Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ventured onto TWTR to check out this latest EM / PUTIN nonsense.

What a mistake. The word cesspool to describe it falls far short of the reality.

Need to go stare at a corner for a while.
Yeah, well I’ve been reading in Twitter since I realized the sources for the more informative posts on the Russian-Ukrainian thread are posted there. And then this ”mess” as you noted started appearing. So, I came back over here to get cheered up. Thank goodness for @Gigapress ’s post:). Sheesh, I need a new thing to read when I take work breaks now..

I'm not one to ask for attention, but I hope he sees my response.
1665532268422.png

About stock buy back, I think after Q3 it would become increasingly clear they are raking in more cash than they know what to do with.

They projected 12-18 months of global economy slowdown, so unlikely they would start many new GFs beside the one they were going to announce end of this year.

For the next year or so they will be ramping up Berlin and Austin and raking in even more FCF, and not have much more need for spending.

They need to park those cash somewhere, and TSLA looks like a much better option than Bitcoin at this time.

Depending on how FSD progresses, new factories might be dedicated to RoboTaxi, when they need the money for new factories or their own fleet, it would be after FSD is clearly working and been piloted at smaller scale. Market would be throwing money at Tesla at that point. So even if they need to issue some new stock at that point it would be at a better price, making buy back now a good investment.

Unrelated rants:
On the topic of piloting FSD, one thought struck me today:
They recently added the capability for cars to automatically adjust air suspension on known rough roads. If they expand that to include “known tough turns”, and avoid that in FSD navigation route calculations, they might be able to get from point A to point B pretty well already.
Maybe they don’t want to do that too early so they can collect more data about those difficult cases for training.
But if they want to, they might be able to roll out a pilot program much earlier than people would think, just with that.
If you have the money, recession is the right time for construction. Lower costs for most everything, contractors anxious/desperate for business. If Tesla feels good about their future in the 2nd half of the decade, absent calamity that makes everything moot, and if they judge they have a sufficient cushion beyond construction costs, they should plunge ahead. On the other side of the recession, they would be sitting even prettier.

In all seriousness does that distinction apply to Uncle Leo?

You are no Uncle Leo. I’ve seen your attempts at poetry.

This acrostic poem was a work of art. Robert Frost and Paulo Coelho said it's their favorite TMC poem.

just impressed
by your
collection of
anecdotes
requiring
impressive knowledge
of
cars
and accounting

More astounding coincidence!

We have reached FTC (Full TMC Capitulation) literally days before the first glob of the earnings 1-2 punch slaps the market in the face. These bastards have really done a job on you folks.

If this were TMC back in the day, we'd be having a who-can-buy-the-most-lotto-calls contest!

We have reached FTC (Full TMC Capitulation) literally days before the first glob of the earnings 1-2 punch slaps the market in the face. These bastards have really done a job on you folks.

If this were TMC back in the day, we'd be having a who-can-buy-the-most-lotto-calls contest!
Waiting a bit for the lotto calls. Purchases always seem to be too soon. Don’t even want to talk about what happened with the 3Q P and D.

In all this doom and gloom, I came up with an actually very good reason to be genuinely bullish regarding the fear that China will screw over GigaShanghai.
Basically, there is no chance of that happening, and the reason is Starlink :)

China has several big fears. One of them is losing total communication control over its populace. The other one is giving Taiwan a large communications edge in case China attacks it. China knows that Elon could enable Starlink in both places with the flip of a switch, today. So in a sense China and Elon have each other by the balls - the only true long-term stable solution to a crisis :)

Well it’s not every month your favorite stock makes -30% while revenues growth are +50% :)

At this rate give us 2 more months and we might have some really good deal on brand new shares

In all this doom and gloom, I came up with an actually very good reason to be genuinely bullish regarding the fear that China will screw over GigaShanghai.
Basically, there is no chance of that happening, and the reason is Starlink :)

China has several big fears. One of them is losing total communication control over its populace. The other one is giving Taiwan a large communications edge in case China attacks it. China knows that Elon could enable Starlink in both places with the flip of a switch, today. So in a sense China and Elon have each other by the balls - the only true long-term stable solution to a crisis :)
Widespread deployment of starlink without government approval would be very hard in most countries and next to impossible in China. Someone has to distribute the terminals and the dish has to be mounted with clear line of sight to the satellites.

Last edited:
Widespread deployment of starlink without government approval would be very hard in most countries and next to impossible in China. Someone has to distribute the terminals which have to be mounted with clear line of sight to the satellites.
I think @mars_or_bust was referring primarily to Taiwan... just like in Ukraine it would be a viable weapon if they were invaded by China.

Why does it feel like someone from the Fed is talking everyday and tanking the market each time? Is this constant drivel necessary? Is 0.75 really not priced in at this point regardless?!?
Because they are, and it's intentional. They act like it's just members "speaking their mind" but I don't believe for a second that they don't have these conversations planned.
Easier than that. China still needs Tesla. China doesn't care so much about their domestic market, what they want is to be the new auto export hub and replace Germany and Japan. Tesla makes that possible.