Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Q1 - No? EU will eat as many Tesla as they can ship, people are waiting for cars, the model Y hasnt even been shipping to the Uk or open for orders in Australia/NZ etc.

Q2 - Ford have plants in EU/UK and have local models, but dont do amazing, they will be building something on the MEB platform soon. GMC have basically abandoned EU and sold VX/Open already.
Thank you.

Why does it take so long to be upgraded to investment grade?

From this article it seems like it could still be up to a year away...

Anyone have constructive insight into this timeline?

The valuation milestone comes after S&P Global Ratings on Friday upgraded Tesla’s long-term rating to BB+ from BB. The ratings agency said it expects the company’s deliveries and earnings to remain strong over the next few quarters.
“S&P’s recent upgrade of Tesla has the auto manufacturer knocking on high grade’s door, and we expect the company to cross over to investment grade within the next 12 months, opening up the potential for further financial product offerings,” Levington said.

See what Mary achieved! No1 spot for the most American made car is an EV!

"It’s worth noting that [REDACTED]is the only major automaker to claim 100% domestic production for all cars it sells in the U.S., well above the industry’s roughly 52% average for the 2021 model year," Kelsey Mays, assistant managing editor at Cars.com, told USA TODAY.

With bonds spiking today, a lot of companies with negative earnings and tech tanked today. Very bullish that TSLA closed in the green.
Tecnicailly the bonds FELL and YIELDS spiked, but we get your point. this up/down up/down of bonds and yields and the impact on the overall growth sector is going to play out probably another half dozen times in the coming 2-3 quarters. I won’t be surprised to see bonds RISE and YIELDS FALL again in the next 60 days at least as much as they rose today.

What time are the insider sales for the day usually posted? Maybe too, Elon sold today.

I think we have 1-2 more planned September sales for tranch 1 share options and these are on a weekly basis roughly.

I think his other sale is on hold because he has new information that isnt public that could affect share price (aka insider trading etc), so cant sell.

What this information is we dont know - opening schedule of Berlin/Austin, sales data, stock split? who knows.

It's the power the of the dealer monopoly association. Dealers are no longer mostly ma and pa dealerships, they are multi-franchise, multi-state organizations that give the appearance of competition without actually being competitive. So unless every car manufacturer ups the MSRP simultaneously, dealers would just stop selling that brand. The dealer head office doesn't care which car you purchase, only that you purchase from one of their many outlets. So one manufacturer raising the MSRP would hurt the manufacturer far more than it would hurt the dealer.

I understand your point about the commoditization of dealerships, but not why OEMs can't raise prices. Say Ford raises the price of the Mach-E $10,000. Ford would get $10,000 more income, and the dealership will get the std profit from new MSRP, plus 'only' $10,000 of the $20,000 they have been surcharging consumers over MSRP. The dealership is still making a killing on the Mach-E - why would they stop selling it?

What am I not understanding?

Perhaps it's that each dealer / association has long-term annual agreements with locked-in prices for inventory purchased over the course of the year. Changing the price would start competing dealers on their pricing contracts / expiry. That would make more competition among dealers, no? Wait, why isn't this a good thing?

Regardless, we agree that Tesla, without dealership agreements, has infinitely more flexibility / agility to adjust prices to market demand than the OEMs.

Ford Dealer tells potential customer they should "Marque-off" if you won't allow us to "Mark-up" the MSRP on a Mach-e:

With dealers like that, who needs frienemies? Too bad Tesla has ended their Referral Program, otherwise that Ford saleman could've earned 1,000 free Supercharger miles... :p

"Umm thanks?" Ford dealers? :p

Cheers!
Wasn't the main argument NADA used against the direct sales model was the best interest of the consumer? Protecting us from the greedy manufacturers? Pot meet Kettle.
This really chaps my butt so I've penned a copy of this article to my district Senator. Feel free to use as needed.

Dear Senator Tedisco
I've discussed this topic a few years back with Congressman Tonko but would appreciate your efforts in addressing what I feel is the unfair practice of lobbying to restrict a competitive market for automobile sales, specifically the restriction of Tesla to 5 sales centers for the entire state of New York. There was a bill sponsored by Senator George Amedore and Assemblyman Joseph Morelle in 2018, Senate bill S6600A and Assembly bill A8248A, that would open up an additional 15 sales centers which are necessary to address the growing demand for Tesla's 100% electric cars.
The argument given by the Rochester Automobile Dealers Association as well as the Eastern New York Coalition of Automotive Retailers has been, in the words of Brad McAreavy, President of the RADA,

"Tesla came to the market with that model," said McAreavy. "They thought they had a better way of doing business. It's better for them, I suspect, financially, but it's not better for consumers."

McAreavy says first, there's no negotiating the price. You can't go to another dealership and get a better deal.

"To not have the dealer, the independent franchise dealer in your corner it's going to hurt consumers," McAreavy said. "It doesn't give them a protection that they currently enjoy today."

That bizarre position is motivated purely to handcuff Tesla as a formidable competitor in the name of consumer protection. We have seen no evidence that Tesla has abused their role as manufacturer and sales agent and the unprecedented demand for their vehicles gives testament to consumers comfortable with that relationship.

But what follows is an example of a scenario that amplifies the greed that is really at the core of the RADA and Eastern New York Coalition of Automotive Retailers. It also contradicts their position of protecting the consumer.

"We are in the market for a new electric vehicle and I really wanted a Mach-E. However, I could not find any dealerships that would accept a pre-order without adding a mark-up once it was received. Beat we could find was an offer to only add $5k.

I didn’t want to give up yet, so I emailed a number of Ford Executives to see if they could help with a dealer. One ended up calling me back. When I explained the situation, he said there was little they could do to prevent dealerships from adding mark-ups to MSRP.
In the end, he agreed it would be better to buy a pre-ordered Tesla at MSRP than a Mach-E at any mark-up over MSRP.

I am now going to be a Tesla Model 3 owner."

I'm also attaching a link to the article with more detail here.

Senator Tedisco, I've been a resident in your district for over 30 years and have admired your commitment and tenure as a representative of your district. I entrust that you will consider this matter and do what you can to show that New York State is progressive and truly committed to making our state a leader in a green future.

Regards

Douglas Godfrey

See what Mary achieved! No1 spot for the most American made car is an EV!

"It’s worth noting that [REDACTED]is the only major automaker to claim 100% domestic production for all cars it sells in the U.S., well above the industry’s roughly 52% average for the 2021 model year," Kelsey Mays, assistant managing editor at Cars.com, told USA TODAY.
*ahem* POTUS?

In my mind, it's less corruption and more that the government concludes that Tesla won't need any help being successful, but that the OEMs do. I don't subscribe to the government-is-useless-save-my-tax-dollars point of view (maybe it's because I'm Canadian), but part of the President's job is to help American companies that need help, no? Therefore his messaging is about magnifying the potential for the at-risk OEMs (his messaging went way too far off truth, but the intention was good). For Tesla, as long as he gets out of the way and doesn't actively impede, he's trying to do his job. Optimistically, in the big picture, we want more EVs to replace ICEs, right?

Yes, I make a lot of lemonade in life, don't shoot me. I'm representative of half of this forum that aren't cynics! (cue @Krugerrand)

I think we have 1-2 more planned September sales for tranch 1 share options and these are on a weekly basis roughly.

I think his other sale is on hold because he has new information that isnt public that could affect share price (aka insider trading etc), so cant sell.

What this information is we dont know - opening schedule of Berlin/Austin, sales data, stock split? who knows.
oh, we know. We all know.

• Funny
Reactions: Andy O