Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Class clown at it again
View attachment 795150

Remember when Mr Johnson estimated Operating Cash Flow for Q1 at $1B . . . .the number came in at $4B.
1650490822413.png

Imo a bit bearish. 900k + 60% = 1.44M. I though most of us were thinking ~1.6M - 100k from Shanghai = 1.5M as a bit conservative.
The language is TMC bearish, yes. But this is just the conf call language. They keep saying 50% and delivering 80%.

My worry was that they'd be somehow forced to say "hopefully 50%". Elon ended up technically raising guidance to 60%. We'll probably still see 80%

Elon's detailed commentary on gigashanghai was hyperbullish IMO. Far better than the market expected considering lockdowns. Basically implied (iirc) Shanghai 2Q production on par or better than 1Q.

Elon just said this for the next few few years!
He and Tesla have been saying 50%+ growth for years to come, for more than a year.

The fact that wall street hears them say that, and goes and puts 20% growth into their models, is a wall street problem. Actually I think its a more conceptual / education problem. There aren't historical precedents (maybe Ford / Model T) for a manufacturing company that is production constrained for this long, with a growing production constraint problem. Amazon is kind of an analogue where a really big business was hitting 20% annual growth. That was amazing and hard to comprehend.

MBA programs etc.. don't prepare people for this. Hence our information edge over the pros.