Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I welcome the NTSHA investigation. I once had a client who had made a safety device. The governmental safety organization kept giving him flak over it because of shortcomings. The client resolved them all, ended up with a superior product that he sold all over the world and made a boat load of money.

Yeah, ultimately, if NHTSA makes Tesla show that autopilot will no longer hit vehicles parked partially in the lane, that seems like it will be a good thing. ‘Autopilot proven safer!’ But my impression is that a lot of these preliminary investigations are closed with no further action, so it’s not a given it will even get that far.

Reactions: capster
With modern deep learning, 80-90% of engineering efforts goes to collecting/labeling/managing datasets.

Rewriting network architecture is not as big an adventure as it might sound, most likely training data would stay the same set.

This is different than say switching from Lidar to vision, in that case almost all data would become useless.

Even if FSD completely accurately interprets the real world via the camera views, it doesn’t seem totally straightforward for a car to make a left turn across three lanes of traffic into yet another lane of traffic. So I thing there’s a problem of choosing the correct action for the car to take even after the deep learning bits are completed successfully.

Unless they’re also applying deep learning to what human drivers do at those intersections in order to select the correct action. Hmm.

this is pretty much what they're planning since a while if I understood correctly: merging the perception + control layer

Do you think that would fly? If a car on FSD causes an accident and NHTSA or NTSB or whoever asks “why did it move that way?“ and Tesla can only shrug and say “because the neural net told it to” I think that could be a problem. Without some ‘reasoning’ behind its actions it seems much harder to create trust.

But… they know better than me. I guess we’ll see.

Reactions: Itsame
Sorry, I don't trade short-term. It's not worth my time when the same money can be compounding long-term with great companies. It's two completely different things. When investing short-term you are working the odds. You win some and you lose some. I have a proven ability to make it pay but I only have one life to live and it takes a lot of time. Not only does it take a lot out of you but it's also about as fundamentally unproductive as it gets. I mentioned the short-term thing simply to point out that not all excellent investments go up immediately (and they don't have to for them to be excellent investments).

In other words, TSLA is valued highly enough that it's not a given the market will recognize additional value until the market becomes more educated about the many advantages Tesla has going forward. And that can take a long time and be difficult to predict when it will happen. People have a very poor understanding about who Tesla is and what makes them tick. It's pretty obvious the attacks are piling up right now and I do expect some sustained efforts to harm Tesla as their two factories ramp. I doubt it will be all that effective at harming Tesla (the company) but it could change public perception enough to keep the pressure on the stock for some time. Or the market could wake up tomorrow. It's one of those things where you won't know how it will play out until it's already happening. I don't need to worry about it as a long holder. I still have a plan to buy more if it goes down enough on more silliness because that changes the risk profile for me and allows me to hold more shares without concern.
@StealthP3D
I have a slightly differing view about the time line and suspect it will happen a lot sooner than you expect, for a few reasons
right now, you cannot invest in SpaceX, but you can invest in Tesla and within 1 month 2 spectacular events will occur
more folks will go "..who is this Elon Musk?..." some negative, more positive

1) the SpaceX flight of Inspiration 4, September 15th, less than 1 month is a civilian trip
"...low earth orbit on a multi-day journey that will continually eclipse more than 90% of the earth’s population. Named in recognition of the four-person crew.."

2) Starship Super-Heavy also in September (if successful)
"...Starship will perform a test flight to demonstrate orbital launch capability. After stage separation, Super Heavy Booster 4 will perform a boostback burn and splashdown 20 miles (32 km) off the Texas coast. Starship Ship 20 will reenter the atmosphere over the Pacific Ocean and splashdown 62 miles (100 km) northwest of Kauai...."

As a follow up to this, when Chuck tweeted that, he was talking specifically about a special case of his unprotected left turns, where the computer gets confused and ends up turning right instead of left. More FSD Beta 9.2 videos have come out from others that do have some successful unprotected left hand turns. Overall, there are some mistakes here and there, but I believe that Beta 9.2 is overall a good improvement over 9.1. Here are some FSD Beta videos from today:

Plenty of unprotected left hand turns in AIDRVR's video. All of them were handled without any significant issue:

I totally disagree. Public agencies should only do investigations when there is enough evidence to warrant the opening of a formal investigation. Not every complaint or "report" will automatically meet that threshold. This is a witch hunt.
You can bet your butt that the $TSLAQ psychopaths have been blanket reporting, emailing, texting, Twittering and calling these people - same as they were filing bogus safety reports for years

You can bet your butt that the $TSLAQ psychopaths have been blanket reporting, emailing, texting, Twittering and calling these people - same as they were filing bogus safety reports for years

This is my assumption as well. Until there are penalties for such behavior they have to intermittently acquiesce to the insanity and do an investigation.

Wildfires are being started with CATALYTIC converters. This is deadly serious. Why isn't the NHTSA going after these ICE catalytic converters that are deadly fire bombs? I gotta wonder who sets the priorities of these agencies. More is covered in the Off TOPIC GALORE but here is evidence of this; I believe Fire Chiefs know this. ICE companies seem to get away with this while fires and smoke are consuming parts of the world. Thanks to Elon for the BioHazard Defense mode.