Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Twitter saga continues, $54.20 is contingent on financing,
And frankly that seems a tall order given the state of matters.
If the court enforces the contract, tesla shares are vulnerable. Hence,
the share price has been discounting that since Monday.

Twitter feels it has a strong hand, and now that Elon has caved in,
they won’t give up. Financing $10 plus billions at 5% plus
is also very expensive, especially for twitter. The
path of least resistance for Elon would be to sell more shares.
Uhhhh you read the terms of the deal right?

Elon's not on the hook for the banks portion of the debt funding. It's contractually written out that the deal is pending those banks to pull through on their end. Court can't force Elon to pony up the amount of the banks were contractually forced to come up with.

The judge could force the banks to do an audit to prove they can't provide the debt financing which would likely delay the deal closing. If the audit proves they banks can't get funding, the deal is off completely

But the banks can't just say "We don't want to do it anymore" and walk away leaving Elon on the hook.

I would say the majority of FSDb users are people who just wanted early access to the software. They didn't give a sh*t about testing and sending feedback. That's why these people complain extra loudly about how FSDb sucks. It didn't meet their expectation. And if their expectation was to find and report bugs, as was the intent of the closed beta program, there'd be little reason to bitch so loudly.

That said, I don't think we can reliably count on FSDb --> FSD GA to move the SP much, esp if Musk sticks to his word and releases it by EoY. FSDb needs a lot more improvement before the masses would consider it good/useful. I've been in the closed beta since the first safety score cohort (v10.2, released Oct 2021), and while it's improved quite a bit, it has a long way to go.

But yeah, no need to complain about how bad FSDb is. If it's that bad, then get out. If that's a tough call, then maybe it's not so bad after all.
Excellent post. I wish Tesla could filter out fake bitching and those who do it.

I think he has what he needs already, but agree this will weigh on TSLA until this is known for sure. Just the uncertainty weighs on the stock. I don't know what Elon's fantasy is with Twitter, but I think he can still walk away from the deal for a $1B fee, right?

I would scream for joy if he paid the $1B, walked, and reinvested everything else back into TSLA. I might even stop being frustrated with him :).

Nope. Contract allows twitter to sue for specific performance (ie force Elon to buy at full price)- which they are. the 1B isn't a "anybody can just quit the deal any time for no reason" thing-- it's more of a "If one side is failing to close AND the side that is ready to close decided they no longer wants the deal anyway, they can send the party failing to close a 1 billion dollar bill for breaking the deal"--but it's optional, only choosable by the side that IS ready/willing to close, and only makes sense if the "ready" party no longer wants the deal.... in this case twitter still WANTS the deal (and is ready and willing to close) so instead they are suing for specific performance which the merger explicitly allows for.

Uhhhh you read the terms of the deal right?

Elon's not on the hook for the banks portion of the debt funding. It's contractually written out that the deal is pending those banks to pull through on their end. Court can't force Elon to pony up the amount of the banks were contractually forced to come up with.

Actually they court CAN force him to do that. And HAS done that, even with financing falling through, in previous cases where there was evidence the financing fell through due to some action on the part of the buyer- which you can easily make a case for here.

THAT said- the banks are on the hook for the financing in the agreement too-- even if they can't resell it- so they have no easy out either.

Again I'd encourage detailed discussion the deal go here instead:

Last edited:
Gary is wrong about this. The value of a social media platform is in its user base. You can't build that overnight. Elon is right about the Twitter deal accelerating his plans. He will have an immediate user base for his new ideas that would otherwise take years to build up.
I said the same way back when Google bought Youtube for 1.6billion. Seemed like you could do a lot to attract users for that much money. In fairness to me I was just out of HS, but I was wrong.

These demand concerns are surprising to me. Tesla has so much demand it's ridiculous.

The used car market is the best signal, because Tesla, being a firm with a lot of monopoly power, unilaterally sets prices for new Tesla cars and then accepts whatever backlog comes with that, but in contrast the used market is basically an almost perfectly competitive auction involving many used car firms, and so it provides clearer econometrics indicating how much people actually want Tesla cars.

I just checked the US used car market as an example since it's Tesla's main market. On average, 2022 Teslas are selling for several thousand dollars more than the new price from Tesla.com, although that’s comparing just the base new vehicle price with no extras. I see this regardless of whether I look on Cars.com, CarMax, Carvana, Edmunds, TrueCar, or Kelly BlueBook. You can get a fresh new Tesla for less money than one made earlier this year with a previous owner plus wear and tear from thousands of miles of usage simply by being willing to wait some uncertain number of months for delivery. Even when I sort prices lowest to highest for all model years, I see for example that the cheapest 2020 Ys are listing for about $58k and most of them are around $62k. This data indicates strongly that Tesla is voluntarily and benevolently choosing to charge less than the fair market equilibrium price.

