Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m 80 plus and I would urge you not to be 40% in cash. Money is a depreciating asset, and you may live longer than you think. I suggest placing most of it in income producing high quality stocks. P&G would be an example. You may be surprised at how well they do over time. Leave the Tesla alone. It’s fine where it is.
I appreciate the advice. I spent 25 years as a money manager and a broker. I know all the different strategies that can be deployed. Personally I've always been a risk taker. In my older years I have adopted what I call the "barbell approach". I have 40% in TSLA, 40% in cash and 20% in 3 Ark Funds. I.e., I take a lot risk with about 1/2 of my assets, no risk at all with a similar amount and the rest in assets that I trust other people to manage (CW) The problem with investing in "high quality" dividend paying companies is the predictability of the fundamentals of the individual companies. These are the companies that Cathie Wood believes will get annihilated by the disruption thats going on. To me it's not worth the risk for the 2 or 3%. The cash that I have will last me as long as I live. I feel pretty much set with this approach. No sleepless nights. Thanks and the best of good fortune to you.

I actually think the stock is starting for a cup and handle here.......which I'm actually hoping forms over the course of the rest of this week. Would be really healthy for the stock because it would set a new base in the 1,000-1,050 area. Would suck if you were wanting to offload short terms calls, but it's the healthiest thing for the stock to run higher through the rest of Q4.

I’m not waiting for no splits lol!
I want 100 more shares at around 900$
again.
Maybe that’s too long in the rear view now though! May have to buy them hot next week
Someone will try to drop the price by 8% to trigger stop loss selling, and take all the new investor lunch money. So you might be able to do it.
I have no idea how active programed selling is during after hours selling, but fewer shares are traded so manipulators have more leverage.

You might consider putting in a buy order each day in the after market at the lower than market price you want. You might catch one of those Tesla symbols that appear occasionally (someone else may understand what they really are, maybe a figment).

I text my brother in-law yesterday about all this as he bought some shares years ago at $200, but he told me he sold them a few years ago when he moved everything into a mutual fund account. Poor fellow....missed the split and over 10k in earnings....I thought he believed what I was telling him about the company and the transition, but I guess not enough....
I have come to realization that these attempts are futile for an unprepared audience. Even education does not matter. Just proves how strong biases are, and how difficult it is to hold. Just that evolved into a part-time job. Cheers to the community!

Elon is for the people. I’d wager he goes that way unless Hertz wants to play by Tesla rules. Nobody wanted to play by Tesla rules for the Supercharger Network. Do they or other companies (Hertz) see the light now?
So far Tesla appears in control with full pricing on Hertz vehicles. But I also agree with you because he did say we should be able to capture $30K annual income per vehicle off the Tesla FSD Network. One thing for sure, it's getting harder and harder to predict how this transition plays out. I mean, what the heck is the difference between car rental and ride-share anymore? Today only constrained by vehicle location which disappears on FSD. And why would Hertz even keep their spot in the parking garage? Even that won't make sense soon.

As Tesla gets larger, it's growth rate will get slower at a certain point... You can't just carry 50% CAGR out to infinity. Elon himself makes fun of this mentality.

You start to get into extreme silliness with this in a short amount of time, like Tesla alone accounting for the majority of global GDP growth.
True in the long term or if you are just thinking cars. Short to medium turn--not so much.

True in the long term or if you are just thinking cars. Short to medium turn--not so much.
Even long term, it's crazy how no one values the energy side. How many times does Tesla need to smack analysts across the face by saying "Energy is contrained by lack of battery supply.....which we have a solution for coming soon"

Someone will try to drop the price by 8% to trigger stop loss selling, and take all the new investor lunch money. So you might be able to do it.
I have no idea how active programed selling is during after hours selling, but fewer shares are traded so manipulators have more leverage.

You might consider putting in a buy order each day in the after market at the lower than market price you want. You might catch one of those Tesla symbols that appear occasionally (someone else may understand what they really are, maybe a figment).
Oh great idea!!! A GTC order for 100 shares at $900. I’ll try it. Thank you

Just posting to mark the day! Was too busy having caviar & champagne.

Ok, it was really a nice piece of salmon & and longboard larger.
I finally drank my last "Last Drop" (neat but with a few drops of water)

Attachments

• My last Last Drop.jpg
    My last Last Drop.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 72
Even long term, it's crazy how no one values the energy side. How many times does Tesla need to smack analysts across the face by saying "Energy is contrained by lack of battery supply.....which we have a solution for coming soon"
Analysts? Hell, 95% of this forum don't even give Energy a passing thought. It's always been a mystery to me why people would think a car company is worth $1T, even with the advantages of FSD.

Energy is a larger market. By a little bit.

I just realized the Hertz deal will not significantly affect the supply of most Teslas. Hertz ordered the only Teslas (the only US EVs) that come with LFP batteries. These batteries are needed for rentals because you can charge them to 100% with impunity. The production of other models is (and/or will be) mostly constrained by the supply of non-LFP batteries.

The LFP batteries may also explain why the Hertz order was such a big deal. A large rental fleet order of EVs was overdue, casting doubt on EV viability. But such an order had to wait until a large number of EVs with LFPs were available.

Moving the standard range Model 3 to LFP in the US was yet another genius move by Elon.

I just realized the Hertz deal will not significantly affect the supply of most Teslas. Hertz ordered the only Teslas (the only US EVs) that come with LFP batteries. These batteries are needed for rentals because you can charge them to 100% with impunity. The production of other models is (and/or will be) mostly constrained by the supply of non-LFP batteries.

The LFP batteries may also explain why the Hertz order was such a big deal. A large rental fleet order of EVs was overdue, casting doubt on EV viability. But such an order had to wait until a large number of EVs with LFPs were available.

Moving the standard range Model 3 to LFP in the US was yet another genius move by Elon.
I'm behind on which batteries are going into which cars manufactured where, and I'm not saying LFP batteries won't be used, but your other point is easily overcome.

Just use s/w to lock down changing the max charge level to 90% in all Hertz cars. And display projected 'mileage' instead of % battery remaining. No non-Tesla owner will notice or care. Even the charge screen could easily be customized to avoid showing the battery charge only going to 90%.

There are a lot of opportunities for Tesla on the Hertz deal, many of which can leverage Tesla's software-centric design. This is just the start.

The SP looks pretty good to me right now. After the big kick it is holding yesterday's line in the sand. If it fluctuates around this point for a few days it would, to me, appear to cement the new norminal into place.

Then, back to business as usual. Well, as usual for TSLA that is.

A couple hundred more points between now and the end of the quarter taken in (TSLA-sized) baby steps rather than long jump strides would be okay, wouldn't it? 🤷‍♂️

Though, I won't complain if it rockets to 1500, then dips to 1250 either. :cool:

It's always been a mystery to me why people would think a car company is worth $1T, even with the advantages of FSD.
A car company could easily be worth $1T with 30% gross margins and 10 million annual production and no sales growth. That's net profit around $100B annually. Tesla will hit this on their auto business around 2027.