Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just read the details on the Canada luxury tax:

How is the Luxury Tax calculated?

The tax will be calculated as the lesser of:

• 20% of the retail sale price above the relevant price threshold ($100,000 for vehicles and aircraft; $250,000 for vessels); or
  • 10% of the retail sale price of the subject vehicle, aircraft, or vessel.
The tax will apply at the point of purchase if the final sale price paid (including applicable duties, charges, and taxes other than GST/HST or provincial sales tax) is above the price threshold.

Modifications made within 12 months of purchase may also be subject to self-assessment of the tax where certain conditions are met. Accessibility modifications are generally excluded.

Currently, a Model Y LR with FSD is $97,800 CDN. But overall I think the tax will have very little effect on Tesla sales due to the calculation being the lesser of.

If you watch Autoline on YouTube, they recently did a focus on new brake technology called Sensify by Brembo.

Testing was done on a 3. These brake improvements can be electrical or hydraulic In application. Sort of a braking by wire approach driving individual brake actuators on each wheel electrically.

I am betting CT comes with these electrical brakes.

Autoline also speculates that Tesla may be the first to use them.

The fact that China is punishing Taiwanese food export means exactly that nothing major will happen. China will declare victory in punishing the Taiwanese and that US is scared of Chinese military so Peolsi has to visit Taiwan unofficially instead of officially.

There is a saying in Taiwan: the dogs that bark all the time do not bite. The dog that bites you is the one that doesn't bark.

Remember when Russia amassed troops in the border yet continued to insist they have no intention of attacking Ukraine? That it was all US propoganda? Remember that when German launched Barbarossa or when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor it was completely shock?

The day when China gathers huge amount of troops, and when they declare they have no intention to attack, is the day we should start worrying. The same goes for North Korea.

Nevertheless, let's all pray for world peace.

Very much agree!

Its been forever the notion China will attack Taiwan any day now for the past 30 years that I have memory. Exactly when was the last time China invaded another country? I'll admit I have very little knowledge of Chinese history but I can't recall a single world event where China invaded another country. I'm sure there are right? To me this continue narrative push is all political and China has zero intentions on attacking another country using its military. We as American keep pushing this narrative stems from our own history of attacking and invading other countries. Is it not? China is way too smart to use such crude methods. Wasn't the Great Wall built to keep invaders out?

I wish this narrative would go away as we are bound to a miscalculation from either side to start something bad.

You say that, but you also said this:

So obviously you trust LG enough that you continue to use your Bolt EV, with a LG made pack, rather than sell it and get something with a pack from a company you trust.
One thing to note is that while most LG pouch automotive applications have had problems the sources have been different. Porsche was allegedly traced to A/C charge controller, Hyundai to 'BMS', Bolt to pouch manufacturing QC and so on. Some, such as all the Geely brands (Volvo, Polestar, LECC, etc) have had zero reported problems with LG, which they've used for all Europe/UK built vehicles.

Tesla using LG would not have problems, I suspect, because their quality control is so good. For OEM's that have obsessive quality control even risk-prone pouches can work well. If, however, they follow the traditional Boeing/GM/VAG practice of delegating quality control and design to third parties there is little surprise that they have Cell, Battery and BMS problems.

One indisputable lesson to learn from Tesla is that supplier quality control requires tight supervision and control from the OEM.

I have shares in three accounts at Schwab and I have not received any reminders.

Is there a deadline to vote?
Deadline is tomorrow 8:59 PM CT.

Screenshot_20220802-104700_Chrome.jpg

I hold a few thousand shares in vanguard. Guess what, they haven’t sent me the ballot for the authorization to increase share count yet. Called them this am and they promised to get back by this evening , after market close to tell me why they haven’t been able to send me the ballot . Reeks mischief , never thought I say this, but Vanguard May be involved heavily with shorters and naked shorters .

Very much agree!

