Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was a great event! And I remember how Steve Jobs died just before. Lots of folks talking about how Elon could be the next tech visionary and when I heard him talk I was really intrigued. Took the tour, ride in my future car and I knew, without a shadow of a doubt, this was the future and I was going to be a part of it no matter what.View attachment 852539
Man, keep that forever and never give it up. You are a visionary my friend!

Jon at Cleanerwatt once again got some nice hints on 4680s.
Seems he got some good sources.

Main points:

Anode in Kato is 90% done with DBE (dry battery electrode) process. 10% in wet process are likely for testing/benchmarking.

Cathode is still made with the wet process, difficulties that small particles of NMC get loose.

Plan for Giga Texas are four 4680 lines with 25GWh/a each. 25% higher per line than the stated 20GWh/a at Battery Day. Maybe partly due to energy density improvements 98 -> 108 -> 118 Wh/cell from 2022 to 2024 (TroyTeslike).

The new 3-in-1 machine (notching, winding, welding) is further along in deployment than he thought, maybe already getting installed in Austin.

Faux vs. Real journalist talking about back to office policy:
I suspect much of the, "get back to the office!" push is to increase consumer spending on gasoline, clothing, and prop up the retail real estate market.

It also increases greenhouse gas emissions, employee stress, and reduces quality of work / life balance and free time. Many jobs work fine in a remote setting and we should be encouraging reduction of unnecessary travel and waste.

Biden to announce approval of $900 million in U.S. EV charging funding | REUTERS (1 hr ago)

As much as many (including Elon) dislike him - have to give props to Biden as his Administration has committed a handsome amount of funding to building out EV charging infrastructure, supply chains and North American cell & EV production. A big turnaround from the essentially zero funding by previous administrations.

As much as many (including Elon) dislike him - have to give props to Biden as his Administration has committed a handsome amount of funding to building out EV charging infrastructure, supply chains and North American cell & EV production. A big turnaround from the essentially zero funding by previous administrations.
Yes, i agree...now the military aid on the other hand.....

Reactions: MartinAustin
I suspect much of the, "get back to the office!" push is to increase consumer spending on gasoline, clothing, and prop up the retail real estate market.

It also increases greenhouse gas emissions, employee stress, and reduces quality of work / life balance and free time. Many jobs work fine in a remote setting and we should be encouraging reduction of unnecessary travel and waste.
While true, this is very narrow and one sided aspect of it.

Our software engineers are largely remote now and will probably remain so forever. When I code, I prefer to be alone and at home. When I do mechanical, electrical, and biomedical engineering, I don’t know how it would be possible for me to get things done for my job if I stayed at home.

I’m also 10x more productive when I have other people around me to bounce ideas off of. And we’ve solved problems that, in my opinion, would not have been solved if we were all remote.

That little Walter isaacson clip is great. Let the market compete and sort it out. If I owned a car company (I guess I sort of do with my TSLA…), I’m not sure anything close to a work from home policy would be something I’d even think about experimenting with…

Will any of that money go to Tesla Superchargers, or will it all be gobbled up by crappier, less reliable networks?

Will any of that money go to Tesla Superchargers, or will it all be gobbled up by crappier, less reliable networks?

TSLA's +3.59% was the best gainer today of 33 largest cap global stocks (higher was Airbnb [+4.33%] in 34th place but worth 10 times less than TSLA):

View attachment 852525
I stand corrected - I had filtered on Tech stocks.

Tesla was the biggest % and value gain of the 67 most valuable companies in the world:

1663195671232.png

It depends on if Tesla applies for it, and any states pick them to operate sites. But given the NEVI formula program funding requirements, I wouldn't expect Tesla to apply for them. A standard V3 site configuration doesn't have enough power to meet the requirements, not to mention needing to have a display/credit card reader on site and a 24x7 call center to take payment over the phone. (Each state is likely to have different requirements and application processes, which makes it a pain. And some states could decide to do it all on their own and not hire out site construction/maintenance/operation to anyone.)

So basically "public charging network" means not Tesla. This bill says to Legacy Auto, "We'll build the charging network to help keep you alive".

That money is not the from federal NEVI formula program funding. (Of which no money has been approved yet, well maybe some got approved today.)

Also, there is no way that the NEVI program would fund sites that big, its goal is to build ~4 stall sites every 50 miles.

As I recall, one emphasis of the USG charger buildout plan was to provide access to more rural areas.

I think this is important. The algorithms that suggest current placement of Level 3 charging (large cities, major interstate routes) leave rural communities out. In my mind, this could be like the Rural Electrification Act of the 30’s. It might be especially important as Cybertruck starts production.

As I recall, one emphasis of the USG charger buildout plan was to provide access to more rural areas.

I think this is important. The algorithms that suggest current placement of Level 3 charging (large cities, major interstate routes) leave rural communities out. In my mind, this could be like the Rural Electrification Act of the 30’s. It might be especially important as Cybertruck starts production.
Here is an example of Oregon's plan for the NEVI funding for the next few years:

1663196736827.png

They are hoping to select contractors and start construction on the FY22 sites in April of 2023.

So they really aren't getting to the rural areas in the next ~4 years. Maybe in the next plan? (for 2025-2028)

I haven't looked for what other states have submitted for plans.