Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you reach the conclusion that Elon single-handedly torpedoed the stock with Twitter?

The entire market crashed in April. The NASDAQ fell 27% from April 1st to mid-June. TSLA’s beta is about 2.1, so the baseline expectation should’ve been TSLA falling ~57%, which is almost exactly what happened. Even the shape of the charts shows strong correlation between wider market moves and TSLA.

View attachment 839131

For all the complaining about TSLA underperforming its beta, I can’t find any actual evidence of that on a time scale long enough to have statistical significance. For instance, the chart above shows the NASDAQ is actually down *more* than TSLA in the last six months.

It wasn't Elon singlehandedly, but he did have a large impact. He announced his Twitter stuff at the beginning of April where there was a huge gap between the Nasdaq and Tesla there. When he started selling post earnings in April, it eliminated that gap quickly and pushed it below. When the fear fo the selling was over, Tesla pushed back above the Nasdaq. Obviously the overall market played into this, especially with it going all the way down to 620.

So, what you're saying then is... Elon single-handedly torpedoed the whole stock market with Twitter? 🤔

BE89CAF8-157A-4AFD-AF24-51254A12C739.jpeg

Ok, now back to our regularly scheduled programming....

Another day another recall, this time wait for the surprise, the Hummer EV. I bet you weren't surprised, lol.

Last edited:
Which begs the question - why didn't Elon wait a bit?

The same reason why he did not wait to sell his shares the first time which if I recall was right after the twitter bid was reported. Elon is obviously wired differently(first principles) and is quick to pull the trigger. History shows that he usually makes the right decision, twitter saga not withstanding.

In a world first, South Australia's big Tesla battery at Hornsdale (owned by Neoen (OTC:NOSPF)) has been approved by the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) to deliver grid-scale inertia services.

The Hornsdale Power Reserve in South Australia can provide up to 3 GW seconds of inertia in Virtual Machine Mode, which is ~50% of South Australia's entire inertia needs.

This is a historic key step in renewables providing grid services with no requirement for fossil fuel backup. This has obvious relevance to Tesla's emerging big battery energy storage business.

Slowly but surely...Tesla energy is scaling :)

Absolutely. I'm such an idiot sometimes- maybe I was up too late last night...I just realized that I couldn't see that reply anywhere organically on my feed. Even when I read Elon's tweets and replies! I only saw it posted here and because it was clickable link from TMC, I was able to see it that way. Went looking for it twice last night trying to find it again for my screenshot and didn't put 2 and 2 together....I actually had to find the TMC link again in order to screenshot it for my post. Duh. How obvious and yet it went unnoticed even though I was making that point!
I think I had to go through Sawyer’s post to locate Elon’s response.

By far the thing I'm most interested for when Q3 earnings come out is Energy. Remember, the Megapack factory was completed in April, so we could maybe start to see some consistent growth in Energy deployment going forward

By far the thing I'm most interested for when Q3 earnings come out is Energy. Remember, the Megapack factory was completed in April, so we could maybe start to see some consistent growth in Energy deployment going forward

Yep, I've been expecting to start seeing energy run up quite a bit soon too. Seems to me like it should be either this quarter or the next.

Reactions: Tommy O and Usain
Yep, I've been expecting to start seeing energy run up quite a bit soon too. Seems to me like it should be either this quarter or the next.
We know it's coming, just a question of Q3 or Q4. You figure they've had roughly 3-4 months to ramp that factory and we know that Tesla has said repeatedly, they have plenty of battery supply right now.

If I remember correctly, when the factory production is fully ramped, it's the equivalent of about 20 billion in annual revenue in Megapacks. So it's something that will start to add a meaningful amount of revenue (and finally decent margins) that no analyst is accounting for.

I have an ignorant question. Last time there was a split announced, Tesla had to issue more shares to the market before the split (I am not sure the reason why they had to do so). Could Musk's sale been possibly partially linked to a similar requirement by the SEC or something? Since Musk sold a ton of shares to the market, Telsa no longer needs to issue more shares to the market?

Edit: or maybe it was when they were added to the S&P500 they had to issue more shares or something...

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ZsoZso

It's really not growing too slow in the scheme of things. We are just spoiled with Tesla speed.

Maybe it will take 2+ months to reach new production target levels and those levels are just quite a bit higher than expected. If 12,000/ month is just the start of the ramp...

I wouldn't bet on 15k per month, but food for thought.
I'm not expecting much of a "ramp" needed for these changes. My understanding is that they are just adding "cloned" processes to bottlenecked areas to boost output. No new processes--just more lines or stations to handle higher volume. As long as that's true (I've not heard otherwise but maybe I missed it), then the ramp will be very quick as long as suppliers can support it.