local maximum and rewrite their code is seriously nimble for a company this big and that impresses the hell out of me. So I am conflicted....should I be worried or impressed? I'm kinda both right now....
With modern deep learning, 80-90% of engineering efforts goes to collecting/labeling/managing datasets.

Rewriting network architecture is not as big an adventure as it might sound, most likely training data would stay the same set.

This is different than say switching from Lidar to vision, in that case almost all data would become useless.

On balance I still don't think other car companies are sandbagging their EV efforts and trying to do badly, even though it can seem like that at times.
Everyone has underestimated how hard it is to build good EVs, so if anything, Tesla deserves more credit...

No one said legacy auto was trying to do badly.

Sandbagging follows incompetence. If they were competent, they wouldn't need to sandbag. If a company is incompetent at making EV's it basically means they can't do it profitably. And if you know you can't do it profitably you don't make a few million of them, you pretend like you know what you're doing and make sure you only make a few thousand at a time (while telling us many more are on the way, again and again). I don't think the end (their survival) justifies the means (their deception).

I call it sandbagging because they continue to act like they are about to release a whole slew of EV's, but they never do. And they knew they weren't going to. It's unethical deception. We have a capitalistic system in which the ones most capable of meeting the market needs are supposed to thrive and the incompetent ones die off. We need to rapidly pivot away from carbon to preserve the habitat that sustains us and makes our lives possible. They are subverting the system by lying and delaying. It would be better if they just died off and let those capable of meeting critical market needs take over. That's what will happen anyway but the lying and deception is subverting our system, making it less efficient at meeting market needs and threatening our species (all species). Delay of game is illegal in competitive sports, it should be a more serious offense when our lives depend upon not delaying.

The ICE industry is desperately trying to slow down EV's while simultaneously acting like they are pivoting to EV's tomorrow. In just one more year they will have a gazillion new EV models. For proof they are purposefully delaying, and to see how messed up they are, watch this Autoline Afterhours episode from two weeks ago. These dinosaurs actually had the nerve to call it "Stretching More Life Out of the ICE"!

They have a Bosch manager on there who has some interesting comments as he tries to convince people the transition to EV's will be a slow process (out of necessity). They know exactly what they are doing in terms of gaming the system, spreading misinformation and lobbying to keep ICE alive as long as possible. It's disgusting.

Why is it so unacceptable to some people to simply let the least efficient die off and the best lead the way? That's what makes capitalism good. Take that away and capitalism no longer works for humanity, it works against us. Don't make excuses for them. The fact that they are incompetent doesn't make them bad people but, if they can't cook they should get out of the kitchen. Instead, they keep telling us dinner will be served in one more hour. But it's already 3 hours past midnight! Meanwhile, there is an awesome chef in a small kitchen down the hall churning out delicious meals but word is the food has worms in it, causes indigestion, tastes terrible and it might even kill you. We need to get the FDA investigating their kitchen before more people die! If only the bad chefs in the big established kitchens had some government assistance they could make some really delicious food and feed everyone. It won't be cheap but it will look very nice and the consistency will be world class. It will happen within the (next) hour. Always one more hour.

People who can't see how our futures are being pulled out from under us in the name of narrow financial interests fail the easiest intelligence quiz ever made! It should be obvious to all but the most gullible.

Last edited: