Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Green 2 days in a row so far...queue @StarFoxisDown! about the beta! :)

Gap after the Open filled, then moved on to retake the MA(10)

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-10-18.09-55.png

Shortzes r betting on a bad economy to drag down TSLA. :p

THURSDAY, OCT. 20
8:30 amInitial jobless claimsOct. 15230,000228,000
8:30 amContinuing jobless claimsOct. 8--1.37 million
8:30 amPhiladelphia Fed manufacturing indexOct.-5.0-9.9
10 amExisting home sales (SAAR)Sept.4.70 million4.80 million
10 amLeading economic indicatorsSept.-0.3%-0.3%
1:45 pmFed Gov. Lisa Cook speaks

So, as always, we'll see what happends after the FED comments.

Last edited:
Analysts are basically lazy and want Tesla to give them guidance on what to model for. Tesla doesn't play that game, at least not in the traditional sense of actually projecting a tight range that they plan on hitting. And that's where the average growth of 50%+ per year came from. Because they know not even they can guess each quarter's results with any accuracy, and they will get hammered for any "misses" of a tight range. So they keep it non-specific while still giving a general picture of what they are thinking.

Saying something is "possible" or "achievable" is different from official guidance in the traditional sense and that is not lost on analysts. Saying you are "pushing to reach 50% growth this year" makes it clear it's a hope or a goal, not a projection of what to expect. Microsoft became famous in the 1990's amongst analysts for always giving a nice tight range and then proceeding to beat it by a nice margin. They were hailed as geniuses for being able to manage analysts expectations. But they were selling software which can be replicated almost effortlessly. It's very different from automaking. And they didn't have COVID shutdowns.

I kind of like Tesla's approach of refusing to provide much more than general aspirations and making sure those aspirations accurately reflect what management is thinking.

In many cases TSLA analysts *do* receive specific, unambiguous guidance and still don’t listen, instead inventing their own version of expectations.

Tesla says gross auto margin is going to increase materially and explains why. Analysts subsequently project constant or declining gross margin in 2023.

Tesla says price increases are still in the backlog and ASP will continue rising materially. Analysts project ASP staying the same.

Tesla says demand is out of control. Analysts predict steady or barely growing demand as competition comes.

Tesla says we’ll probably be at 40k per week total car production by the end of 2022 with 5k per week from Berlin and Texas and they’ll probably hit 10k per week sometime next year and should ramp faster than Shanghai did. Analysts project 2M cars delivered in 2023 and like 100k volume from each of Berlin and Texas.

Tesla says a $25k car isn’t even being worked on anymore. Analysts model for it hitting production in a few years anyway.

In many cases TSLA analysts *do* receive specific, unambiguous guidance and still don’t listen, instead inventing their own version of expectations.

Tesla says gross auto margin is going to increase materially and explains why. Analysts subsequently project constant or declining gross margin in 2023.

Tesla says price increases are still in the backlog and ASP will continue rising materially. Analysts project ASP staying the same.

Tesla says demand is out of control. Analysts predict steady or barely growing demand as competition comes.

Tesla says we’ll probably be at 40k per week total car production by the end of 2022 with 5k per week from Berlin and Texas and they’ll probably hit 10k per week sometime next year and should ramp faster than Shanghai did. Analysts project 2M cars delivered in 2023 and like 100k volume from each of Berlin and Texas.

Tesla says a $25k car isn’t even being worked on anymore. Analysts model for it hitting production in a few years anyway.
In other words they don't know squat...but love to put out pretty graphs.

They love to sound smart with wall street lingo....when I played sports we called folks like them posers.

You know who always compliments my car? It's young drive thru workers. They spend all day serving car after car. So they naturally think about which cars they like.

I've lost count of the number of times they tell me how much they love my Tesla and they wish they could get one. It happened again yesterday. Some day, many of them will get that Tesla dream car for their very own.
At 57 years old I finally got my dream car.... and it's a hatchback. Wait, what the heck happened to me?

We are all smart since we all invest in Tesla, but chicken has been smarter when it comes to stock price, market sentiment, and TA. Although it’s true that buying TSLA at $300 won’t be a mistake in a few months/year, I would still rather buy at $200 instead.
The same fool who had Tesla going to $120?

Any fool can be lucky and guess right. Once upon the time we had a fool on Twitter called Sarajh the prophet or whatever with some hopium projections that just happened to time the 2019 explosion perfectly, then he rode that BS out for two years.

You’re lucky until you stop being lucky. Short term price targets are a guessing game, and Wall Street sell side analysts do it just as much for political/sales purposes than to actually try and give an accurate take.

Here’s another example of Chickens. Gives a hyperbolic $120 price target and shorts tesla stock to drive clicks to his personal page, where he profits off suckers like you no matter what the price does. Closes his short and says “great time to dca in.” Boom, now no matter what tesla stock does in the future he’s fully hedged and can say he was right.

Shame on you for peddling that BS. I will harvest all the downvotes on tmc before I allow a normalization or acceptance of narcissistic “influencers” like that to get a meaningful presence in this community.

In other words they don't know squat...but love to put out pretty graphs.

They love to sound smart with wall street lingo....when I played sports we called folks like them posers.
I think some analysts are smarter and know a lot of what we know, just that they have different goals and spew nonsense for their benefit. Especially GJ. He's pretty creative in coming up with stories - smart man with an agenda, and getting paid to do so. But I'm sure there are many following the Wall Street crowd and have no clue... just like my neighbors and friends who STILL have no clue, and STILL wonder how I can get all the way to LA on batteries... same day.

Table with current Q3 forecasts:

1666103921080.png

Yes it does.
it means FSD is included ... My Tesla pre-owned(off lease) Model S that i bought last March had the same wording "capability" which is a bit misleading but the software is included and functioning , clearly you will not have access to FSD Beta yet but the base FSD will be there.

sounds like a good deal if you want FSD

Last edited:
China has indefinitely delayed its latest GDP report, which probably means its economy is doing far worse they want to admit.

Apparently there's a simpler explenation - Zero Covid. Apparently they still physically approve the numbers, and since all the high officials had to be in a bubble in Beijing for the big event, they could not do it.

I'm going Uber-bull at $1.58 per share. Why? I'm hoping that TSLA claims a lot of the deferred tax credits that they have built up. If memory serves me, some of them start to expire in a few months.
Edit: Written before the '/s' was added...

I think they need to become US profitable (and burn through their carry forward losses?) first; then they would be able to put that to use.
It would also get backed out as a one time thing, but really mess up the algobots...

I think they need to become US profitable (and burn through their carry forward losses?) first; then they would be able to put that to use.
It would also get backed out as a one time thing, but really mess up the algobots...

You missed the /s in my edit.

I.e. it was more an off-the-cuff-pie-in-the-sky wish than anything based on actual numbers.

Shortzes r betting on a bad economy to drag down TSLA. :p

THURSDAY, OCT. 20
8:30 amInitial jobless claimsOct. 15230,000228,000
8:30 amContinuing jobless claimsOct. 8--1.37 million
8:30 amPhiladelphia Fed manufacturing indexOct.-5.0-9.9
10 amExisting home sales (SAAR)Sept.4.70 million4.80 million
10 amLeading economic indicatorsSept.-0.3%-0.3%
1:45 pmFed Gov. Lisa Cook speaks

So, as always, we'll see what happends after the FED comments.
It's Tuesday :) but there are two Fed speeches today.

We got this news today which is bringing down macros. Hope NFLX has good earnings!

Except you couldn't because it didn't go that low (so far at least). There's a chance you never will be able to buy at $200.
Ah man you take things so literally…. You can’t think of the possibility of DCA from $210 down? Come on…

There is also a chance you will be able to buy at $200, right? You just have to weight the distribution of probabilities.
Here’s another example of Chickens bullshit. Gives a hyperbolic $120 price target and shorts tesla stock to drive clicks to his personal page, where he profits off suckers like you no matter what the price does. Closes his short and says “great time to dca in.” Boom, now no matter what tesla stock does in the future he’s fully hedged and can say he was right.

Shame on you for peddling that BS. I will harvest all the downvotes on tmc before I allow a normalization or acceptance of narcissistic “influencers” like that to get a meaningful presence in this community.

What personal page? Twitter? You make money on twitter? 😳