Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a very Early Adopter, I can attest I’ve never gone SuperSonic, even with a Strawberry Shake at a Single Serving, whether Slowly Sipping through a Stainless Steel or just a Simple Straw.
tldr? Come on, people! Do NOT use abbreviations (those referred to aren’t even close to being acronyms, by the way) unless there is very, very good reason to. Which rarely is the case.

All the American startups have gone with small cylindrical cells. Tesla, Lucid, Rivian, Faraday, Canoo, even Lordstown. Traditional auto went with large prismatic cells.

If large-format cells become a safety problem, that's a big advantage for the startups over the traditional automakers. Great for my portfolio! Unfortunately it would also slow the mass adoption of EVs. We need traditional auto to make the EV switch successfully if we are to end the ICE age before 2040 and avoid catastrophic global warming.

So I'm going to make a radical proposal. Actually radical for a traditional company but not for Elon Musk. If traditional auto can't get their act together on battery packs, Tesla should open-source its patents on the battery assembly machines. Throw traditional auto a lifeline in order to keep the electrification of the auto industry on track.

I skimmed through it! Awesome work as always! Hope Singapore is treating you well, haven‘t been there since the circuit breaker, but if I was there I would take you out for a proper Swedish dinner at Zén! ;)

Anyway, I think your automotive numbers for 2022 and 2023 are a bit too conservative. And I think AMaaS will be a race to the bottom so I don’t think it will be quite as profitable as you model it. But anyway, good times ahead for us. Let’s hope Elon sees it!

Hahaha, thank you :) Singapore is great!

They are conservative on purpose, because they are used to make option trades, for which I always err on the side of caution.

Enhanced autopilot... smart summon...
No, Early Access (I capitalized the words and then used acronyms which is pretty standard affair). Enhanced autopilot is EAP

Talking about acronyms, Tesla is just a heavy acryonym kind of company. From this poster's sig

Dec. '16 MS 75(SW limited to 60kWh) AP2 HW w/FSD HW3 computer

MS= model S
SW= software
AP2= autopilot hardware 2.0
HW= hardware
FSD= Full self driving
HW3= Hardware 3.0 (also known as Full self driving computer)

As a very Early Adopter, I can attest I’ve never gone SuperSonic, even with a Strawberry Shake at a Single Serving, whether Slowly Sipping through a Stainless Steel or just a Simple Straw.
tldr? Come on, people! Do NOT use abbreviations (by the way: those referred to in the prior posts aren’t even close to being acronyms) unless there is very, very good reason to. Which rarely is the case.
Even Elon agrees that acronyms SS

Even Elon agrees that acronyms SS
If you use abbreviations you need to explain them first. Usually they are only useful if you're going to be using them several times. Example: I haven't received the Full Self Driving (FSD) button yet, but I'm looking forward to having FSD.

No, Early Access (I capitalized the words and then used acronyms which is pretty standard affair). Enhanced autopilot is EAP

Talking about acronyms, Tesla is just a heavy acryonym kind of company. From this poster's sig

MS= model S
SW= software
HW= hardware
FSD= Full self driving

Where's Elon's acronym about acronyms?
🥸

tldr? Come on, people! Do NOT use abbreviations (those referred to aren’t even close to being acronyms, by the way) unless there is very, very good reason to. Which rarely is the case.
OK 😬

Meanwhile, the first machines for cell production have been delivered - does anyone have an idea what they might be for?
EDIT: could be cooling machines:
View attachment 705455

These are almost certainly the building Chillers. These are basically big heavy machines that run on electricity to produce chilled water to provide cooling where required in the battery cell production process and building HVAC. They will be connected to cooling towers (currently stored nearby) at the roof level that reject heat to the atmosphere. There will be 5 chillers in this location as noted on the ground floor plans for the building shown below. Ammonia is a very environmental friendly choice of refrigerant for these chillers (possibly influenced by German regulation) as it has zero greenhouse warming and ozone depletion potential.

Berlin Chillers.jpg

A quick search finds me this:

Which seems to match his Tweeter bio:

View attachment 705344
This description clearly states “3rd largest shareholder of Tesla.”
So basically that implies that the other top spots for shareholder share count holdings belong to some really outstanding people here.
I wonder how long this guy has been investing in TSLA. 🧐

MS= model S
SW= software
HW= hardware
FSD= Full self driving

Except early access is actually called the early access program.

EAP. And commonly called that.

Same as enhanced autopilots EAP but entirely different things.

Likewise- PUP.

Could be Premium Upgrade Package which was included on LR cars when the Model 3 first launched, and Tesla still thought they'd be down a donwlevel interior with different physical parts (cloth seats and such).

But PUP could also be Performance Upgrade Package. Which was the original optional, now standard, upgrade pack on the Model 3 Performance that added the 20" wheels, larger brakes, etc.

So as bad as using a bunch of acronyms are to start with, it's made worse by having some that are duplicated with different meanings.

Headwinds affect the less-aerodynamic vehicle to a greater degree. A strong tailwind would be a relative benefit to the motorcycle vs the Plaid Model S. I still don't think it'd be enough to tip the scales. The two roll-races won by the bikes only resulted in those wins because of poor reaction time by the car driver. It was pretty clear the Plaid had motor on both those bikes, and never lagged due to shifting gears. Wait 'til Tesla uncorks the 200mph top speed. ;)
It was also the wind / headwind that once the front tire lifts (not uncommon when fully accelerating a Superbike) starts to move and tip the whole bike forcing extra diligence from the driver. Without that motion, without the wind, the driver could concentrate on extracting a tad more more power from the bike. The Plaid wins either way IMO...But, wow. If you would have asked me 20 years ago if I ever thought a 5-seater 4 door sedan would ever keep up with a Superbike, I would have said absolutely no way...not to mention beat it. Absolutely amazing accomplishment Tesla!

The German government is investing 1B euros into Tesla’s battery plant:

Does the cell factory for 5 billion euro investment include only the portion that has been outlined and under construction so far? Or should we look for the other 3 or 4 cell areas in future phases that would also be included in this number?

If it is just the area that has been outlined so far, wow, that's amazingly expensive equipment put in a tight package. It's probably a lot more money than the rest of the factory combined so far -- maybe 6x?

Here would be the breakout.

0.8 billion euros for the auto and drive train factories nearing completion
5.0 billion euros for the cell factory under construction

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
Except early access is actually called the early access program.

EAP. And commonly called that.

Same as enhanced autopilots EAP but entirely different things.

Likewise- PUP.

Could be Premium Upgrade Package which was included on LR cars when the Model 3 first launched, and Tesla still thought they'd be down a donwlevel interior with different physical parts (cloth seats and such).

But PUP could also be Performance Upgrade Package. Which was the original optional, now standard, upgrade pack on the Model 3 Performance that added the 20" wheels, larger brakes, etc.

So as bad as using a bunch of acronyms are to start with, it's made worse by having some that are duplicated with different meanings.
I believe many people on reddit started calling early access program EA , just early access due to the duplication.