Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I am more of a Yogi Berra fan than an expert here. I looked this up.

"Will GTC orders fill after hours?

It's important to note that a GTC order is not active during after hours trading and will only execute during normal market hours."

So to take advantage of anomalies after hours, the after hours buy order may need to be placed every day.

Vanguard let's you trade until 6:30 and since they are big enough to make a market they have reached down to make some below market purchases to complete a larger order. In other words, I have seen transactions made below the recorded low of that time period.

If you choose Fidelity, they let you trade until 8:30. They may be able to do the same thing to close a larger order, but I have not seen it.

The key point being a big brokerage does not appear to take all their trades all the way to the market if they can execute internally.

At least that is what it looks like is happening.

Someone here actually knows. I am just observing.
Oh okay. I use Fidelity.
I will place it during trading hours and after hours everyday. I definitely did not know about that. Thanks again!

• Helpful
Reactions: 22522
I'm behind on which batteries are going into which cars manufactured where, and I'm not saying LFP batteries won't be used, but your other point is easily overcome.
As I said, the standard range Model 3 is the only mainstream EV in the US that uses LFP. Look it up if you don't believe me. Hertz only bought standard range Model 3s and not a mix of models. Elon said there was no discount and Hertz paid $4.2B for 100K cars. Do the math. There was no big order of rental EVs until the M3 with LFP was available. And the market happened to go nuts for Tesla on the day the big Hertz order was announced.

Yes, I deduced. But if you have an alternative/better explanation for all this, I'd like to hear it. Why did Hertz only order standard range Model 3s? Wouldn't it have made more sense to include the more popular Model Y and at least a few of the high end Model S? Why not add some LR AWD, or Performance into the mix?

PS: "Why the heck did you hack/cripple the range on my rental car???" Oh yes, that's a great idea. I'm sure Tesla would go along with that because it's such great free advertising. Have you not noticed the tons of bad press Tesla gets over BS claims? Why hand the press a legitimate reason to complain and thus waste all the great free advertising they will get from Hertz and Tom Brady?

A bit surprised and disappointed that Hertz is going all-in for SR+ and no LR in the mix. As we all know even LR sometimes is challenging for long drives in the winter. And the newbies who will be renting Teslas would be struggling to make long distance trips in SR+ in the winter, outside of CA.
Give it time. With only 100,000 they will have more than enough demand from people who are making shorter trips.

A bit surprised and disappointed that Hertz is going all-in for SR+ and no LR in the mix. As we all know even LR sometimes is challenging for long drives in the winter. And the newbies who will be renting Teslas would be struggling to make long distance trips in SR+ in the winter, outside of CA.
SR3s cover a lot of in town on business for a couple days type traffic. Hertz still has ICE vehicles for people who need more range/ underserved charging areas.

Your point is a good one about being sure the renter is aware of the differences. SR/LR rental differentiation might add too much confusion/complexity.

I’m sorry but someone in TX talking about how difficult it can be in winter with a LR Model 3 made me laugh. I have no problems going to VT and back even when it’s -20C. We’ve even done it in my wife’s SR+ a few times and just needed 20 mins at a supercharger.

SR3s cover a lot of in town on business for a couple days type traffic. Hertz still has ICE vehicles for people who need more range/ underserved charging areas.

Your point is a good one about being sure the renter is aware of the differences. SR/LR rental differentiation might add too much confusion/complexity.
It's also likely the only configuration Tesla could guarantee that much production. Remember, Tesla hasn't just been swapping out existing Model 3 SR orders with the CATAL batteries. They've been emailing Model SR customers asking if they want to switch to get their Model 3 SR earlier.

So likely the entire Hertz order was done this way because Tesla could guarantee production of those because Model 3 and Model Y LR variants are sold out to customers for most of 2022 already and Tesla couldn't guarantee they could fill the order to Hertz with those configurations.

Last edited:
I hope Elon sold some shares to raise funds for his tax bill/exercising options.

Sure would make me feel better about this *intraday* dip. Hate to think it’s actually MM or short sellers profiting off of this rally. But probably healthy for the stock to cool off for a day anyway…get within the bollinger bands (squiggly line stuff) and consolidate before we proceed to new all time high closes!

One thing is for sure; every time I’ve taken profits I’ve regretted it and I’m not gonna do that.

It's doubtful that the Hertz staff would know or care about the difference. It would make reserving an LR problematical. Most rentals are for business customers anyway.

Reactions: SageBrush and mongo
Hi I am more of a Yogi Berra fan than an expert here. I looked this up.

"Will GTC orders fill after hours?

It's important to note that a GTC order is not active during after hours trading and will only execute during normal market hours."

So to take advantage of anomalies after hours, the after hours buy order may need to be placed every day.

Vanguard let's you trade until 6:30 and since they are big enough to make a market they have reached down to make some below market purchases to complete a larger order. In other words, I have seen transactions made below the recorded low of that time period.

If you choose Fidelity, they let you trade until 8:30. They may be able to do the same thing to close a larger order, but I have not seen it.

The key point being a big brokerage does not appear to take all their trades all the way to the market if they can execute internally.

At least that is what it looks like is happening.

Someone here actually knows. I am just observing.

Oh okay. I use Fidelity.
I will place it during trading hours and after hours everyday. I definitely did not know about that. Thanks again!
you can just use a limit order and apply it to off hours

for example at IB there’s a toggle for
“Outside RTH” (regular trading hours)

yes the limit order gets dropped after the days end, but do you really want a GTC out there for extended period at 900 anyway? it will hit when you least expect, or want, it on a bad downswing -

i’m just observing too
i’d rather repeat limit entries on the days i care about than leave a GTC out there indefinitely and forget about it (it’s happened to me!)

Last edited:
MIC SR+ just got a quiet range boost. FYI.

I hope Elon sold some shares to raise funds for his tax bill/exercising options.

Sure would make me feel better about this *intraday* dip. Hate to think it’s actually MM or short sellers profiting off of this rally. But probably healthy for the stock to cool off for a day anyway…get within the bollinger bands (squiggly line stuff) and consolidate before we proceed to new all time high closes!

One thing is for sure; every time I’ve taken profits I’ve regretted it and I’m not gonna do that.
I really don't get the concern. Today's stock action, both chart and the volume, look very bullish to me.

If you're hoping for more gains for Q4, then you're very happy with today's development.

Sell off to allow profit taking? Check
Very strong volume meaning plenty of new investors? Check
Forming cup formation? Check

This just look like consolidation around the 1,000-1,050 range.

Maybe I'm just crazy though 🥴

Xmas is coming....

Dammit, Haddaway is stuck in my head now.

Last edited:
Asking for a friend... what's a good price to obtain more TSLA near-term?
Any technical lines to know about?

1635271361675.png

Reactions: Sofie
Yeah, I don't see the problem. Plenty of space for those still under a margin call to push us back up to $1050 for a close Friday. MM's "win" and we're sitting at $1050 as a base for 4Q earnings. Folks can then decide if they want in before the end of January or not.

As I mentioned in the other thread. Yes, there are likely some foolish stop-loss orders at $1000, but there are a 100x as many buy orders at $985.

Would I like to see more frenzy? Sure. But settling in at $1000-1100 is perfectly fine for me, lots of option selling opportunity thru New Years. 4Q is going to be bonkers, then the algos need to reset AGAIN.