Its been forever the notion China will attack Taiwan any day now for the past 30 years that I have memory. Exactly when was the last time China invaded another country? I'll admit I have very little knowledge of Chinese history but I can't recall a single world event where China invaded another country. I'm sure there are right? To me this continue narrative push is all political and China has zero intentions on attacking another country using its military. We as American keep pushing this narrative stems from our own history of attacking and invading other countries. Is it not? China is way too smart to use such crude methods. Wasn't the Great Wall built to keep invaders out?

I wish this narrative would go away as we are bound to a miscalculation from either side to start something bad.

I would suggest at least spending 10min on Google

I hold a few thousand shares in vanguard. Guess what, they haven’t sent me the ballot for the authorization to increase share count yet. Called them this am and they promised to get back by this evening , after market close to tell me why they haven’t been able to send me the ballot . Reeks mischief , never thought I say this, but Vanguard May be involved heavily with shorters and naked shorters .
Vanguard handled my proxy fine, control # was e-mailed on June 30th. IRA accounts.

Legally in the US, they have to provide you with a proxy. Vanguard might be involved in shorting (really all brokers are), but there is a mechanism for you to vote... you just have to find it.

Exactly when was the last time China invaded another country? I'll admit I have very little knowledge of Chinese history but I can't recall a single world event where China invaded another country. I'm sure there are right? To me this continue narrative push is all political and China has zero intentions on attacking another country using its military. We as American keep pushing this narrative stems from our own history of attacking and invading other countries. Is it not? China is way too smart to use such crude methods. Wasn't the Great Wall built to keep invaders out?
Chinese invasion of Vietnam, 1979

You can add in the Chinese invasion and continued occupation of practically every patch of vaguely shallow water or island in the South China Sea, with hostilities essentially commencing in 1974 and now a frozen conflict involving Vietnam, Phillipines, Indonesia, et al

You can add in the Chinese invasions and annexations of Tibet, Mongolia, etc if you want to be historically accurate in a post WW2 timeframe. The 1969 conflict with Russia should also be noted.

I expect there are others .... Korea notably.

One thing to note is that while most LG pouch automotive applications have had problems the sources have been different. Porsche was allegedly traced to A/C charge controller, Hyundai to 'BMS', Bolt to pouch manufacturing QC and so on. Some, such as all the Geely brands (Volvo, Polestar, LECC, etc) have had zero reported problems with LG, which they've used for all Europe/UK built vehicles.

Tesla using LG would not have problems, I suspect, because their quality control is so good. For OEM's that have obsessive quality control even risk-prone pouches can work well. If, however, they follow the traditional Boeing/GM/VAG practice of delegating quality control and design to third parties there is little surprise that they have Cell, Battery and BMS problems.

One indisputable lesson to learn from Tesla is that supplier quality control requires tight supervision and control from the OEM.
The LG cells Tesla uses are cylindrical (2170s), not pouch. Lessons learned also means the BMS, etc. won't have issues.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
I have shares in three accounts at Schwab and I have not received any reminders.

Is there a deadline to vote?
I called both of my brokers and had them get me my control # for voting to make sure I voted. I had voted them already. But once you get your control #. Just go to www.proxyvote.com to enter that number and be allowed to vote.

I urge all to be 100% sure all your votes have been cast. Deadline is August 3rd.

Legally in the US, they have to provide you with a proxy. Vanguard might be involved in shorting (really all brokers are), but there is a mechanism for you to vote... you just have to find it.

This has been explained before but I can't remember the answer. How does this work?

Tom owns 100 shares.
Phil (short seller) borrows 100 shares from Tom and sells them to Fred.
Tom is unaware his shares were lent as this was done by his broker.
Fred and Tom now own 100 shares but there are only 100 shares authorized.
Do both Tom and Fred vote their shares? Can't be.

Last edited:
just searched my vanguard account and no proxy notice for Tesla shares i only have a small number of shares ~40 but very strange their is no notification