Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1642182974625.png

Those are sellable, but my thoughts are these are most likely built for Euro NCAP testing. I know as I had to do that for Model S in 2014 when we built 12 identical cars and they came and randomly picked one. They then test it and approve production/homologation for customer purchase.

O
Yeah, but doesnt the latest permit give Tesla ability to build 2000 that as far as I can tell cant be sold. That replaced a permit that allowed I think 250. Seems like a huge amount for just crash and regulation testing.

So they cant be sold. So can they be sent to stores and act as loaners, test drive cars, etc. then sometime in the future sold as a used demo car? Maybe after going back to factory as retrofit.
Send them to US! I just got back from a service center yesterday. No way, now how, on either a loaner or a test drive. Forget it, demand is so crazy right now, they sold everything that was drivable.

Yeah, but doesnt the latest permit give Tesla ability to build 2000 that as far as I can tell cant be sold. That replaced a permit that allowed I think 250. Seems like a huge amount for just crash and regulation testing.
I saw it posted somewhere, possible Alex Voigt on twitter, that the cars could be sold, but not before the final permit has been issued. I think it was a german official that said it.

And an injurious financial penalty to a new factory that was incentivized to locate there. Maybe the permit can be amended whenever they can get around to it, and sales allowed.

Reactions: LightngMcQueen
I'll go on the record as saying, TODAY is not the day that Tech stocks are "bottoming" for this current pull back. I think we have 1-2 more 'oh sh..t" days to come.
Today, 1/14/22 is officially ONE of the 1-2 “oh s..t” days I expected to come.. next week we’ll probably see the other. Some things are getting very interesting but I’m still going to be waiting till the whites of their eyes are covered in vomit before taking some positions. I’ve spent the day taking OFF the CC‘s I wrote on QQQ and many other NASDAQ holdings for pennies.. There is some good premium for 1/21 and 1/28 for what ppl think is going to be a bounce so I wanted to free up the underlyings to be able to write again. , but as I said I think there is one more day of puking to come. Question is, when.

And an injurious financial penalty to a new factory that was incentivized to locate there. Maybe the permit can be amended whenever they can get around to it, and sales allowed.
Many of those weren’t intended to be sold. Tesla asked for the permit because they weren’t happy with the quality of the cars.

Now.. the month+ delays in issuing the final permit. Now that is heinous.

So they cant be sold. So can they be sent to stores and act as loaners, test drive cars, etc. then sometime in the future sold as a used demo car? Maybe after going back to factory as retrofit.

Also from the pictures I think they are all performance, so does this go along with the order pages where people in Europe getting March expected delivery dates for performance Ys?
I really don't believe anything I read from any reporter. AND I BELIEVE EVEN LESS WHEN PEOPLE INTERPRET IT.
The language I read said they could not sell any cars until they had final approval for production... which is not the same as they can not sell any of these cars.
So I don't give this more than passing attention.

I thought I’d ask this question (that I should probably remember the answer to off the top of my head) because others here might like assistance recollecting the answer as well and it is applicable to most all:

Let’s say I need to sell shares to get a certain amount of money, e.g. to cover a given sum of taxes, how do I calculate how many additional shares I need to sell to cover the taxes on the shares I sold to cover the original amount (and so on)? Any rate could apply, but call it 37% for concreteness.

Note that this is not the same question as “How do I calculate my tax on capital gains, income, or whatever?"

Also note there may be further subtleties in a given situation. For example, this can remain hypothetical for a few more months in my case *cough* safe harbor *cough*

Final note, I didn’t realize that in retiring I would lose some of that sense of contributing to society and that paying taxes mitigates the feeling of loss (though there really can be too much of a good thing 😅).
I keep beating this drum, but . . . why not just borrow against the assets?

While I am not, by any means, an expert on this topic, I STRONGLY suggest that selling TSLA shares is almost always going to be the very wrong thing to do.

Everyone on this thread should be very well aware that TSLA could be at 2x or 3x in just a few years. This interview by David Lee suggests that Tesla will be the most valuable company in the world by 2025:

Which begs the question: Why would anyone wish to sell shares, shares that will be far, far more valuable in the years ahead, when asset-based lending exists? (And I believe/think that's how Elon was funding his lifestyle for many, many years before forced to sell shares due to expiring employment options.)

If you actually sell shares to pay taxes, that tax payment will likely be the most expensive taxes you will ever pay.

Others may chime in with more options here, but I just don't see how what you are planning to do is even remotely a good idea.

p.s. More info on asset-based lending here; others may have additional info:

Again, this is overblown. The temporary permit does not specifically disallow those cars from being sold, it's just that NO car can be sold from a factory until a final permit is granted.

After that occurs, it will be legal to sell these 2,000 Model Ys. The Brandenberg Minister of Economics explained this in an interview (discussed here earlier this week).

Last edited:
I’m calling it now, Cybertruck delayed because of late change to add 4-wheel steer-by-wire. Better yoke usability, deletes steering column, and enables tank turn & crab walk. We’ll see if I’m right in two weeks.
Just last month Elon tweeted that he wasn't happy with the design of the wiper - which implies that Tesla are not yet "pens down" on the CT design.

I don't know what other design choices are not finalised but I assume it would be difficult to lock in every aspect of the supply chain until this occurs.

Most of the supply chain could still go ahead - cell production and steel quality don't care about a wiper design, but production is only as fast as the slowest part.

@Discoducky how did things work with previous model ramps? Was there a minimum timeline between signing off on the design and starting production?

Last edited:
Clearly an agenda here - is CNBC doing this to other companies who also have these issues (which many, many sadly do)?!!! These are serious issues, and should be heard in the proper forum. But, singling out a company on a financial news network with an employee making accusation, at least in my view, is transparently biased.
They're barking up the wrong tree anyway given spacex is private, unless they want to poison the well for a company that won't list for years to come.

They're more likely to just be hunting Elon clicks.

I keep beating this drum, but . . . why not just borrow against the assets?
I think it depends greatly on what percentage of assets we’re talking about an the person’s particular financial situation.

If you have 100,000 shares and you want to borrow $200,000 against them, it’s not a big deal. If Tesla has a pullback you aren’t going to have any worries.

If you have 300 shares and borrow $200,000 (or whatever maximum there is), it is possible a big pullback will put you in trouble.