Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you bought TSLA in January 2021, you're at the same SP today after waiting patiently for 18 months. Pretty crazy. I know there have been ATH along the way AND we've had other worse examples in our history, but those longer examples have already been rewarded, while this example hasn't yet. HODL isn't always easy.
Perspective: Early Jan 21 was the market top for a lot of high multiple names, many of which have since crashed 80%-90% in value. To be at the same level we were at in Jan 2021 would be music to the ears of many investors.

There are about 5-10 different threads on reddit and probably dozens of articles online or in the works about this. Tesla will probably do right by the owner but this is going to be a media frenzy for a day or two even if they do.

The story is complicated, a Tesla with a 60 pack went in for warranty repair years ago. It got a 90 pack free because they didn't have any 60s left. At that time or sometime later the car was rebadged as a 90. The car was resold used twice and the 3rd owner took it to Tesla to get a MCU upgrade/replacement recently (after both buying the car as a 90 and using it as a 90 for some time). They software locked the 90 pack back down to 60 saying it was a mistake years ago. Offers to restore the range for $4500.

Much drama ensues.

Last edited:
There are about 5-10 different threads on reddit and probably dozens of articles online or in the works about this. Tesla will probably do right by the owner but this is going to be a media frenzy for a day or two even if they do.

The story is complicated, a Tesla with a 60 pack went in for warranty repair years ago. It got a 90 pack free because they didn't have any 60s left. At that time or sometime later the car was rebadged as a 90. The car was resold used twice and the 3rd owner took it to Tesla to get a MCU upgrade/replacement recently (after both buying the car as a 90 and using it as a 90 for some time). They software locked the 90 pack back down to 60 saying it was a mistake years ago.

Much drama ensues.
Nothing to do there. The owner who badgered it to a 90 more or less knew he was fraudulently profiting from the lucky 90 pack.

A close analogy would be like old AMD Athlon cpus. You could unlock them simply by using a pencil. It was fun and cool as hell to mod your cpu that way. However once you cross that line and advertise it as a cpu it was not, that crosses a legal line.

Last edited:
Nothing to do there. The owner who badgered it to a 90 more or less knew he was fraudulently profiting from the lucky 90 pack.

A close analogy would be like old AMD Athlon cpus. You could unlock them simply by using a pencil. It was fun and cool as hell to mod your cpu that way. However once you cross that line and advertise it as a cpu it was not, that crosses a legal line.
The story is the service center put the 90 badge on. Not an owner (you keep saying "the owner" like there was only one).

Now the story might be wrong but every article is saying that Tesla badged the car.

So no the AMD analogy doesn't fly if Tesla employees did the modification and blessed it.

The car was a 90 in every way pack, badges, software as far as the last 2 owners knew.

Please read the full story and think about it before replying off the cuff.

Last edited:
The story is the service center put the 90 badge on. Not the owner.

Now the story might be wrong but every article is saying that Tesla badged the car.

So no the AMD analogy doesn't fly if Tesla employees did the modification and blessed it.
I am reading the twitter thread and I didn't see how Tesla rebadged the car...as in stuck a 90 on the back and replaced the 60. The person who sold the car most likely put on the 90 badge to get a higher price.

I am reading the twitter thread and I didn't see how Tesla rebadged the car...as in stuck a 90 on the back and replaced the 60. The person who sold the car most likely put on the 90 badge to get a higher price.
Yeah, fraud is on the original older who sold the car as 90, probably forgot to mention it used to be a 60..

latest update from wk057 is that Tesla is working on a solution, so probably they will unlock it back to 90 or 85.

We can only find happiness by looking at our internal PE ratios.

Close you eyes, take 6 deep breathes and visualize TSLA PE ratios flowing in and out of your body.

Only when you can do this will you be able to access your subconscious beta and achieve happiness.

Nominated for "Moderators' Choice: Posts of Particular Merit". Thank-you.

"The stillness in stillness is not the real stillness; only when there is stillness in movement does the universal rhythm manifest."

- Bruce ZeApelido.​

Seems petty for the service center to lock off the battery years later. They goofed, they should just move on. Enough little nothingburger incidents like that can add up over time and cast a shadow on the brand. Hardly worth it.
Orrrrr when they had to set up the new MCU2, the service tech had to set up the range config and the vin dictates that it's a 60. Then the customer complains that it's a 90 and points at the fake badge and the service center probably thought the guy was trying to pull a fast one.

People need to realize that Vin/config mismatch can cause Tesla to shut off supercharger access because internal audit team may think there's some shenanigans being used to hack the Tesla. So when a tech configures the new MCU2, the tech has to purposely set it up as a 90 when it's suppose to be a 60..but then there's no payment associated with that so the tech can get fired without upper management approval.

Last edited:
IMO a bot should cost a lot less than a car, the battery and motors should be a lot smaller, little glass would be required. A lot less raw materials are needed. The build process should be a lot bot simpler.

FTFY. ;) Obviously, Teslabots will build bots. Tesla's 2nd robot will be named 'von Neumann'.

Perhaps it is time I need a new avatar, something unique, perhaps a dog...or a cat.