This picture aligns perfectly with what we heard on the Q2 earnings call about demand being so strong they don’t even bother to spend time thinking about it and they think prices are embarrassingly high. I don’t think anything has changed much in the last 10 weeks except for production growing.

Link to transcript from Motley Fool.

Additionally, Tesla's limited menu options also indicate overwhelmingly strong demand. Still today you can't buy:
  • Model 3 long range
  • Model Y standard range
  • Model S/X with a single motor, less than 670 horsepower (Lamborghini Huracán is ~630 hp), less than 100 kWh of battery, and no fancy gaming computer
Tesla's entire lineup is sold in just five standard paint colors. The Model Y is likely to pass the Toyota Corolla next year to become the best-selling vehicle by unit volume, yet the Corolla has thirteen paint colors despite being an economy car mostly being bought by people wanting to save money on car expenses. A luxury comparison might be the Audi Q7 with nine paint options, or the Lexus RX with ten. If you want a car that's dark blue, light silver, dark grey, cream, brown, maroon, green, beige, orange, yellow, or any other popular color, you're either getting secondhand work done on your new Tesla or you're buying another brand.

If demand were actually a concern at all, would Tesla continue to keep such a small selection on offer? No, of course not.

Tesla has been trying to reduce wait times for something like two years now, by raising prices which has created the highest profit margins of any high-volume car maker. The wait times are a real problem for Tesla, especially from a customer satisfaction perspective, but also from a pricing perspective. It's a given that at some point their strategy of raising prices to reduce customer wait times, while increasing production constantly, will eventually successfully balance supply with demand. It's also likely that, as production continues to increase, prices will be adjusted as necessary to keep supply and demand as balanced as possible. Yes, that means adjusting prices lower to prevent the ever-increasing production from filling up parking lots.

That should be as easy to understand as controlling a car's throttle to maintain a steady speed when driving through rolling terrain. Because new car buyers are quite price sensitive - a lowered price is a powerful incentive to take the plunge while a higher price can serve to procrastinate buying. Yet there are still people saying there could be a demand problem. With the highest margins of any high-volume automaker, claims like this only serve to identify people who do not understand what they are talking about. If signs are pointing to Tesla having a "demand problem" then legacy auto has had a "demand problem" since the 1960's (as all those cars on dealership lots prove). It's shocking how many people don't understand such basic concepts and yet they are arrogant enough to call themselves "analysts".

I can almost guarantee that Tesla is increasing production so rapidly they will announce price cuts or incentives by the end of the year. That's a good thing as it will make EV's a viable option for a much wider swath of the motoring public. This is a given and should surprise no one. Yet analysts are guaranteed to call it a demand problem and act like it's a surprise and a reason to downgrade Tesla. I don't feed the bears and I don't listen to idiots. More EV's are a good thing. Tesla's goal is to flood the world with so many EV's, and at such low prices, that only people with more money than brains will buy ICE cars.

Huh. Don't know what just happened to the Accountants post, but I was just behind him in posting this:
Gotta think this is the 9000

*Edit: Well, that's interesting. Looks like IDRA pulled their video? It was a 2 minute long vid showing assembly and operation (movement) of a gigapress. I couldn't see any labeling that would indicate the size, but it just looks even bigger than prior units, and not sure why they would create a video that duplicates prior postings.

*2nd edit - looking at IDRA YouTube channel, what I saw today looks like a recut of video material they posted previously. I wasn't aware they had posted Gigapress 9000 stuff before.

Last edited:
Gary is wrong about this. The value of a social media platform is in its user base. You can't build that overnight. Elon is right about the Twitter deal accelerating his plans. He will have an immediate user base for his new ideas that would otherwise take years to build up.

That's true. And the better Elon can monetize that user base, the more valuable that makes Twitter to him. In other words, Twitter is worth more to Elon than it is to, for example, Jeff Bezos.

I also think that Elon's desire to make the world a better place plays into the value he sees in Twitter.

I would say the majority of FSDb users are people who just wanted early access to the software. They didn't give a sh*t about testing and sending feedback. That's why these people complain extra loudly about how FSDb sucks. It didn't meet their expectation. And if their expectation was to find and report bugs, as was the intent of the closed beta program, there'd be little reason to bitch so loudly.

That said, I don't think we can reliably count on FSDb --> FSD GA to move the SP much, esp if Musk sticks to his word and releases it by EoY. FSDb needs a lot more improvement before the masses would consider it good/useful. I've been in the closed beta since the first safety score cohort (v10.2, released Oct 2021), and while it's improved quite a bit, it has a long way to go.

But yeah, no need to complain about how bad FSDb is. If it's that bad, then get out. If that's a tough call, then maybe it's not so bad after all.
Where did those high expectations come from? I'd be interested in seeing the FSD take rate relative to Elon's tweets/comments and grandiose claims, because I imagine most current Beta testers originate from a time when the narrative was Level 5 robotaxis right around the corner, coast-to-coast summon including full self-charging along the way, soon your car will drive around and earn $$$ while you're sleeping or at work, the person is is the driver's seat only for legal reasons, blablabla.

