Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thus buy now - before the sentiment changes and everyone starts buying… right?

yesterday and likely today will be an amazing opportunity for long term hodlers. Easy 30% upside from where we are - 920. May take few weeks/months to ATH but we will get there.

True.
But for most people (other than here like in TMC), big opportunities on all big names, so when the purchasing happens it will be for over all market.
Deep pockets sitting with lots of cash on sidelines - only matter of time before they jump in.

If I can manage some long term plays today in TSLA I will add more.

I still think we'll have Santa Rally before year end ..

Looks like they're tryna do this $910 operation today. Can't imagine it being successful(at close) on a day Elon isn't selling. We shall see!

Woke up in the wrong town and need to make my way back home before making any rage conversions today. Therefore I assume we get a dip at open and recovery to $940 real quick before I can act.

Tempting also to try and wait for a deeper low Monday when Elon's likely to be selling again.

We are at the Average Downers phase and hopefully we can sidestep the lower tiers. I am afraid if Elon sells into the low volumes of today or next week it could push us into those darker depths. I'm fat and happy staying in the 900s for a while. I'm not happy below that. I'd probably feel differently if I had some dry powder. Dang, I don't even have some ARK I could unload for TSLA.

TSLA 'filled the gap' to Oct 25 in the first 60s of trading:

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2021-12-17.09-31.png

SP touched $930 by 09:34 ET

Cheers!

Time for Elizabeth to Shut the Front Door
I am totally in favor of corporations and individuals paying their fair share, but Elizabeth Warren attacking innovators such as Musk (who will be paying $15 billion in taxes this year - more than anyone in history has EVER paid) is beyond the pale. I think fighting for the people is admirable, but making s*** up is not. Simply greedy and ignorant.

This is a lengthy, but very, very informative video on the spat between MUSK and WARREN, outlining the FACTS in the matter and Tesla's impact on the economy.

youtube.com/watch?v=V5fG0oZMr-I&t=604s

I've been slowly adding these vertical spreads.
Expiration: Jan 2024
Buy to open: 1 call $2300 strike
Sell to open: 1 call $2475 strike
@ $12.00 limit
BH, thoughts on funding these spreads....

a sell to open $250 strike put is currently $15. If would fund the $12 spread. Armageddon would be required to hit $250 in my (very) humble option.

What would be the down side to this?

Time for Elizabeth to Shut the Front Door
I am totally in favor of corporations and individuals paying their fair share, but Elizabeth Warren attacking innovators such as Musk (who will be paying $15 billion in taxes this year - more than anyone in history has EVER paid) is beyond the pale. I think fighting for the people is admirable, but making s*** up is not. Simply greedy and ignorant.

This is a lengthy, but very, very informative video on the spat between MUSK and WARREN, outlining the FACTS in the matter and Tesla's impact on the economy.

youtube.com/watch?v=V5fG0oZMr-I&t=604s

i keep seeing the twitsphere refer to 15b in taxes paid this year. where are you all getting that number from?

it looks like he hasn’t even ‘sold’ 15b worth of stock yet

3C9872D6-25CC-4D89-BA7B-83E68FFBD254.jpeg

…using gary blacks spreadsheet as a reference $13,578,904,800

@winfield100 also has an .xls but i can’t read it really (using iOS on phone). i imagine this forum is much easier on desktop :/

Reactions: UncaNed
i keep seeing the twitsphere refer to 15b in taxes paid this year. where are you all getting that number from?

it looks like he hasn’t even ‘sold’ 15b worth of stock yet

He will owe 53% in taxes on the exercised options, regardless of selling anything (the tax is realized when exercised, not sold, for the options- with the realized gains being the difference between the strike price (just over $6) and the current share price (north of $900 right now))

He'll owe 20% federally (plus any state obligation if CA can lay any claim to those) on any long-term shares he sold ON TOP of that.

a sell to open $250 strike put is currently $15. If would fund the $12 spread. Armageddon would be required to hit $250 in my (very) humble option.

Selling naked garbage puts locks up some margin (or cash) that could be more useful used elsewhere potentially is the primary one.

Reactions: OrthoSurg
He will owe 53% in taxes on the exercised options, regardless of selling anything (the tax is realized when exercised, not sold, for the options)

He'll owe 20% federally (plus any state obligation if CA can lay any claim to those) on any long-term shares he sold ON TOP of that.

and does that somehow tally us to the 15b tax number?

if he exercised options to purchase 17m
shares so far (let’s call it avg price of 1k for the sake of it) that’s still ~17b in realized gains from ~$7 cost basis

53% still not 15billion in taxes

even with 20% LT gains on top of it (on the shares sold after exercise to pay taxes and cost of exercises, it still seems 15b is high

not that any of this matters as far as share price. but accuracy is nice

Last edited:
Reactions: Dig deeper

Pardon my ignorance of all things of or related to a "trading spread"; but does this require you to lock up 100 of your shares per contract in order to "cover" this? And if so, then for how long; what expirations are you talking about? Or is a "vertical spread" different?

If I get more than one reply, I promise to move this to a trading thread or something...

• Disagree
Reactions: BornToFly
True.
But for most people (other than here like in TMC), big opportunities on all big names, so when the purchasing happens it will be for over all market.
Deep pockets sitting with lots of cash on sidelines - only matter of time before they jump in.

If I can manage some long term plays today in TSLA I will add more.

I still think we'll have Santa Rally before year end ..

I keep having this discussion with investment minded friends. Yeah things are shaky and look overvalued, but are they really, and if they are, where else will you put your cash? Yes inflation hurts growth stocks, but equities are priced in USD so an inflated dollar translates into inflation in stock prices.

Beyond that, ok so you sell and go to cash. Now you are looking at a negative real return of 5% or worse. Bonds pay almost nothing. Gold is flat to down. Crypto is flat to down. Real Estate is sky high already. Cash is just waiting for some signal to get off the sidelines in my opinion.