Why can't we have both? ;)

dog-and-cat-cuddling-cropped.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
I don’t know what happened to the 60-90 car, and I don’t want to know, even if Tesla is somehow responsible.
One thing I am pretty sure, is it doesn’t belong to this thread.
Everyone is in luck because Tesla is working with the customer to resolve the issue so we can rest easy and never need to talk about it again.

FTFY. ;) Obviously, Teslabots will build bots. Tesla's 2nd robot will be named 'von Neumann'.
I can't wait. Oh, did you say "bots?"
View attachment 833312

Everyone is in luck because Tesla is working with the customer to fix the issue so we can rest easy and never need to talk about it again.

Great because this story was about to impact my Tesla investments and strategies, but now I can rest easy and remove the appropriate cels from my spreadsheet. :p

On topic, the market seemed to like Googles and Microsofts missed earnings yesterday. I guess they were both "close enough".

On TSLA, verified investor accounts, and SAY:

Please help me understand what this is all about.

I saw some info, initially a scant bit of excitement, tried to follow the link I think on Martin Viecha's twitter. Link did not take me to the correct spot. I end up getting to what I think was the correct spot, ends up wanting me to verify shares held by using something called "SAY". Seems to entail entering my brokerage account sign in data so they can see position holdings. Oh HELL NO! So I back out of there, although it did seem to not allow multiple brokerages to be entered, just one. So, I go to some other place, it allows you to enter the number of shares owned, makes no mention of call positions, then wants you to upload a brokerage statement. I put in my number of outright shares but again, found it wonky. I'm not really interested in putting my business out in the world.

I once went to a shareholder meeting for a company we owned shares in. They had a list of shareholders without our putting any data online. I think they even knew how many shares we had.

What is the benefit of verifying share ownership? Special communications? Would not that be material info that has to be disclosed to all per reg FD?

Fair Disclosure, Regulation FD​

Regulation FD addresses the selective disclosure of information by publicly traded companies and other issuers. Regulation FD provides that when an issuer discloses material nonpublic information to certain individuals or entities—generally, securities market professionals, such as stock analysts, or holders of the issuer's securities who may well trade on the basis of the information—the issuer must also make public disclosure of that information. In this way, Regulation FD aims to promote full and fair disclosure.

What other reason does TSLA have to try and get my info, which they ought have already? What benefit to me? And why the heck is the process so difficult compared to everything else TSLA does?

I entered our shares held and more than two days ago and have heard nothing back from TSLA.

What are your thoughts? Did you go through this process and what was it like for you? Did you get any confirmation? What expected benefit?

Thanks, sign me
Puzzled

On TSLA, verified investor accounts, and SAY:

Please help me understand what this is all about.

I saw some info, initially a scant bit of excitement, tried to follow the link I think on Martin Viecha's twitter. Link did not take me to the correct spot. I end up getting to what I think was the correct spot, ends up wanting me to verify shares held by using something called "SAY". Seems to entail entering my brokerage account sign in data so they can see position holdings. Oh HELL NO! So I back out of there, although it did seem to not allow multiple brokerages to be entered, just one. So, I go to some other place, it allows you to enter the number of shares owned, makes no mention of call positions, then wants you to upload a brokerage statement. I put in my number of outright shares but again, found it wonky. I'm not really interested in putting my business out in the world.

I once went to a shareholder meeting for a company we owned shares in. They had a list of shareholders without our putting any data online. I think they even knew how many shares we had.

What is the benefit of verifying share ownership? Special communications? Would not that be material info that has to be disclosed to all per reg FD?

Fair Disclosure, Regulation FD​

Regulation FD addresses the selective disclosure of information by publicly traded companies and other issuers. Regulation FD provides that when an issuer discloses material nonpublic information to certain individuals or entities—generally, securities market professionals, such as stock analysts, or holders of the issuer's securities who may well trade on the basis of the information—the issuer must also make public disclosure of that information. In this way, Regulation FD aims to promote full and fair disclosure.

What other reason does TSLA have to try and get my info, which they ought have already? What benefit to me? And why the heck is the process so difficult compared to everything else TSLA does?

I entered our shares held and more than two days ago and have heard nothing back from TSLA.

What are your thoughts? Did you go through this process and what was it like for you? Did you get any confirmation? What expected benefit?

Thanks, sign me
Puzzled
Everyone is rightfully entitled to protect their personal information, but I don't think there's anything nefarious with SayTechnologies. It seems a number of third parties use it as a means to verify stock ownership, and that's really all it does.

As far as Tesla's shareholder verification page, once verified, they'll send you emails for all SEC forms when they're submitted. Not really a big deal, as they'll get posted here within 5 minutes of submission.

Everyone is rightfully entitled to protect their personal information, but I don't think there's anything nefarious with SayTechnologies. It seems a number of third parties use it as a means to verify stock ownership, and that's really all it does.

As far as Tesla's shareholder verification page, once verified, they'll send you emails for all SEC forms when they're submitted. Not really a big deal, as they'll get posted here within 5 minutes of submission.

So why are they wasting a second of energy on it?