Buying FSD with the expectation of Beta testing is a recent development. In the many years prior, people were being sold an expectation of generalized Robotaxis that were on the verge of realization and not that FSD is a Level 2 ADAS that requires constant driver supervision because it could and still will do the wrong thing at the worst time -- I think it's hard to blame people for being perturbed.

We can debate Elon's wording in these tweets/comments and whether he actually meant what people interpreted them as, but the expectations were set regardless and disappointment was almost guaranteed.

... As soon as Ioniq 6 comes out my Tesla is for sale...
Great Move! Hyundai is morally superior in every way. /s
Here is a single example of their ethical standards:
Take a long look at Chaebol standards. Then compare with Elon Musk's foibles.
Do you really want to make your choice because E. Musk is demonstrably weird in multiple ways? Does he do thinks that so offend that you want to ignore the benefits.
Not for one minute do I want to ignore the failings of our CEO. A close look at every other choice is very likely to reveal the same, or much worse.
For heaven's sake Never ever buy a VW Group product especially Porsche;
Don't buy a US product either after the Japanese internment camps, nuclear bombs and so many other things.

Whatever you do don't look carefully at any other leader than Elon Musk!/s
We probably know Elon far more closely than we have any other leader. He does not lie to us, but he shares thoughts he really has not thought out. He's overly optimistic.

So, Congratulations. You choose a product from a company that you know next nothing about. Since you're buying a Hyundai you probably want stay in their famous resort:
Hyundai Soo Resort Hoengseong. You'll find them on Booking.com.

I came across this executive summary of the clean vehicle credit aspects of the Inflation Reduction Act. I'm bookmarking this for reference because it's a lot easier to read and understand than the actual law, which is written in legalese instead of English.

Thank you for sharing as this is simple and easy to read off the table. Is there such a reference for other homeowner credit for solar, heat pump HVAC/water heater, etc that you found?

Reactions: Gigapress and GOVA
Where did those high expectations come from? I'd be interested in seeing the FSD take rate relative to Elon's tweets/comments and grandiose claims, because I imagine most current Beta testers originate from a time when the narrative was Level 5 robotaxis right around the corner, coast-to-coast summon including full self-charging along the way, soon your car will drive around and earn $$$ while you're sleeping or at work, the person is is the driver's seat only for legal reasons, blablabla.

Troy tracks take rate for new car purchases here:

Through Q2 2022 he has total NA FSD buyers (the only place FSDb is available) at 329,360... of those since the change in FSD description to be clearly only promising L2 city streets (roughly March 2019) we have a little under 60,000 buyers.

So the vast majority came after that change.

In fact the first 2 quarters alone after the change we see more buyers than in the 2.5 years prior.

This make sense because even if overall take rate % has dropped (and it has) it's a percentage of a much larger # of total cars sold.

Note: I'm just going by what the buyer is actually promised when buying FSD, not whatever random "I think probably maybe..." stuff Elon tweeted on any given date.

Second note: Troy doesn't track post-car-purchase FSD buying--- nor subscriptions which didn't even exist after the change, so the % of pre/post L2 change is probably even larger in favor of the post-change folks.

Didn't see this posted here, yet. For the civically-minded Americans among us, the IRS is seeking public comment on aspects of the Inflation Reduction Act, including the application and administration of the Clean Vehicle Credits.

It's an opportunity to provide feedback on the factors and definitions to be considered regarding critical minerals and recycled minerals, the factors regarding defining the components of a battery, how MSRP is calculated, what a "foreign entity of concern" is, what a "registered dealer" is, and the definition of vehicle classes (which could affect whether the Model Y qualifies). Comments can be submitted via www.regulations.gov by typing IRS-2022-0046 in the search field (presently not available, but these are the instructions in the PDF).

More information is available here: IRS asks for comments on upcoming energy guidance | Internal Revenue Service
I realize that the entire industry is struggling to understand the nuances of the IRA, as well as many on TMC in this thread...But the cynic in me looks at legacy auto's track record and the current administration's anti-Tesla/pro union stance and am wondering how likely it is that they are able to influence these terms and calculations to include legacy auto AND exclude Tesla? Has anyone weighed in on the feasibility of this probable endeavor?

Today my next-door neighbour approached me while I was in my garage and started asking questions about by Model 3. The basics: range, how do you charge, how long does it take to charge, is it a comfortable ride. I was excited to tell him (Lexus owner) about my positve experience. What I found interesting is that he seemed more excited than me for validating the BEV experience. I have had my Model 3 for over four years and only today has he approached me asking questions about BEVs.

Nice!

One of my favorite questions to answer is, "How long does it take to charge?".

I generally say, "I don't know" and wait for them to look at me in a confused manner. Then I explain I just plug it in when I get home and the next time I look at it, it's full again and I can see their confusion turn to understanding or even excitement as I confirm it's not a problem.