Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No unit limit, but since Ford and GM can just bolt a 10kWh battery and tiny motor onto any existing platform and collect more money than Tesla’s full BEVs, Tesla is not likely to collect the majority of the $$.

Within 2 years, every car, truck, van, and hamster is going to be a PHEV.

The only saving grace is they are still going to keep losing market share every year to Tesla; likely until they go out of business.

One comment. GM currently has no PHEV in the US and they stopped producing the Volt to focus on EV's. I am no fan of GM but I don't believe they will go back to PHEV's as they do understand it will dilute their efforts to get to full EV.

not while they can “pop into existence thanks to the Madoff rule” “virtual/counterfeit shares” that can get rolled into the indefinite future to “short/keep markets working”

perhaps “dee-risking” by “dee-rivatives” should be “dee-need” and “dee-stroyed” so only actual stocks exist.

it’s almost like there is a ginormous pile of nonexistent virtual cash, supported by a mountain of nonexistent virtual stock, a consensual hallucination awaiting someone to try to take a withdrawal from this nothingness that was hypothecated and rehypothecated.
(leverage works both ways, up and down, like skaters playing “crack the whip”)

do the shares you supposedly own exist? or are they a tiny few passed around at the speed of an HFT.
Then there's gold - I'm sure it all exists somewhere as well. :rolleyes: No safe bets moving forward, not trusting cash much either.

What would everyone need in the future (besides land) that can also store cheaply, is lasting, and doesn't lose value over time? I keep coming up with more guitars and old audio gear (I'm biased). What's the "shovel" in this new gold rush? Nema 15-40 charging outlets? Copper for motors and wiring?

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Good point. However, Tesla won't sell us Powerwalls if we don't also combine it with solar panels or solar roof. For those of us who already have solar panels, we're SOL. I expect this to change when batteries are more plentiful.

We were without power for 29 hours over the weekend. I would LOVE to be able to use our Teslas as temporary power sources for the home.
I believe this requirement is temporarily due to very limited supply. Once battery bottlenecks ease, I think the powerwalls become available without solar again

I’m actually thankful for capital gains taxes these days, because if not for their deterrent effect on selling, I would have gotten out back when we hit $500 post-split.
FYI, there is a number inside you, even if you are unaware of its existence, that once you hit it you actually don’t care capital gains taxes exist. I know. I wouldn’t have believed such nonsense talk a couple of years ago.

Until 2 years ago I knew Teslas made expensive electric cars that ran on computer batteries. And I AM smart compared to most Americans. I didn't give a crap about climate change. I still don't because I lived through the absolutely most terrible catastrophic global unstoppable environmental disaster EVER! No one can argue that it had an even better PR department than "Global Warming." Global Warming sounds good.
Now ACID RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ACID RAIN! It is raining ACID. It was going to kill the forests. It was already sterilizing trout streams. Paint was dissolving off of cars. The World was ending. And then all they had to do was force Ohio Coal plants to put some scrubbers on their coal plants. And Acid rain was gone. POOF. Gone.
So really "Global Warming" Less harsh Winters, Longer Summers! Yippee.
My point is most don't care about Global Warming. We will have to do is something eventually. no big deal. So no, EV's aren't really the solution to "us." We want to have a better ride. Period.
But the Cyber(nota)truck hooked such a large percentage of the "real" people. So "we" learned things because we liked the cyber(nota)truck, not to save the world.
I'll let you in on something, I still don't care about the future of the Planet. I live my life so not to do any more harm to it, but after I am gone I don't care. I got a shitty planet to live in when I was born, and I expect the next generation will do what they want.
But the truth is EV's are better cars. And that is all that is needed to get us to want and buy them. Unfortunately the truth is not of any value. It is the perception. Somehow the perception of EV's is changing...not to save the world.
And regular people are easily deceived by the business entities of the world. The truth won't sell vehicles when more powerful lies are given center stage.

Pooh poohing the acid rain problem to support your view is like Pooh poohing Covid. Thanks to a major effort many lives have been saved (with the ones saved often not knowing that they would otherwise have perished). similarly, acid rain was addressed successfully in an international effort. Check out the first link to see two US maps with the pH levels (Remember, a pH difference of 1 means 10 times the concentration in H3O+) with a time difference of 14 years.

The second link gives an overview of what has been done to achieve success

Lots of art of cathedrals and works of art have suffered from acid rain. Now I’m an agnostic atheist who thinks religion is not a good thing because it discourages people from scrutinizing their opinions instead of being open to being wrong and aligning one’s opinions with the one reality for all of us. I’m also a nerd and I don’t care about art at all. Yet both personal views are not a reason to cheer on acid rain.

