Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm watching the GM Investor day.

GM President Mark Reuss is making a point they have serviced 11,000 Tesla's because GM dealers are so trusted. It's a growing business for them!

He did not say what service they do but my best guess buying tires?
But GM doesn't service vehicles, their independent dealers do. Why would they even mention that?

Diess is no longer there. No one else at VW wants EVs.
This.

Fundamentally VW exist to be the biggest auto maker in the world, and to make profit at any cost. Under the top management they also exist to employ as many people as possible, via unions.

They've only ever done the absolute minimum (and often not even that..) to meet emissions and legislation goals. Diess wanted to do a tiny bit more than bare minimum but got held back at every attempt. I think he realized there would be competition they couldnt deal with unless they did.

Now they have a reprieve with the euro7 legislation its back to worrying about those pesky climate things later.

I'm watching the GM Investor day.

GM President Mark Reuss is making a point they have serviced 11,000 Tesla's because GM dealers are so trusted. It's a growing business for them!

He did not say what service they do but my best guess buying tires?
New belts, spark plugs, and timing chains. And the occasional underbody rust protection.

But GM doesn't service vehicles, their independent dealers do. Why would they even mention that?
I sold my Model S to a GMC dealer in NJ this past spring they are basically a Tesla reseller:) wonder if this is widespread?

as we know there is very little service required for Tesla vehicles and GM would have no idea other than to rip off unwitting customers ... how stupid would you have to be to bring your Tesla to a GM dealer ... i suppose in the case where you had no independent garage and the only choice was GM based service center...just to add the guy at GM who finalized my transaction knew very little about Teslas and i spent a lot of time educating him ... salesmen just want to sell/make commision ... Teslas are in demand .. makes sense to me

Last edited:
Reactions: unk45
Yes, it's pretty much what I said. Recession is a macro thing, and the fed is purposely causing it. You are compounding potentially people tightening their budget plus high rates which is a drag on the luxury car market. People are pricing this in. I'm not saying Tesla will not surprise to the upside like how they navigated through 2020 but they have to show that they can.

I don't follow analysts, but when you mention "surprise to the upside", it implies analysts, LOL!. So my question is, have analysts been busy lowering their sales, revenue and profits targets based on recessionary pressures? Or only their share price targets? :rolleyes:

I'm not exaggerating when I say I pay ZERO attention to brokerage analysts. I might see something posted here but it almost never hits my consciousness, at least not in any way that will leave a lasting memory. I try to keep the pollution out. ;)

The comment doesn't make any sense. Why would Tesla be worth zero if FSD doesn't pan out? Sometimes Elon just says random things.
Don't know if you've watched the full thing but Elon talks about his earlier interactions with one of the top automotive investors that formed the foundation for his approach with Tesla: selling new vehicles is typically a very low-margin business and most of the margin comes from servicing after the warranty period expires. And that is also one of the biggest barriers to entry for new car companies, because the angle is to sell new vehicles at basically 0% margin and then recoup your profit down the line.

Aside from robotaxis and increased utilization, full autonomy would unlock a lot of stuff inside cars when people can actually stop paying attention to the driving task.

The comment doesn't make any sense. Why would Tesla be worth zero if FSD doesn't pan out? Sometimes Elon just says random things.
Elon's math is based in exponentials, logarithms, astronomical numbers, and relatives.

Relative to what Tesla will be worth if /when they solve level 5 full self driving, Tesla without that is worthless. Because the valuation difference will be at least an order of magnitude different.

I don't think so. Musk buying TSLA shares now would make him look like a speculator and trader, and a manic-depressive one at that. That's not gonna happen.

Musk has said he doesn't even consider himself an investor, let alone a speculator or trader, Musk is an innovator and engineer, an industrialist, the likes of which the world has never seen. His stock trades are simply to facilitate his innovations that benefit humanity.
Elon belives that he has sold enough TSLA to support Twitter through a long and deep recession, the worst case scenario.

While he thinks that a long and deep recession is possible, he will not be buying TSLA.

Should he have definate evidence that a recession isn't happening or Twitter is in good shape he may buy back.

Odviously the plan is to fix Twitter.

People ignore this comment but it is tremendously important. If I could, I'd give your post ten rec's.
This video was published about 5 months ago, Elon was doing Optimus things at that time, I would have thought that Optimus/FSD link was known to Elon at the time, hence FSD > Robotaxis & Optimus

People misunderstand this comment but here is my interpretation:-

The "basically...zero" is still a lot (1-2 trillion) - the value WITH FSD is much, much higher. I sometimes try to think what it means, but it's guesswork in my opinion.

Tesla as
car company $1-10 trillion
+ robotaxis $10-100 trillion
+ Optimus $100-1000 trillion - but is there a meaningful limit, especially with SpaceX use?

Impossible? Unlikely? Maybe - I don't think anyone can really know. Elon knows more than most. He can be cryptic at times but he's thought about the possibilities and is being honest.

but the the but the overwhelming focus is is solving full self-driving so
38:42
um yeah and that that's essential and like that's really the difference between
38:47
tesla uh being worth a lot of money and being worth basically zero
yeah yeah so

It was during a portion to discuss how they will transform the dealership model. Basically GM's plan is bunch of inventory around country so the dealers don't hold as much inventory.

He was making the point of the value of the GM dealer service./s

Last edited:
I think Mary Barra is correct. In 2025 EV demand will have skyrocketed so they'll have enough pricing power to be able to make a very small profit on those, and gas car demand will have cratered so they'll make a very small profit on those. Equal profits on both: barely any.
You forgot the /s