Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turn the question around: Does anyone on this Thread think FSD 10.2 is ready to do handle the driving in their own home city. Meaning the chance of a driver intervention is near zero? My response for myself is "no".

Of course it's not ready yet. The fallacy is that he claims Elon thinks it is. If he thought FSD was ready to drive without supervision, we would all have it already!

Note that the Upper-BB is at 810.92 right now:

View attachment 720566

5.0M shares traded since the Opening bell. :D

Cheers!

f849cd0f-7077-4749-96d5-e16406457396_text.gif

Foxtron -> Foxconn , Foxconn is the company.

The same company that tore peoples houses down in Wisconsin and didnt build the factory they said they would

Back when this was proposed I told family members that knew senior officials at Foxconn to drop the stupid idea of making “LCDs” and go two routes: medical devices or batteries and motors platform for EVs. Who knew COVID was around the corner.

Only took 6 years to come to their senses.

They could never get unit cost low enough to justify the investment in WI. The ”skill” labor was not even close to their expectations. No kidding labor is way higher vs Asia. I would be interested to see their financial forecasts Or lack of. Definitely a dichotomy where boots on the ground was having a hard time seeing senior exec’s vision.

@The Accountant @Artful Dodger @Curt Renz @Papafox

I’m just going to fall right on my sword — I’ve been name dropping. I’ve been referring folks to TMC and specifically telling them to check you guys out.

I just drove from Southern California to New Orleans to Tuscaloosa Alabama and now I’m driving home. I’ve been telling folks about you guys all across America. I’m hoping forgiveness is easier than permission.

Oddly, I ran into a fellow Southern California TMC’er at a Supercharger in Meridian Mississippi. We maybe growing exponentially, but it’s still a small world. A shout to Mace; very cool plaid Model S.
Topping off the charge at the Hotel Indigo parking lot? There was a thread a while back in the supercharger section talking about the lack of options somewhat in Alabama. I usually stay there (son attends the university) on visits. Also...the charger at Tupelo MS kind of sucks. They need to bump the speed on that one bad.

Topping off the charge at the Hotel Indigo parking lot? There was a thread a while back in the supercharger section talking about the lack of options somewhat in Alabama. I usually stay there (son attends the university) on visits. Also...the charger at Tupelo MS kind of sucks. They need to bump the speed on that one bad.
Be careful of charging over at Tupelo, MS at night. The mall area is sketchy. I had to charge around 10-11pm one night, and some weird sketchy people came around and I was the only one in the tesla charger station. They asked for some $ to get some "gas" LOL, but super sketchy at night. Be safe!

Fun video on fleet learning applied to crash testing and crash test reaction improvements delivered OTA...

Calling it "fun" really under-values how significant this is. I do agree, it was enjoyable to watch but this is a great example of the kind of attention to detail that will drive the success of Tesla to extreme levels through this decade and probably well beyond. This is huge for Tesla's future and anyone who skipped over it might want to go back and watch it.

Contrast this to legacy makers who rely on advertising propaganda to drive sales and view safety as getting 5 stars while simultaneously lobbying the test agencies to keep the testing unrealistically simple so they don't have to do much of it. Tesla knows that that real world injury/survival data will ultimately win. They know when you are manufacturing cars by the millions it really pays to spend a little bit of money to reduce injury and death expenses by billions of dollars. Not only will this drive brand loyalty and new sales, but it will help with getting FSD accepted and is also why they will succeed wildly in the insurance business as long as they are able to avoid anti-trust concerns. Because insurance costs a lot less when you have the safest cars on the road by a country mile. And FSD is not as scary when the passenger cabin uses the best technology to protect the occupants.

Those of you familiar with my views on anti-trust may be surprised to see me raise potential anti-trust problems. However, this is an area that requires real strategy to avoid anti-trust attention. It is different from simply being such an efficient manufacturer that no one else can compete effectively because it crosses the boundaries between different industries. There is nothing anti-competitive about Tesla offering insurance but they will have to be careful how it is marketed and sold in order to avoid misguided anti-trust concerns. Of course any potential actions are likely many years down the road.

Last edited:
You know that'd work so much better if he wouldn't start every drive with the speed setting at +5 MPH over the speed limit.

He's doing 30 in a 25 and wonders why it can't handle it (and also doing 35 in a 30). Drives around for 30 minutes with multiple disengagements before he turns it down to +1 and is doing 26 in a 25 and it's working better.

To add to the fun every drive I ever see him do he starts at +5, apparently that's what he leaves it at between videos.

But he doesn't seem to get that running over the speed limit is not proper behavior for FSD Beta.

It's not that big of a deal if you don't take it to a poorly lit road, at 3am, with poorly marked lanes, and then try to go over the speed limit.

Have it set to +5 on your morning commute to work, the drive to lunch, and the commute home on the path you take every day? Fine.

Start up multiple cameras and take it to the hardest road you can find? You might want to turn it down to the speed limit instead.

Driving around, stopping, saying hmm, what part of town would be hard for FSD, and then driving there isn't the normal use case for FSD. If you are looking for trouble you can find it. I'm just saying if you are looking at the hard corner cases at least give the system a fighting chance and don't expect it to go 20% over the speed limit while tackling roads that give humans a challange.

The offset seems to be set +1 mph from the beginning?

lsZZF8X.png

I've been using the beta now for a couple days, having taken 10-15 drives around the city with it. I'm honestly a bit perplexed at how badly it handles certain situations. It fails to act normally in what seems like a very uncomplicated situation. Then other times it performs really well in what seems like a complicated situation. In general, based on the visualizations I would say that it seems to understand the world quite well, but makes poor decisions based on that data. It's really quite amusing to have it sometimes start a right turn and then stomp on the brakes in the middle of the intersection with no other cars oncoming, but then also on a random unprotected left turn find an appropriate gap between oncoming cars and begin accelerating before the first car passes to perfectly and smoothly maneuver through the gap.

Despite my complaints I do see a clear path to success here though at least as far as assisted driving goes. I look forward to seeing improvements as updates are released.

The offset seems to be set +1 mph from the beginning?

lsZZF8X.png

FF a few minutes, I'm not on a computer where I can view youtube, but I distinctly remember him doing 30 in a 25, and 25 in a 20 through most of the first 30 minutes of the video. I was discussing it with someone else while watching it and paused it multiple times to show them the speed offset.

I was generalizing when I said he started at +5, forgive me for not creating dozens of timestamps showing all the times he was at +5.

Pulling it up on my phone he goes to +5 at 7:44 in the video and stays there for quite some time, I'm not going to waste my mobile data checking for further timestamps.

Last edited:
FF a few minutes, I'm not on a computer where I can view youtube, but I distinctly remember him doing 30 in a 25, and 25 in a 20 through most of the first 30 minutes of the video. I was discussing it with someone else while watching it and paused it multiple times to show them the speed offset.

I was generalizing when I said he started at +5, forgive me for not creating dozens of timestamps showing all the times he was at +5.

Pulling it up on my phone he goes to +5 at 7:44 in the video and stays there for quite some time, I'm not going to waste my mobile data checking for further timestamps.
Yes - I can confirm that it was at +5 several times throughout his ride.

Yes - I can confirm that it was at +5 several times throughout his ride.

You need to drive like Grandma to get FSD beta, and 1st thing you do is drive +5 above speed limit ? ;)

If we take the whole humanity evolution arc from cell .. monkey to human ... where is FSD on a similar arc? Can walk on two feet? discovered fire ? learnt to scribble? learnt to talk?