I do acknowledge that different people value different things, and I don’t mind people going for an EV for the acceleration more than for its environmental benefits, but willful ignorance doesn’t go well with me. There is only one reality, and I hope that on this forum (and outside that) that reality is used as the benchmark. It is of essence for our TSLA investments and for our planet.

Last edited:
the yahoo guy said it would bleed up then drop after todays expiration. ok i guess

we’ll wait for the inevitable.

Options O.I. for next week was already at 616,090 contracts on Friday morning. We won't get the net change due to Friday's Options trading until 7 a.m. on Monday morning, but I do note that Max Pain had already increased to $980 on Friday morning (a steady rise during the week). It doesn't look like Options traders are expecting a SP drop.

Options.MaxPain.2021-10-29-07.00.png

Cheers!

Have you red FrankSG Tesla evaluation analysis yet?

20k stock price, pre-split, is just 4K today.
I see that as a definite, no doubt. And it’ll probably happen sooner than we think.

In that case, I will buy it at $250.
Do you really think the price is just going to keep going up without any large dips? I still think 99% of people don't 'get' Tesla and are just in it for the short-term gains. They will leave when they made a good profit.
Hey, good luck with that timing. I'm terrible at timing peaks, but I'm getting better at timing when Tesla is unusually low (coiled) to buy more... I'll just HODL and wish you luck!

Last edited:
Honestly, in a scenario where we somehow rocket to $2000 in the near term, I think selling there and buying back at $1000-1200 has about a ~50% chance of working.

I'm old enough to know there's always a sale when global macro bubbles pop. Hell, we just had a half-price sale not too long ago.

Only problem is, you got a 50% chance of getting absolutely screwed. HODLing is virtually foolproof in the long run.

So on Monday I told my wife how much more my chairs were worth just that day. This morning at breakfast she said, "you know, when you made £xxx the other day, well Elon Musk's worth increased by $34B", I looked up from my food and said, after a pause, "yes, but he earned his money"!

Yes but more importantly, he earned YOUR money too ;)

Why do we have to acknowledge it? I’m more of the ignore the behavior you don’t want, praise the behavior you do want, and soon enough all you get is the behavior you want. Tesla mostly follows that too.

Okay, I’ll try it your way. Acknowledged. Now what?
US constituents need to first acknowledge it and then contact their representatives to voice their opinion in hopes of change. Then you can properly rant some here and/or social media trying to rally support for what you think is terrible policy...at least that's what I have done.

I also agree with praising good behavior.

not while they can “pop into existence thanks to the Madoff rule” “virtual/counterfeit shares” that can get rolled into the indefinite future to “short/keep markets working”

perhaps “dee-risking” by “dee-rivatives” should be “dee-need” and “dee-stroyed” so only actual stocks exist.

it’s almost like there is a ginormous pile of nonexistent virtual cash, supported by a mountain of nonexistent virtual stock, a consensual hallucination awaiting someone to try to take a withdrawal from this nothingness that was hypothecated and rehypothecated.
(leverage works both ways, up and down, like skaters playing “crack the whip”)

do the shares you supposedly own exist? or are they a tiny few passed around at the speed of an HFT.
It depends on your definition of "run out of money". Yes, market makers can conjure shares and sell them, apparently with no upward limit. But they gotta be bought back at some point.

Now that we're $1T+, will MM's be nearly as quick to fire off a quick 100k in fake shares? That's real money now. $112.8M to be exact, compared to only $8.5M just a year and a half ago.

I don't think Little Kenny Griffin is gonna Melvin himself just so he can have a good week selling options contracts.

We're at escape velocity in more ways than one!

Earlier this year (March), a bunch of us made predictions on what the share price would be at the end of the year. I'd like to remind you all that the "wisdom of the crowd" average was $1462.74. We're not quite there yet nor are we at the end of the year, but it will be interesting to see how close we come. :)

Last edited:
FYI, there is a number inside you, even if you are unaware of its existence, that once you hit it you actually don’t care capital gains taxes exist. I know. I wouldn’t have believed such nonsense talk a couple of years ago.

This reminded me of some advice I read once regarding investments and taxes.

They offered how the goal of an investor should be to pay more tax, as that means you have made the higher gains.

An investment mindset where investment choices are made based upon tax considerations will most often net lower gains.